gio enhancement.

Bruggemann Eddie
Hi to everybody,

Some ideas for enhance GIO.

---

Why not include encrypting into GIO per example a function:

```C

GFile *g_file_encrypt(GFile *file, GEnryptAlgo algorithm) ;

```

---

Or For multimedia files (Video, Music, Image) providing a way to access
the meta-data:

in a type like this:

GMediaFileInfo

---

Else because Gtk has a library for the font (pango) for drawing (cairo)
for images (gdk_pixbuf), and so on...

Why not get a library for playing sounds ?

In the hope to be heard,

mrcyberfighter.

Re: gio enhancement.

Philip Withnall-2
Hi,

On Thu, 2017-04-13 at 10:14 +0200, Bruggemann Eddie wrote:

> Hi to everybody,
>
> Some ideas for enhance GIO.
>
> ---
>
> Why not include encrypting into GIO per example a function:
>
> ```C
>
> GFile *g_file_encrypt(GFile *file, GEnryptAlgo algorithm) ;
>
> ```
>
> ---
>
> Or For multimedia files (Video, Music, Image) providing a way to
> access
> the meta-data:
>
> in a type like this:
>
> GMediaFileInfo
>
> ---
>
> Else because Gtk has a library for the font (pango) for drawing
> (cairo)
> for images (gdk_pixbuf), and so on...
>
> Why not get a library for playing sounds ?
GStreamer exists for playing sounds. Putting functionality for
encryption or playing sounds into GIO itself would pull in a lot of
code which would not be used by most projects which depend on GIO.

Instead, you should be looking at adding functions to those libraries
which take a GFile as a parameter.

Are you looking to fill a specific gap in functionality for a project
you’re working on?

Philip

Re: gio enhancement.

Sébastien Wilmet-2

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 10:14:08AM +0200, Bruggemann Eddie wrote:

> Or For multimedia files (Video, Music, Image) providing a way to access the
> meta-data:
>
> in a type like this:
>
> GMediaFileInfo
>
> ---
>
> Else because Gtk has a library for the font (pango) for drawing (cairo) for
> images (gdk_pixbuf), and so on...
>
> Why not get a library for playing sounds ?

GStreamer [1] can be used for media files metadata and for playing
sounds. For image metadata, I don't know, but you can look at the code
of eog [2] for example to see how it retrieves the image properties.

[1] https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/
[2] https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/EyeOfGnome

--
Sébastien