pango-view --backend=cairo doesn't use fontconfig - why not?

pango-view --backend=cairo doesn't use fontconfig - why not?

pango

pango-view --backend=cairo doesn't use fontconfig - why not?

I compiled cairo & pango with fontconfig enabled.

pango-view backends aft and ft2 do use fontconfig, cairo doesn't.

Whant can I do to enable fontconfig in pangocairo?

--
thanks,
paul.

On 2018-04-25, at 16:40, Dov Grobgeld <[hidden email]> wrote:

I don't know what you are trying to achieve, but perhaps https://github.com/dov/paps can be of help? It uses both cairo, pango, and fontconfig (since that is what pango uses by default).

Regards,
Dov

Unfortunately no.

What I'm trying to achieve is using rrdtool with DejaVuSansMono font. That works fine on Centos6 and Fedora27, but not on the port to Mac for Munin that I'm working on, and I really don't understand what is happening.

I've built from source freetype fontconfig dejavu-fonts cairo harfbuzz pango rrdtool.

cairo ./configure has this output:

The following font backends:
  User:          yes (always builtin)
  FreeType:      yes
  Fontconfig:    yes
  Win32:         no (requires a Win32 platform)
  Quartz:        no (disabled, use --enable-quartz-font to enable)

I've created several test programs, but pango-view has the benefit of being an official program. It defaults to using cairo, and cairo has the fontconfig backend, so why is fontconfig not used?

I've tried the cairo mailing list ([hidden email]) but my messages are not posted, and cairo irc (irc.freenode.net #cairo) where nobody is talking.

paul.

Re: pango-view --backend=cairo doesn't use fontconfig - why not?

Behdad Esfahbod-3
On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 4:27 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

pango-view --backend=cairo doesn't use fontconfig - why not?

What makes you think so?

On 2018-04-25, at 22:19, Behdad Esfahbod <[hidden email]> wrote:

What makes you think so?

please note: I'm talking about my own installation here.

- the output of mango-view with backend xft or ft2 is the real dejavusansmono. backend cairo is helvetica.
- opensnoop (open/close tracer for mac osx) show open for helvetica and not for fc libs.
- setting FC_DEBUG shows nothing for cairo and everything for the other 2.

my latest hunch is that it has to do with the quartz and x11 options for macports compilations. it seems that if i disable quartz and enable x11 it works, and i'm now trying to prove that now. on macports one cannot disable quartz so this takes a long patch cycle.

On 2018-04-25, at 23:25, Behdad Esfahbod <[hidden email]> wrote:

Try setting env var PANGOCAIRO_BACKEND=fc

It works.

Thanks!
paul.