spring cleaning in gtk-doc for next-next verison (1.21)

spring cleaning in gtk-doc for next-next verison (1.21)

Stefan Sauer-4
hi,

while a gtk-doc 1.20 is brewing with some awesome stuff coming, I like
to remove some legacy features in the cycle afterwards.

1) I'd like to remove 'gtkdoc-scanobj'.
This was used to introspect gtk-objects. The makefile fragments shipped
with gtk-doc aren't calling this for years (since gtkdoc-scanjobj was
introduced).

2) I'd like to remove 'gtkdoc-mktmpl'.
In the old days, gtk-doc works so that it extracted symbol information
from sources and created files under 'tmpl/'. This is where the code was
documented. Then gtk-doc parsed these files and created the docbook
files. A bit later gtk-doc started to support documentation inside the
sources. When I started to send patches to gtk-doc both ways were
supported. My first patches added support for having the remaining docs
in the sources as well. This makes the tmpl files based workflow
obsolete, but therefore all the docs have to be in the sources. This has
several advantages (keeping things up-to-date, not having generated
files in git, faster etc.).

I did some quick checking in my jhbuild checkout dir:
find . -name "configure.*" -exec grep -Hn "GTK_DOC_CHECK" {} \; | grep
-v "flavour[ =]no-tmpl" | egrep -v ":#" | wc -l
66
find . -wholename "*/tmpl" | sort | wc -l
46

I could make a gnome goals style page for this. Does that sound good?

Stefan

Re: spring cleaning in gtk-doc for next-next verison (1.21)

Matthias Clasen-2
Yes, sounds useful.

Re: spring cleaning in gtk-doc for next-next verison (1.21)

Stefan Sauer-4
Small followup:

as per:
for dir in $(find . -wholename "*/tmpl" | cut -d'/' -f2 | sort -u); do
if egrep -q "\-\-flavour.no-tmpl" $dir/configure.*; then echo "$dir has
stale tmpl dirs"; fi; done
these packages have docs/*/tmpl directories in git while using
--flavour=no-tmpl. Please delete the tmpl dirs. Thanks!

cairo-1.12.14 has stale tmpl dirs
evolution has stale tmpl dirs
gdk-pixbuf has stale tmpl dirs
geocode-glib has stale tmpl dirs
glib has stale tmpl dirs
gobject-introspection has stale tmpl dirs
gtk+ has stale tmpl dirs
harfbuzz has stale tmpl dirs
json-glib has stale tmpl dirs
librsvg has stale tmpl dirs
pango has stale tmpl dirs
telepathy-glib has stale tmpl dirs

Stefan

On 02/01/2014 11:58 AM, Stefan Sauer wrote:

> hi,
>
> while a gtk-doc 1.20 is brewing with some awesome stuff coming, I like
> to remove some legacy features in the cycle afterwards.
>
> 1) I'd like to remove 'gtkdoc-scanobj'.
> This was used to introspect gtk-objects. The makefile fragments shipped
> with gtk-doc aren't calling this for years (since gtkdoc-scanjobj was
> introduced).
>
> 2) I'd like to remove 'gtkdoc-mktmpl'.
> In the old days, gtk-doc works so that it extracted symbol information
> from sources and created files under 'tmpl/'. This is where the code was
> documented. Then gtk-doc parsed these files and created the docbook
> files. A bit later gtk-doc started to support documentation inside the
> sources. When I started to send patches to gtk-doc both ways were
> supported. My first patches added support for having the remaining docs
> in the sources as well. This makes the tmpl files based workflow
> obsolete, but therefore all the docs have to be in the sources. This has
> several advantages (keeping things up-to-date, not having generated
> files in git, faster etc.).
>
> I did some quick checking in my jhbuild checkout dir:
> find . -name "configure.*" -exec grep -Hn "GTK_DOC_CHECK" {} \; | grep
> -v "flavour[ =]no-tmpl" | egrep -v ":#" | wc -l
> 66
> find . -wholename "*/tmpl" | sort | wc -l
> 46
>
> I could make a gnome goals style page for this. Does that sound good?
>
> Stefan

Re: spring cleaning in gtk-doc for next-next verison (1.21)

Emmanuele Bassi
hi Stefan;

thanks for looking into this.

On 6 February 2014 15:50, Stefan Sauer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Small followup:
>
> as per:
> for dir in $(find . -wholename "*/tmpl" | cut -d'/' -f2 | sort -u); do
> if egrep -q "\-\-flavour.no-tmpl" $dir/configure.*; then echo "$dir has
> stale tmpl dirs"; fi; done
> these packages have docs/*/tmpl directories in git while using
> --flavour=no-tmpl. Please delete the tmpl dirs. Thanks!
>
> json-glib has stale tmpl dirs

you probably have a bad/stale clone, because there's no tmpl/
directory in the Git repository.

ciao,

W: http://www.emmanuelebassi.name
B: http://blogs.gnome.org/ebassi/