pango vs. libraqm

Gtk+ - Internationalization mailing list
Hello Pango wizards,

Could someone provide an overview (via a bulleted list, perhaps) of what additional functionality Pango provides, over something minimal like libraqm?

I'm asking because I'm trying to understand text layout at a deeper level, without having to get my hands too dirty (prematurely) poring over source code. But I fully expect that will be necessary before long ...

(On that note, thank you Behdad for "State of Text Rendering" - very helpful)

cheers,
-d

Re: pango vs. libraqm

Behdad Esfahbod-3
Hi Daniel,

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 7:34 PM Daniel G via gtk-i18n-list <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Pango wizards,

Could someone provide an overview (via a bulleted list, perhaps) of what additional functionality Pango provides, over something minimal like libraqm?

Comparing PangoLayout to libraqm is valid.  As far as I understand, and Khaled can correct me, raqm does not do font fallback and line breaking currently, nor does it do font enumeration.  Raqm is designed to add to applications that otherwise have a very simplistic view of text rendering. Ie. they use FreeType and a single font to render single-line text (think, movie subtitles...).  Raqm can very easily add complex text rendering support to such systems.

I'm asking because I'm trying to understand text layout at a deeper level, without having to get my hands too dirty (prematurely) poring over source code. But I fully expect that will be necessary before long ...

(On that note, thank you Behdad for "State of Text Rendering" - very helpful)

Thanks.  Needs update...

cheers,
-d

Re: pango vs. libraqm

Gtk+ - Internationalization mailing list
Thank you both for the responses, I appreciate it!

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 3:00 PM Khaled Hosny <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 04:46:54PM -0500, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
> Comparing PangoLayout to libraqm is valid.  As far as I understand, and
> Khaled can correct me, raqm does not do font fallback and line breaking
> currently, nor does it do font enumeration.  Raqm is designed to add to
> applications that otherwise have a very simplistic view of text rendering.
> Ie. they use FreeType and a single font to render single-line text (think,
> movie subtitles...).  Raqm can very easily add complex text rendering
> support to such systems.

Right.

(Raqm supports using multiple fonts, so in theory one can implement font
fallback on top of that, but I’m not aware of any Raqm clients that do
that).

Regards,
Khaled