can't run multiple gtkmm programs in Window 7

can't run multiple gtkmm programs in Window 7

jmsiino_sr@sbcglobal.net
I can't run multiple gtkmm programs in Window 7.  If I try to run different compiled gtkmm gcc compile exe files, only the first one runs.  A second exe won't start.

John

Re: can't run multiple gtkmm programs in Window 7

Daniel Boles
More info is needed. What programs? Are all of these running GtkApplications with the same app ID? What are the compiled binaries called? How do you run them?

Re: can't run multiple gtkmm programs in Window 7

Chris Vine-3
On Thu, 17 May 2018 07:37:15 +0000 (UTC)
John Siino <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I can't run multiple gtkmm programs in Window 7.  If I try to run different
> compiled gtkmm gcc compile exe files, only the first one runs.  A second
> exe won't start.
> John

If these are programs that you have written yourself, perhaps you are
passing the same application id for each to Gtk::Application.
Application id's must normally be unique.

Re: can't run multiple gtkmm programs in Window 7

jmsiino_sr@sbcglobal.net
Daniel,
Gtk Apps with the same App ID - I bet that's it right there.  I try changing the App ID tonight.

Thanks for the reply

More info is needed. What programs? Are all of these running GtkApplications with the same app ID? What are the compiled binaries called? How do you run them?

Re: can't run multiple gtkmm programs in Window 7

jmsiino_sr@sbcglobal.net
I'll try that tonight.  Thanks Chris.

John M. Siino, PE, SE

On 17 May 2018 at 21:27, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Daniel,
Gtk Apps with the same App ID - I bet that's it right there.  I try changing the App ID tonight.

Thanks for the reply
No prob. That's probably it. That catches a few people out!

There is the Gio::APPLICATION_NON_UNIQUE flag, which might help, although it may or may not be the appropriate thing depending on your specific case; if not, you'd want to ensure the different processes use different app IDs. Anyway, info on it: https://developer.gnome.org/glibmm/2.52/group__giommEnums.html#ga493d914cf0a466cc9c6b18a44c5d345e

Re: can't run multiple gtkmm programs in Window 7

jmsiino_sr@sbcglobal.net
That was it. I changed the ID and I was able to run two side by side.  I need to remember to change the ID when I revise and compile a new iteration.

thank you Chris and Daniel for helping me out.

John M. Siino
775-848-4794
[hidden email]