Yes, particularly Glade3

123

Yes, particularly Glade3

Gage Morgan
Glade2 support is long past due, and I have no clue how to get it in
there. I am new here, and I am having troubles. I can install it on
Ubuntu, but glade3 particularly and some of the others located in /ext
aren't showing up. I have no clue how to develop for this project, so
any pointers will be appreciated. I am also interested on getting this
program back on track as it's something I want to use to make a set of
default programs for an OS my friend and I have been working on.

If there is any way I can help, I will. But first I need to find someone
out there who is already active, and right now all I hear is radio
silence...

--MGage--

Re: Yes, particularly Glade3

Gage Morgan
Good Afternoon Madeleine,

What you happen to be using is GTK2, which was replaced years ago. Although some may say that GTK3 is relatively new, that would be what I'd assume was due to its role in the controversial GNOME3 development. Timeframes for these two I currently don't have on me.

Even worse, Glade3 has been out since August 12. 2006. So even though Glade 3.8 can be used with GTK2, I can't find a package for GTK2. Essentially, even the docs on gtk.php.net need an overhaul, which I would have a hard time writing because I can't even fully utilize PHP-GTK yet.

What I'm looking into is using PHP-GTK with GTK3 and Glade3.(19?). I read the archives and it was said something was in the works, but it doesn't look like anything has come to fruition yet.

Because GTK2 isn't even available anymore, and  PHP-GTK thus won't build for Glade even if it finds support, PHP-GTK needs to be "overhauled" for both packages (Glade3 and GTK3), something of which I have no idea how to do. I emailed Andrei directly about helping out, but he seems to not have been in his inbox for a while.

Also, Windows for some odd reason has both Glade3 and GTK3 for PHP-GTK, but right now neither are built-in for Linux. I use Ubuntu and without these, PHP-GTK will stand a sitting duck. It's not dead, there's just not enough people. If whoever over here is still planning PHP-GTK3 that was mentioning it in January, please post an update on the fact that you are indeed working on a 3rd update or planning a 3rd update to the main page at gtk.php.net. I realize there have been some posts to an extent on gtk.php.net, but none seem to say anything about what the actual development happening right now is, just that "it's still happening."

Also, in order to attract more people, there needs to be some "uniformization" with the website itself. The gtk.php.net will officially be pronounced a living project again when the website can make a PHP-GTK blue theme that goes along with the main site's theme at php.net. The current site looks like what php.net used to look like, but not what the actual php.net looks like anymore. If we can make PHP-GTK's website look like a blue version on par with php.net's current purple version, then the people come are gonna be like "When did this happen? Just yesterday it looked outdated!!"

Even though the saying goes "Don't judge a book by it's cover," people will always end up doing just that. So, who in this project has been working on PHP-GTK3?

(If there are any corrections to what I just said about Glade and GTK, don't mention them here because I will likely figure them out as time goes on, all I'm requesting is that somebody puts it out there that PHP-GTK3 is in fact underway and what the game plan is, even if incomplete)

> On Jun 19, 2015, at 5:18 PM, Madeleine D. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> G -
>
> It depends on what you're looking for.  I am the developer for an active
> PHP-Gtk2 application in Medical Billing.  We've been running our
> customers on various versions/updates for about 6 years.
>
> Currently, we run on Win/Mac/Ubuntu with pretty good success.  But we
> haven't spent a lot of time on technie details, like Glade, etc.  We
> usually just take from whatever port is already available.
>
> If I can help, I will.
>
> Madeleine D.
>

>> On 06/19/2015 01:05 PM, M. Gage Morgan wrote:
>> Glade2 support is long past due, and I have no clue how to get it in
>> there. I am new here, and I am having troubles. I can install it on
>> Ubuntu, but glade3 particularly and some of the others located in /ext
>> aren't showing up. I have no clue how to develop for this project, so
>> any pointers will be appreciated. I am also interested on getting this
>> program back on track as it's something I want to use to make a set of
>> default programs for an OS my friend and I have been working on.
>>
>> If there is any way I can help, I will. But first I need to find someone
>> out there who is already active, and right now all I hear is radio
>> silence...
>>
>> --MGage--

Re: Yes, particularly Glade3

Gage Morgan
Are you saying I should go over to IRC? I did look at the resources page, and I did see links to programs made with PHP-GTK, but I'm talking about PHP-GTK itself. Also, the site itself needs a design upgrade to match up as a blue version of php.net. Anyone visiting will see what gtk.php.net looks like now and think that it is slightly outdated. I will go rescan the Resources page.

> [...]
>>
>> (If there are any corrections to what I just said about Glade and GTK, don't mention them here because I will likely figure them out as time goes on, all I'm requesting is that somebody puts it out there that PHP-GTK3 is in fact underway and what the game plan is, even if incomplete)
>>

>>> On Jun 19, 2015, at 5:18 PM, Madeleine D. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> G -
>>>
>>> It depends on what you're looking for.  I am the developer for an active
>>> PHP-Gtk2 application in Medical Billing.  We've been running our
>>> customers on various versions/updates for about 6 years.
>>>
>>> Currently, we run on Win/Mac/Ubuntu with pretty good success.  But we
>>> haven't spent a lot of time on technie details, like Glade, etc.  We
>>> usually just take from whatever port is already available.

Re: Yes, particularly Glade3

Gage Morgan
He said he lost the will to participate, though his changes would have been nice to have in the main repo so that others could contribute. I'm getting 404 errors from the sites listed under his name. This was located in the archive of this list.

> On Jun 19, 2015, at 6:41 PM, Madeleine D. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> G -
>
> AFAICT, one of the developers from Brazil is working on redoing the web
> site.
>
> His email:  [hidden email].  You can either email him, or
> review the archives for this list for status.
>
> hth,
> Madeleine D.
>

>> On 06/19/2015 03:37 PM, Gage Morgan wrote:
>> Are you saying I should go over to IRC? I did look at the resources page, and I did see links to programs made with PHP-GTK, but I'm talking about PHP-GTK itself. Also, the site itself needs a design upgrade to match up as a blue version of php.net. Anyone visiting will see what gtk.php.net looks like now and think that it is slightly outdated. I will go rescan the Resources page.
>>

>>> On Jun 19, 2015, at 6:14 PM, Madeleine D. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> Gage -
>>>
>>> You need to go out the chat channel for this project.  See the resources
>>> page on the web site.
>>>
>>> The current development activity, such as it is, is there.
>>>
>>> Madeleine D.

Re: Yes, particularly Glade3

Gage Morgan
I emailed him about it.

> On Jun 19, 2015, at 6:53 PM, Gage Morgan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> He said he lost the will to participate, though his changes would have been nice to have in the main repo so that others could contribute. I'm getting 404 errors from the sites listed under his name. This was located in the archive of this list.
>

>> On Jun 19, 2015, at 6:41 PM, Madeleine D. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> G -
>>
>> AFAICT, one of the developers from Brazil is working on redoing the web
>> site.
>>
>> His email:  [hidden email].  You can either email him, or
>> review the archives for this list for status.
>>
>> hth,
>> Madeleine D.
>>

>>> On 06/19/2015 03:37 PM, Gage Morgan wrote:
>>> Are you saying I should go over to IRC? I did look at the resources page, and I did see links to programs made with PHP-GTK, but I'm talking about PHP-GTK itself. Also, the site itself needs a design upgrade to match up as a blue version of php.net. Anyone visiting will see what gtk.php.net looks like now and think that it is slightly outdated. I will go rescan the Resources page.

Re: Yes, particularly Glade3

Gage Morgan
I may need to make changes, because the reason I took interest in this project was because a teacher told me he didn't use PHP because it was only used for web scripting. I also want to use it as a way to develop some of the applications for an operating system my friend and I are building (he likes design, hence glade, and I like actual code, hence PHP). It seems that all that "PHP-GTK" had going for it was upgrading PHP counterparts. What it sounds like it needs is a total overhaul, and I may end up doing just that, but it would sound easier if I had the code that Alexandre made for php 5.4. I emailed him asking about the website as well, and I'd like to know how to gain commit access, editing, etc., because I need this. It will make development much more easier because while my friend designs without a clue how to program, I can then take his designs and make them work.

And Andrei jumped ship? Man, if I jumped ship, I'd find someone to take my place before leaving.

I realize that other bindings are available like Python, but I prefer to not have to learn how to reinvent the wheel. I need Alexandre's work to build off of as he did a lot by upping the support to 5.4. I would have liked for him to have gotten up to 5.6, but it doesn't make a difference like the other two components. I will try to get my hands on his work and continue on, because I have reasons for developing forward even if they aren't specifically for this whole project.

On a further note, if I get my hands on the correct stuff needed, I will make the third attempt to bring this back, particularly to make it heard that PHP cannot be downsized because it doesn't need a compiler. Its a powerful language that can be used to make both websites and applications, and I want to keep it that way.

Also, any changes I make will be released back into the community.

> On Jun 19, 2015, at 7:10 PM, Madeleine D. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> G -
>
> Bummer.  This has been the problem all along.  Nobody with time or
> energy to devote to the project, since the creator jumped ship.
>
> You might try Bruno at [hidden email].  Last I knew he had a github
> of Gtk3 in the works.
>
> hth.
>

>> On 06/19/2015 03:53 PM, Gage Morgan wrote:
>> He said he lost the will to participate, though his changes would have been nice to have in the main repo so that others could contribute. I'm getting 404 errors from the sites listed under his name. This was located in the archive of this list.
>>

>>> On Jun 19, 2015, at 6:41 PM, Madeleine D. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> G -
>>>
>>> AFAICT, one of the developers from Brazil is working on redoing the web
>>> site.
>>>
>>> His email:  [hidden email].  You can either email him, or
>>> review the archives for this list for status.
>>>
>>> hth,
>>> Madeleine D.

Re: Yes, particularly Glade3

Gage Morgan
Just asked Bruno about his version of v3, and I don't have replies from either one. I want to make things uniform, and so in order to do that, I would request that if both Bruno and Alexandre were working on separate projects and one just stopped abruptly and had components that the other one didn't have for their version of v3, then take the code of the now inactive developer's code to implement the missing components. Again, merging projects could save some time in the long run as both made improvements upon what somebody else left to die.

> On Jun 19, 2015, at 7:36 PM, Gage Morgan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I may need to make changes, because the reason I took interest in this project was because a teacher told me he didn't use PHP because it was only used for web scripting. I also want to use it as a way to develop some of the applications for an operating system my friend and I are building (he likes design, hence glade, and I like actual code, hence PHP). It seems that all that "PHP-GTK" had going for it was upgrading PHP counterparts. What it sounds like it needs is a total overhaul, and I may end up doing just that, but it would sound easier if I had the code that Alexandre made for php 5.4. I emailed him asking about the website as well, and I'd like to know how to gain commit access, editing, etc., because I need this. It will make development much more easier because while my friend designs without a clue how to program, I can then take his designs and make them work.
>
> And Andrei jumped ship? Man, if I jumped ship, I'd find someone to take my place before leaving.
>
> I realize that other bindings are available like Python, but I prefer to not have to learn how to reinvent the wheel. I need Alexandre's work to build off of as he did a lot by upping the support to 5.4. I would have liked for him to have gotten up to 5.6, but it doesn't make a difference like the other two components. I will try to get my hands on his work and continue on, because I have reasons for developing forward even if they aren't specifically for this whole project.
>
> On a further note, if I get my hands on the correct stuff needed, I will make the third attempt to bring this back, particularly to make it heard that PHP cannot be downsized because it doesn't need a compiler. Its a powerful language that can be used to make both websites and applications, and I want to keep it that way.
>
> Also, any changes I make will be released back into the community.
>

>> On Jun 19, 2015, at 7:10 PM, Madeleine D. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> G -
>>
>> Bummer.  This has been the problem all along.  Nobody with time or
>> energy to devote to the project, since the creator jumped ship.
>>
>> You might try Bruno at [hidden email].  Last I knew he had a github
>> of Gtk3 in the works.
>>
>> hth.
>>

>>> On 06/19/2015 03:53 PM, Gage Morgan wrote:
>>> He said he lost the will to participate, though his changes would have been nice to have in the main repo so that others could contribute. I'm getting 404 errors from the sites listed under his name. This was located in the archive of this list.

Call to Community, Let's Make 2 Projects Into One Whole Release

Gage Morgan
Two developers named Alexandre and Bruno both made their own "forks" of PHP-GTK2 on GitHub. I am requesting that they put aside their differences if any and merge the two into one in order to make PHP-GTK3 a reality. I fthere is any way I can help, I will.

If anyone has a way to get one, the easiest part for me to do to get the project off the ground is one of these and a way to commit to the official SVN for php-gtk on php.net. I guess it didn't take long for me to figure out I'd be doing two projects at one time:

http://gtk.php.net/admin-login.php

If possible, I'd like to redesign the site in accordance to what php.net currently looks like as a website, and if you haven't seen it since before late fall 2013, then I recommend heading over and looking at the design. I can envision a baby-blue theme similar to that of what php-gtk had done before with php.net's former theme. (Design wise, not content!)

Again, this project needs to start getting updated. The components that need the most work are particularly Glade3 and GTK3, as both are particularly needed to say it has support for Glade, and Glade/GTK 2 were both dropped in favor of the 3rd version of each, thus rendering support for Glade in Ubuntu and other distros unusable because the packages required are no longer available, replaced with incompatible third versions.

There seem to be two projects: Both should be merged; you can't have two releases named PHP-GTK3, and if neither are working, I would request both sources to merge and then I would update the end result myself, though I hope that both developers are still working (Alexandre and Bruno) and may merge their projects together despite their differences (if any) to make a more whole PHP-GTK3 release not only possible but closer to being done. If help is needed, when I get back from family vacation in 2-3 weeks from now I will.

Don't give up, the end result is worth the work.

> [...]
>>
>> On a further note, if I get my hands on the correct stuff needed, I will make the third attempt to bring this back, particularly to make it heard that PHP cannot be downsized because it doesn't need a compiler. Its a powerful language that can be used to make both websites and applications, and I want to keep it that way.
>>
>> Also, any changes I make will be released back into the community.
>>

>>> On Jun 19, 2015, at 7:10 PM, Madeleine D. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> G -
>>>
>>> Bummer.  This has been the problem all along.  Nobody with time or
>>> energy to devote to the project, since the creator jumped ship.
>>>
>>> You might try Bruno at [hidden email].  Last I knew he had a github

Re: Yes, particularly Glade3

Alexandre Pereira Bühler
Good evening,

1) Mr. Andrei is no longer involved in the project a few years.
I sent an email to Mr. Andrei asking if I could go with my ideas to make
the active php-gtk project again.
One of the answers I got:
"I think it's great That You want to pick up the project, good luck with
it."

2) I made a short stop in reshaping the site because he wanted to
define how the php-gtk3 will be developed.
Bruno and I agreed that nothing should be reused the source code of PHP-GTK2
And I also have to decide the entry of new components: For example, the
latest version of glade, Cairo and others.

3) We also need to set teams with enough Karma in http://git.php.net/
for documentation, code development for php-gtk3 and project site
maintenance.

4) PHP-gtk3 will be developed from scratch. I will create a repository
this weekend. Where will I put a base extension to start.

5) I want to thank Elizabeth and others who kept the project alive over
the past few years.
Thank you

PS: My nickname in IRC (freenode), channel # php-gtk is Falsificado
My e-mail: [hidden email] or [hidden email]

Translation to Portuguese Brazil

Boa noite,
1) O senhor Andrei já não está envolvido no projeto a alguns anos.
Eu enviei uma e-mail para o senhor Andrei perguntando se eu poderia
seguir com  as minhas idéias para tornar o projeto php-gtk ativo novamente.
Uma das respostas que eu obtive:
"I think it's great that you want to pick up the project, good luck with
it."
2) Eu fiz uma pequena parada na reformulação do site pois queria definir
como o php-gtk3 será desenvolvido.
Bruno e eu concordamos que nada dever ser reaproveitado do código fonte
do PHP-GTK2
E eu tenho também tenho que decidir a entrada de novos componentes: Por
exemplo, a última versão do glade, cairo e outros.
3) Nós também precisamos definir equipes com Karma suficiente no
http://git.php.net/ para a documentação, desenvolvimento do código para
o php-gtk3 e para manutenção do  site do projeto.
4) O PHP-GTK3 será desenvolvido do zero. Eu irei criar um repositório
este final de semana. Onde eu irei colocar um extensão base para começarmos.
5) Quero agradecer a Elizabeth e outros que mantiveram o projeto vivo
durante estes últimos anos.
Obrigado

PS: Meu apelido no irc (freenode) , canal #php-gtk  é falsificado
Meu e-mail: [hidden email] or [hidden email]

--
Alexandre Pereira Bühler
Linux User: 397.546

Simão &  Bühler Ltda (Infobrindes)
http://www.simaoebuhler.com.br
[hidden email]
Telefone: (41) 3039-5428

Infobrindes (Simão &  Bühler Ltda)
Brindes e material promocional.
http://www.infobrindes.com.br
[hidden email]
Telefone: (41) 3082-8667

Re: Call to Community, Let's Make 2 Projects Into One Whole Release

Alexandre Pereira Bühler
MGage
Good evening,
We will start the project from scratch.
Bruno did a few tests.
We will use the gtk3, php version 5.6 or version 7, galde version 3.18
and the latest stable versions of other software.
You have the karma in php.net?
thank you

--
Alexandre Pereira Bühler
Linux User: 397.546

Simão &  Bühler Ltda (Infobrindes)
http://www.simaoebuhler.com.br
[hidden email]
Telefone: (41) 3039-5428

Infobrindes (Simão &  Bühler Ltda)
Brindes e material promocional.
http://www.infobrindes.com.br
[hidden email]
Telefone: (41) 3082-8667

Re: Yes, particularly Glade3

Ángel González
On 20/06/15 03:57, Alexandre Pereira Bühler wrote:
> 2) I made a short stop in reshaping the site because he wanted to
> define how the php-gtk3 will be developed.
> Bruno and I agreed that nothing should be reused the source code of
> PHP-GTK2
> And I also have to decide the entry of new components: For example,
> the latest version of glade, Cairo and others.

Note that GTK3 is better designed for having bindings to other
languages. Basically, this means that many of the files that were
autogenerated for PHP-GTK2 won't be needed.
(sadly, I'm not finding in www.gtk.org the documentation on how to
create a new binding)

> PS: My nickname in IRC (freenode), channel # php-gtk is Falsificado
This doesn't seem to inspire much trust ;)

Thanks for your work

Re: Yes, particularly Glade3

Gage Morgan
He's back and he's going to continue where he left off before, when I can I'm gonna help him partially to learn about the innards of this project and how to rewrite something from scratch among other reasons. All in all, the outcome should be interesting. Kudos to Alexandre (I'll be back to help in a couple of weeks after family vacation is over).

> On Jun 20, 2015, at 11:26 AM, Ángel González <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 20/06/15 03:57, Alexandre Pereira Bühler wrote:
>> 2) I made a short stop in reshaping the site because he wanted to
>> define how the php-gtk3 will be developed.
>> Bruno and I agreed that nothing should be reused the source code of PHP-GTK2
>> And I also have to decide the entry of new components: For example, the latest version of glade, Cairo and others.
>
> Note that GTK3 is better designed for having bindings to other languages. Basically, this means that many of the files that were autogenerated for PHP-GTK2 won't be needed.
> (sadly, I'm not finding in www.gtk.org the documentation on how to create a new binding)
>

>> PS: My nickname in IRC (freenode), channel # php-gtk is Falsificado
> This doesn't seem to inspire much trust ;)
>

> Thanks for your work

Re: Yes, particularly Glade3

Gage Morgan
What karma is needed for project site maintenance and what are the requirements for that karma in particular? That's where I will be fully useful, but I will partially be able to learn the rest (I may need Alexandre to assign me to certain parts of programming, as I've said I'm new but I have php skills and a set of basic C/C++ skills.)

I want site maintenance so that I can retheme the site to look like a blue version of PHP.net as well as contribute to documenting what Alexandre, myself and others have currently added in the code. I myself look at this as an opportunity to learn how language bindings work by helping to develop one.

> On Jun 20, 2015, at 12:26 PM, Gage Morgan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> He's back and he's going to continue where he left off before, when I can I'm gonna help him partially to learn about the innards of this project and how to rewrite something from scratch among other reasons. All in all, the outcome should be interesting. Kudos to Alexandre (I'll be back to help in a couple of weeks after family vacation is over).
>
>>> On Jun 20, 2015, at 11:26 AM, Ángel González <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 20/06/15 03:57, Alexandre Pereira Bühler wrote:
>>> 2) I made a short stop in reshaping the site because he wanted to
>>> define how the php-gtk3 will be developed.
>>> Bruno and I agreed that nothing should be reused the source code of PHP-GTK2
>>> And I also have to decide the entry of new components: For example, the latest version of glade, Cairo and others.
>>
>> Note that GTK3 is better designed for having bindings to other languages. Basically, this means that many of the files that were autogenerated for PHP-GTK2 won't be needed.
>> (sadly, I'm not finding in www.gtk.org the documentation on how to create a new binding)
>>

>>> PS: My nickname in IRC (freenode), channel # php-gtk is Falsificado
>> This doesn't seem to inspire much trust ;)
>>

>> Thanks for your work

Re: Yes, particularly Glade3

Bruno P. Gonçalves
Hello Gage, sorry for delay to answer you, first for my personal issues,
second for my bad english

​For years I have see​n very enthusiasts people, who never seen c/c++
sources and with alot of pression to do the project. So I decided to create
my own repo on github, and make some tests

My tests are not definitively, and has alot of things to think about.
Structures, generators, people to code, and alot other things

I have created this repo about a year ago, and nobody contribute with one
line of code, and think about all php-gtk structure alone can be hard

I think you can see how disappointed I am, but my tests will continue, on
my time, but will continue

Thank you, and whisp me for ANYTHING you need

On Sat, Jun 20, 2015 at 1:39 PM, Gage Morgan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What karma is needed for project site maintenance and what are the
> requirements for that karma in particular? That's where I will be fully
> useful, but I will partially be able to learn the rest (I may need
> Alexandre to assign me to certain parts of programming, as I've said I'm
> new but I have php skills and a set of basic C/C++ skills.)
>
> I want site maintenance so that I can retheme the site to look like a blue
> version of PHP.net as well as contribute to documenting what Alexandre,
> myself and others have currently added in the code. I myself look at this
> as an opportunity to learn how language bindings work by helping to develop
> one.
>
> > On Jun 20, 2015, at 12:26 PM, Gage Morgan <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > He's back and he's going to continue where he left off before, when I
> can I'm gonna help him partially to learn about the innards of this project
> and how to rewrite something from scratch among other reasons. All in all,
> the outcome should be interesting. Kudos to Alexandre (I'll be back to help
> in a couple of weeks after family vacation is over).

> PHP-GTK2
> the latest version of glade, Cairo and others.
> >>
> >> Note that GTK3 is better designed for having bindings to other
> languages. Basically, this means that many of the files that were
> autogenerated for PHP-GTK2 won't be needed.
> >> (sadly, I'm not finding in www.gtk.org the documentation on how to
> create a new binding)

> >> This doesn't seem to inspire much trust ;)
> >>

> >> Thanks for your work

Re: Yes, particularly Glade3

Gage Morgan
Hey Bruno, is it just tests or is it close to a finished product? Shoot me a link to your repo and I'll check it out. Thanks for the support.

--MGage--

> On Jun 21, 2015, at 3:51 PM, Bruno P. Gonçalves <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Gage, sorry for delay to answer you, first for my personal issues,
> second for my bad english
>
> ​For years I have see​n very enthusiasts people, who never seen c/c++
> sources and with alot of pression to do the project. So I decided to create
> my own repo on github, and make some tests
>
> My tests are not definitively, and has alot of things to think about.
> Structures, generators, people to code, and alot other things
>
> I have created this repo about a year ago, and nobody contribute with one
> line of code, and think about all php-gtk structure alone can be hard
>
> I think you can see how disappointed I am, but my tests will continue, on
> my time, but will continue
>
> Thank you, and whisp me for ANYTHING you need
>
> ​
>
> ​
>> On Sat, Jun 20, 2015 at 1:39 PM, Gage Morgan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> What karma is needed for project site maintenance and what are the
>> requirements for that karma in particular? That's where I will be fully
>> useful, but I will partially be able to learn the rest (I may need
>> Alexandre to assign me to certain parts of programming, as I've said I'm
>> new but I have php skills and a set of basic C/C++ skills.)
>>
>> I want site maintenance so that I can retheme the site to look like a blue
>> version of PHP.net as well as contribute to documenting what Alexandre,
>> myself and others have currently added in the code. I myself look at this
>> as an opportunity to learn how language bindings work by helping to develop
>> one.

>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> He's back and he's going to continue where he left off before, when I
>> can I'm gonna help him partially to learn about the innards of this project
>> and how to rewrite something from scratch among other reasons. All in all,
>> the outcome should be interesting. Kudos to Alexandre (I'll be back to help
>> in a couple of weeks after family vacation is over).

>> PHP-GTK2
>> the latest version of glade, Cairo and others.

>> languages. Basically, this means that many of the files that were
>> autogenerated for PHP-GTK2 won't be needed.
>> create a new binding)

Re: Yes, particularly Glade3

Gage Morgan
Is it possible to add temporary support to PHP-GTK2 for GTK3? I realize that a new project needs to be started for a full, bug free experience, but I'm just wondering (I realize patches are normally used for bugs) where I can go with this.

--MGage--

> On Jun 21, 2015, at 3:51 PM, Bruno P. Gonçalves <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Gage, sorry for delay to answer you, first for my personal issues,
> second for my bad english
>
> ​For years I have see​n very enthusiasts people, who never seen c/c++
> sources and with alot of pression to do the project. So I decided to create
> my own repo on github, and make some tests
>
> My tests are not definitively, and has alot of things to think about.
> Structures, generators, people to code, and alot other things
>
> I have created this repo about a year ago, and nobody contribute with one
> line of code, and think about all php-gtk structure alone can be hard
>
> I think you can see how disappointed I am, but my tests will continue, on
> my time, but will continue
>
> Thank you, and whisp me for ANYTHING you need
>
> ​
>
> ​
>> On Sat, Jun 20, 2015 at 1:39 PM, Gage Morgan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> What karma is needed for project site maintenance and what are the
>> requirements for that karma in particular? That's where I will be fully
>> useful, but I will partially be able to learn the rest (I may need
>> Alexandre to assign me to certain parts of programming, as I've said I'm
>> new but I have php skills and a set of basic C/C++ skills.)
>>
>> I want site maintenance so that I can retheme the site to look like a blue
>> version of PHP.net as well as contribute to documenting what Alexandre,
>> myself and others have currently added in the code. I myself look at this
>> as an opportunity to learn how language bindings work by helping to develop
>> one.

>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> He's back and he's going to continue where he left off before, when I
>> can I'm gonna help him partially to learn about the innards of this project
>> and how to rewrite something from scratch among other reasons. All in all,
>> the outcome should be interesting. Kudos to Alexandre (I'll be back to help
>> in a couple of weeks after family vacation is over).

>> PHP-GTK2
>> the latest version of glade, Cairo and others.

>> languages. Basically, this means that many of the files that were
>> autogenerated for PHP-GTK2 won't be needed.
>> create a new binding)

Re: Yes, particularly Glade3

Bruno P. Gonçalves
You can compile php-gtk2 on any linux. You can use gtk2 lib yet. Works fine

My repo is only alot of tests: test to do without generators, test of
structure. I think my structure are to much hard to do, but alot more
flexible

github _DOT_ com/scorninpc/php-gtk3-tests

Thanks'

On Sun, Jun 21, 2015 at 11:19 PM, Gage Morgan <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Is it possible to add temporary support to PHP-GTK2 for GTK3? I realize
> that a new project needs to be started for a full, bug free experience, but
> I'm just wondering (I realize patches are normally used for bugs) where I
> can go with this.
>
> --MGage--
>
> > On Jun 21, 2015, at 3:51 PM, Bruno P. Gonçalves <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Gage, sorry for delay to answer you, first for my personal issues,
> > second for my bad english
> >
> > ​For years I have see​n very enthusiasts people, who never seen c/c++
> > sources and with alot of pression to do the project. So I decided to
> create
> > my own repo on github, and make some tests
> >
> > My tests are not definitively, and has alot of things to think about.
> > Structures, generators, people to code, and alot other things
> >
> > I have created this repo about a year ago, and nobody contribute with one
> > line of code, and think about all php-gtk structure alone can be hard
> >
> > I think you can see how disappointed I am, but my tests will continue, on
> > my time, but will continue
> >
> > Thank you, and whisp me for ANYTHING you need
> >
> > ​
> >
> > ​
> >> On Sat, Jun 20, 2015 at 1:39 PM, Gage Morgan <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> What karma is needed for project site maintenance and what are the
> >> requirements for that karma in particular? That's where I will be fully
> >> useful, but I will partially be able to learn the rest (I may need
> >> Alexandre to assign me to certain parts of programming, as I've said I'm
> >> new but I have php skills and a set of basic C/C++ skills.)
> >>
> >> I want site maintenance so that I can retheme the site to look like a
> blue
> >> version of PHP.net as well as contribute to documenting what Alexandre,
> >> myself and others have currently added in the code. I myself look at
> this
> >> as an opportunity to learn how language bindings work by helping to
> develop
> >> one.

> >> can I'm gonna help him partially to learn about the innards of this
> project
> >> and how to rewrite something from scratch among other reasons. All in
> all,
> >> the outcome should be interesting. Kudos to Alexandre (I'll be back to
> help
> >> in a couple of weeks after family vacation is over).

> >> PHP-GTK2
> >> the latest version of glade, Cairo and others.

> >> languages. Basically, this means that many of the files that were
> >> autogenerated for PHP-GTK2 won't be needed.
> >> create a new binding)

Re: Yes, particularly Glade3

Gage Morgan
Here in about a week I'll be out in the middle of the Carribean without Internet on a cruise ship, so I'm just putting that out there. As for the extreme amount of activity, that probably happened as soon as I got here, as the first person to respond was Madeleine, and it went downhill when I started to "bug" the devs - pun intended. I don't mean to be most of the time, but I end up a walking, talking controversy for only God knows what reason.

After I arrived, I saw a lot of people show up I hadn't seen before, particularly Bruno and Alexandre. I needed this for a project being worked on by myself and my friend, Elijah. So I was persistant and people showed up.

As for the website, does anyone here think a wiki would fit? Anyways, I partially want to retheme the website because this one still uses the legacy theme. So, I started with the mailing list first because I tried IRC and it was like radio silence out there. I just thought this looked like a good place to kickstart, and now look, people!

Anyways, I appreciate the support I've been able to find here, because most communities would rather argue with me for some reason or other, and that rant I just went on (sorry about that, but bureaucracies do happen to piss me off) was one hing that draws negative attention. If it's to the point past that I usually just leave, but this community is starting to dig itself back out of its grave that an assumption made people think it was in. And then that assumption that it was dead put it underground for some time, although it never died officially. Now we're kickstarting, and I cannot wait for about halfway into July, because that's possibly the best time to start trying for karma (I'm writing on an iPad right now) because I'm on vacation with one side of my family but in about a week I'll be heading out to Puerto Rico to board a cruise ship and I'm a bit sad Internet is like $0.50 a minute. I can do some of the basic stuff, but you know it's an iPad, and sometimes carrying a laptop around with you if not at a developer conference or similar event can be a risk. I've taken it to WordCamp, but I'm in a cabin in the woods for about a week. Then there's the TSA that we have to worry about, and my trust with them is low due to past experience (go study up on some regulations etc., before flight because there may be fight beforehand, they are kinda snoopy) and a $500 laptop that works great for $500. I would take it but I have other developer projeccts on there that I don't want someone else to have, and it's running on Ubuntu, which is Linux on physical hardware, and if you know anything about that, you can do bad things with access to the physical hardware.

So, having said that, I'm gonna try to get karma in about two to two and a half weeks, it may toward the middle of next month. Thanks guys, this is why I've stayed. ;)

--MGage--

Re: Yes, particularly Glade3

Ben Ramsey
On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 12:19 PM, Gage Morgan <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> As for the website, does anyone here think a wiki would fit? Anyways, I
> partially want to retheme the website because this one still uses the
> legacy theme. So, I started with the mailing list first because I tried IRC
> and it was like radio silence out there. I just thought this looked like a
> good place to kickstart, and now look, people!

A re-theme would be great!

I don't think we should look to host a wiki on the PHP.net servers, though.
Anything that requires database access or filesystem access (storing files
to disk to serve as a database) can be problematic for portability and
security reasons. We used to have a wiki, for example, and it got clogged
up with spam, so the wiki was taken down.

Maybe we could turn on the wiki for the GitHub repo and use that instead?

Other than my reservations about storage on the server, I fully support
website redesign efforts, and I'll help where I can.

Cheers,
Ben

Re: Yes, particularly Glade3

Gage Morgan
Hello, Good Evening Ben,

I just read this message because earlier today I was busy. I will say that that happens to be the first point of interest for me, but I am also interested in the code. But I want toet the website in sync with today, not last decade, as I told Elizabeth on IRC earlier today.

I happen to have a website (though it's kind of stuck right now) was meant to be a social network but I kind of just quit after I got bored - most projects end up finished.

I will say that as soon as I get the chance, I want to use a similar light blue and dark blue scheme as exhibited on this site, though it may need to be a bit lighter to match aesthetically with the theme.

Also, general question here, is it time to mark PHP-GTK 1 and 2 as archived, due to their age? And more importantly, is it time to stop using DocBook and XSL and actually write it ourselves? Just some food for thought, because this is what some say is difficult, but honestly, when the first release is made for PHP-GTK3, wouldn't it make sense to write documentation specific to the new one? I realize PHP-GTK3 works fine, but if you want Glade and other things, you're pretty much SOL. Just wanting some feedback because this is probably one of the most important part for people other than the software itself. We need documentation and tutorials, which partially helped me until "Hello Glade." Anyways, is it just me, or is it when I came barreling in here, did everyone else just follow? LOL ;) Not a bad thing for a project that needs people to join!

--MGage--

> On Jun 22, 2015, at 2:37 PM, Ben Ramsey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 12:19 PM, Gage Morgan <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> As for the website, does anyone here think a wiki would fit? Anyways, I
>> partially want to retheme the website because this one still uses the
>> legacy theme. So, I started with the mailing list first because I tried IRC
>> and it was like radio silence out there. I just thought this looked like a
>> good place to kickstart, and now look, people!
>
> A re-theme would be great!
>
> I don't think we should look to host a wiki on the PHP.net servers, though.
> Anything that requires database access or filesystem access (storing files
> to disk to serve as a database) can be problematic for portability and
> security reasons. We used to have a wiki, for example, and it got clogged
> up with spam, so the wiki was taken down.
>
> Maybe we could turn on the wiki for the GitHub repo and use that instead?
>
> Other than my reservations about storage on the server, I fully support
> website redesign efforts, and I'll help where I can.
>
> Cheers,
> Ben

123