recommendations for new laptop as existing one could crash.

recommendations for new laptop as existing one could crash.

Karan Ahuja
hi guys ,

I am new to gtk app development but excited about it.

I am currently using dell inspiron with ubuntu 16.04 and all is ok.

However - I had purchased this laptop computer in 2010.
so i am fearful that it could crash.
also currently at startup - i always have to remove the battery and rub it
against a piece of cloth about 30 times and immediately insert it.
if i do not do this - the computer does not start :)
This needs to be done 60 percent of the startup times.
This is embrassing in a co working space.

So i was thinking to upgrade to a new laptop and gradually phase out the
existing one.
Could you guys working on gtk+ recommend a good laptop and operating system.

I am looking for good hardware to develop gtk apps.

I shall look forward to your replies to make the acquisition :)

Thanks and best regards ,
Karan

Re: recommendations for new laptop as existing one could crash.

Karan Ahuja
Has anyone tried macbook air with fedora?

As macbook air specs, cost look good.

Cheers,
Karan

On 5 Jun 2017 17:45, "Karan Ahuja" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi guys ,
>
> I am new to gtk app development but excited about it.
>
> I am currently using dell inspiron with ubuntu 16.04 and all is ok.
>
> However - I had purchased this laptop computer in 2010.
> so i am fearful that it could crash.
> also currently at startup - i always have to remove the battery and rub it
> against a piece of cloth about 30 times and immediately insert it.
> if i do not do this - the computer does not start :)
> This needs to be done 60 percent of the startup times.
> This is embrassing in a co working space.
>
> So i was thinking to upgrade to a new laptop and gradually phase out the
> existing one.
> Could you guys working on gtk+ recommend a good laptop and operating
> system.
>
> I am looking for good hardware to develop gtk apps.
>
> I shall look forward to your replies to make the acquisition :)
>
> Thanks and best regards ,
> Karan

Re: recommendations for new laptop as existing one could crash.

jcupitt
I've been happy with my xps-13, fwiw.

https://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2017/01/dell-xps-13-ubuntu-review-2017/

It's £1200 for the one with Ubuntu pre-installed. Fedora works well
too, apparently.

John

Re: recommendations for new laptop as existing one could crash.

Chris Green
[hidden email] wrote:
> I've been happy with my xps-13, fwiw.
>
> https://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2017/01/dell-xps-13-ubuntu-review-2017/
>
> It's £1200 for the one with Ubuntu pre-installed. Fedora works well
> too, apparently.

The other widely recommended laptops for Linux are Lenovo Thinkpad X
and T series.  I just recently bought a T470 ex-demo off eBay for
£650, it runs xubuntu 17.04 beautifully.  Before that I was using a
T430 and we also have two X201s running xubuntu.

--
Chris Green
·