Using GTK in proprietary software

Gtk+ - Apps Dev mailing list
Dear GTK developers,

I want to redistrbute GTK (and its LGPL) unabridged with proprietary software, to make a graphical application.
Additionally my program will make calls to routines in GTK objects, will this comply with the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License?

Yours sincerely, Daniel Iwo , Founder ASRS

Re: Using GTK in proprietary software

Nicola Fontana-3
Il giorno mer, 06/02/2019 alle 16.25 +0000, asrs via gtk-app-devel-list ha
scritto:
> Dear GTK developers,
>
> I want to redistrbute GTK (and its LGPL) unabridged with proprietary software,
> to make a graphical application.

Ciao,

if you use shared linking (AFAIK the only way officially supported) you
wont have any problem. Of course you must still comply with the other
terms, e.g. you cannot sneakily modify the GTK+ source code:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/blob/master/COPYING

> Additionally my program will make calls to routines in GTK objects,

I do not understand the question: is there any other reason one should
link to a library?

Ciao.
--
Nicola

Il giorno ven, 08/02/2019 alle 18.45 +0000, asrs ha scritto:
> Dear Nicola,
>
> Thankyou for your informative response,
> I would like to know if I may use "GTK" as a suffix in the name of my
> commercial product.

There already are plenty of applications with GTK in their names, see
e.g.:

https://www.linux-apps.com/search/projectSearchText/gtk

All that said, IANAL. Anyway I really doubt you will find a name not
already picked up by some project and IMO this is just bikeshedding.

Ciao.
--
Nicola

Il giorno ven, 15/02/2019 alle 10.26 +0100, Jean-Dominique Frattini ha scritto:
> And what if the final program is statically linked with Gtk+ (ie on Windows
> with mingw32) ?

Citing https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#LGPLStaticVsDynamic:

    "If you statically link against an LGPLed library, you must also
    provide your application in an object (not necessarily source)
    format, so that a user has the opportunity to modify the library and
    relink the application."

On the technical side I heard someone successfully used static linking
with GTK+ but I personally never see such an application. I do not use
windows though.

Ciao.
--
Nicola