What is gtkmm default font and size?

jtaber
When a gtkmm program (and any gtk program for that matter) runs under Gnome,
the fonts are nice, but when it is run under KDE, the fonts are terrible -
what font and size does gtkmm default to?  I would assume this is best
addressed from the user settings (in KDE the Control Center allows user to
select font and size for various types).

Re: What is gtkmm default font and size?

Matthew Walton
> When a gtkmm program (and any gtk program for that matter) runs under
> Gnome,
> the fonts are nice, but when it is run under KDE, the fonts are terrible -
> what font and size does gtkmm default to?  I would assume this is best
> addressed from the user settings (in KDE the Control Center allows user to
> select font and size for various types).

GTK+ and thus gtkmm will use the font specified by the current GTK+ theme,
so it's impossible to say what the default font actually is.

KDE may be attempting to impose its own font information on GTK+ apps
running inside it, it certainly used to do that as an attempt to get some
sort of integration. I'm not sure exactly how they're doing it though, or
if you can turn it off.

Re: What is gtkmm default font and size?

Chris Vine
On Tuesday 07 June 2005 14:48, John Taber wrote:
> When a gtkmm program (and any gtk program for that matter) runs under
> Gnome, the fonts are nice, but when it is run under KDE, the fonts are
> terrible - what font and size does gtkmm default to?  I would assume this
> is best addressed from the user settings (in KDE the Control Center allows
> user to select font and size for various types).

If you are running it under KDE then the gnome settings daemon will not be
running.  You have two options:

1.  Amend/provide {gtkdir}/etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc to specify fonts and anything
else you think important.

2.  Start {gnomedir}/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon in the startkde script,
which will pick up all your Gnome settings, including fonts and styles.

Chris.

--
Summer is y-cumen in, lhude sing, cuccu!
Groweth sed and bloweth med, springeth the wude nu.

Re: What is gtkmm default font and size?

Murray Cumming-5
On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 21:12 +0100, Chris Vine wrote:

> On Tuesday 07 June 2005 14:48, John Taber wrote:
> > When a gtkmm program (and any gtk program for that matter) runs under
> > Gnome, the fonts are nice, but when it is run under KDE, the fonts are
> > terrible - what font and size does gtkmm default to?  I would assume this
> > is best addressed from the user settings (in KDE the Control Center allows
> > user to select font and size for various types).
>
> If you are running it under KDE then the gnome settings daemon will not be
> running.  You have two options:
>
> 1.  Amend/provide {gtkdir}/etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc to specify fonts and anything
> else you think important.
>
> 2.  Start {gnomedir}/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon in the startkde script,
> which will pick up all your Gnome settings, including fonts and styles.

This all sounds excessively awkward. If your GTK+-based applications
don't work properly when using KDE, then it's an issue for your
vendor/distro.

--
Murray Cumming
[hidden email]