Using std::any

Tim Janik-6
Hey Stefan,

Aida introduces its own Any type and I think it could be significantly
simplified by using std::any internally.
However std::any is C++17 stuff, so its only available as <experimental/any>.
But even that requires C++14, and our code base currently just depends on C++11.

What's your take on upgrading the dependency to C++14, and thus being able to
use <experimental/any> (besides some other minor improvements C++14 brings)?

--
Yours sincerely,
Tim Janik

https://testbit.eu/timj/
Free software author.

Re: Using std::any

Stefan Westerfeld
   Hi!

On Sat, Sep 09, 2017 at 06:05:55PM +0200, Tim Janik wrote:
> Aida introduces its own Any type and I think it could be significantly
> simplified by using std::any internally.
> However std::any is C++17 stuff, so its only available as <experimental/any>.
> But even that requires C++14, and our code base currently just depends on C++11.
>
> What's your take on upgrading the dependency to C++14, and thus being able to
> use <experimental/any> (besides some other minor improvements C++14 brings)?

That means that I should still be able to compile BEAST with g++-5.4.0 on
Ubuntu16.04, right?

If so, I'd say if it makes your implementation easier, go ahead and use C++14.
IMHO we should bump our C++ language flavour every now and then, as supporting
old compilers is just more work, and now you have a reason to do it, it seems
like a good point in time to require C++14.

   Cu... Stefan
--
Stefan Westerfeld, http://space.twc.de/~stefan

Re: Using std::any

Tim Janik-6

On 09.09.2017 19:16, Stefan Westerfeld wrote:
> That means that I should still be able to compile BEAST with g++-5.4.0 on
> Ubuntu16.04, right?

Yes, even Ubuntu Willy should work, thanks for your input.

I just had to take Debian jessie out of the travis builds, since it only ships
g++-4.9 and C++14 requires g++-5.

It's pushed and being built by travis atm.

--
Yours sincerely,
Tim Janik

https://testbit.eu/timj/