gtk-doc output options

Stefan Sauer-4
Since people regular illy complain about the slowness of gtk-doc I'd
like to evaluate some options. First the slowness is due to using the
docbook-xsl stylesheets to produce html/pdf and optionally man pages.
One main to get a huge speedup would be to drop the whole docbook
toolchain and generate the html output directly from the comment blocks
in the code. A nice side effect would be much higher portability.

Below is a link to a survey to learn how important pdf/man support would
be. Please note that man support means outputting one man-page for each
refentry. This is not about dropping output of man-pages for PROGRAM
sections (though we need to rethink the tooling here). Please fill the
poll, it will be up until end of this year.

http://www.polljunkie.com/poll/tiazer/gtkdoc-output-formats

Getting there is quite a bit of work. I am working on coming up with a
smooth transition plan. For questions, feel free to ask, come to #gtkdoc
to discuss etc.

Thanks,
  Stefan

Re: gtk-doc output options

Philip Withnall-2
On Sun, 2017-11-12 at 17:08 +0100, Stefan Sauer wrote:

> Since people regular illy complain about the slowness of gtk-doc I'd
> like to evaluate some options. First the slowness is due to using the
> docbook-xsl stylesheets to produce html/pdf and optionally man pages.
> One main to get a huge speedup would be to drop the whole docbook
> toolchain and generate the html output directly from the comment
> blocks
> in the code. A nice side effect would be much higher portability.
>
> Below is a link to a survey to learn how important pdf/man support
> would
> be. Please note that man support means outputting one man-page for
> each
> refentry. This is not about dropping output of man-pages for PROGRAM
> sections (though we need to rethink the tooling here). Please fill
> the
> poll, it will be up until end of this year.
>
> http://www.polljunkie.com/poll/tiazer/gtkdoc-output-formats
>
> Getting there is quite a bit of work. I am working on coming up with
> smooth transition plan. For questions, feel free to ask, come to
> #gtkdoc
> to discuss etc.
Thanks for putting time and thought into this, Stefan. I appreciate
your continued efforts on gtk-doc.

Perhaps the poll could be clarified by pointing to some example output
in each format (HTML, PDF, man). Pointing to some man output,
especially, would help, since I suspect many people aren’t familiar
with what’s available there.

Philip