gtk on windows 10

Kasper Peeters-2
I have successfully compiled a previously linux-only gtk-based program
on Windows 10 using the vcpkg packages. Things run, but the look is not
good yet.

What is the up-to-date status of getting gtk apps on Windows 10 to look
as native as possible? I tried a etc\gtk-3.0\settings.ini file with
content

   [Settings]
   gtk-theme-name=win32

which does give things a Windows 7ish look, but all window decorations
(close/max/min) are broken and show the default 'grey picture' icon.
In fact, I get this problem with any theme, not just win32.
I am running gtk-3.22.19 (which is what is current in vcpkg).

So concretely:

  - What's the best way right now to get a Windows 10 look with gtk apps
    on Windows 10? Is there anything like builtin like 'win32' but with
    updated look? If not, what's the recommended theme?

  - How do I get the window decorations to show up properly? (do I need
    to install a theme engine or something like that?).

Thanks,
Kasper

Re: gtk on windows 10

Allin Cottrell
On Fri, 9 Mar 2018, Kasper Peeters wrote:

> I have successfully compiled a previously linux-only gtk-based program
> on Windows 10 using the vcpkg packages. Things run, but the look is not
> good yet.
>
> What is the up-to-date status of getting gtk apps on Windows 10 to look
> as native as possible? I tried a etc\gtk-3.0\settings.ini file with
> content
>
>   [Settings]
>   gtk-theme-name=win32
>
> which does give things a Windows 7ish look, but all window decorations
> (close/max/min) are broken and show the default 'grey picture' icon.

This may not be what you want to hear ;-) But you get a nice,
pretty-much-native appearance on Windows 10 out of the box when
using gtk2 with the MS-Windows theme and the libwimp engine (which
is the default on Windows). Latest version 2.24.32.

If you're using features specific to gtk3, of course, that won't do
it for you.

Allin Cottrell
LRN

Re: gtk on windows 10

LRN
On 10.03.2018 1:36, Kasper Peeters wrote:
> I have successfully compiled a previously linux-only gtk-based program
> on Windows 10 using the vcpkg packages. Things run, but the look is not
> good yet.
>
> What is the up-to-date status of getting gtk apps on Windows 10 to look
> as native as possible?

You can run with GTK_CSD=0, but it will only work on windows that do not
require CSD (the "require CSD" bit is up to the developer of an application; if
it needs CSD, there's nothing you can do). Either way, that would only affect
window decorations, not the widgets themselves.

It's possible to install a theme that makes gtk3 look more windows-ish (not
just decorations, but all of the widgets). The "win32" theme was one attempt to
do that, but in my opinion it fell short, and it's not maintained, as far as i
know. The "win32" theme uses parts of Windows theming API to draw things, which
makes it look more native in some places, but Windows theming API really sucks
(the things it lets you draw are stuck in Windows 7 era or something...).
It might be possible to make a pure-CSS "Windows" theme just making GTK theme
engine draw something Windows-like, without using Windows theming API. However,
i do not want to spend time doing that (besides, i don't know CSS very well).
Unless you find someone who does, you're out of luck.

So the answer to your question is "you can't". There are some things that can
be improved about the whole decorations situation (i prototyped some of them,
looks promising), but for the widgets themselves the things described above are
really all there is to it.

Re: gtk on windows 10

Luca Bacci-2
Hi Kasper,

As Allin said, you can get really good results if you stick with Gtk2 and use MS-Windows theme and libwimp.dll engine. As an example of that you can download audacious media player (https://audacious-media-player.org/download) and see how it looks like.
For Gtk3 I got good results by

1) using the Windows 10 Gtk3 theme by b00merang Project (https://b00merang.weebly.com/redmond-collection.html)
2) setting the right font (the one used by default in Windows) in etc\gtk-3.0\settings.ini. Add the line

gtk-font-name=Segoe UI 9

Luca

[...]

Daniel Boles

Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2018 15:19:06 +0100
From: Luca Bacci <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: gtk on windows 10

 Hi Kasper,

As Allin said, you can get really good results if you stick with Gtk2 and
use MS-Windows theme and libwimp.dll engine.

You can get results that *some* people might think *look* "really good". That aside, I don't think advising sticking with GTK+ 2 makes for good advice.

Why not, instead, get someone interested in using a modern version of the toolkit - perhaps even enough that they will look into maintaining a theming engine that will provide what they want?

Fwiw, I do use GTK+ on Windows semi-frequently, but (A) I'm probably a minority there and (B) I actually *like* that it has its own theme, so I don't have to make theming changes targeting 2 different look-and-feels. I wonder if these 2 points aren't part of the reason that Windows-style theming has apparently fallen by the wayside a little.

Re: gtk on windows 10

Luca Bacci-2
Yes Daniel I think that Gtk3 is better in many ways, I didn't intend to advise Gtk2 over Gtk3

Luca