Upright glyphs with combining marks in vertical text.

Upright glyphs with combining marks in vertical text.

Tavmjong Bah

Hi,

I've got two questions about rendering characters with combining marks
(as one might have with CSS "writing-mode:vertical;text-
orientation:upright").

It appears that Pango misplaces the marks as shown by:

pango-view --annotate=2 --dpi=160 --gravity=east --gravity-hint=strong
--rotate=-90 test-combining.txt

where test-combining.txt has the following characters:

G̃g̃X̃x̃

1. Is this a bug? Or am I doing something wrong?

2. Shouldn't the width in PangoGlyphGeometry be the vertical height
when typeset in upright vertical mode (with combining marks having a
vertical height of zero)?

Thanks,

Tav

On Wed, 2017-09-06 at 12:24 -0700, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> Pictures please?

Attached.

combining_mark.png (22K) Download Attachment

Re: Upright glyphs with combining marks in vertical text.

Behdad Esfahbod-3
Renders fine with hb-view, but broken with pango-view.
I'll take a look.

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 1:34 AM, Tavmjong Bah <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, 2017-09-06 at 12:24 -0700, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> Pictures please?

Attached.

> On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 12:07 PM, Tavmjong Bah <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've got two questions about rendering characters with combining
> > marks
> > (as one might have with CSS "writing-mode:vertical;text-
> > orientation:upright").
> >
> > It appears that Pango misplaces the marks as shown by:
> >
> > pango-view --annotate=2 --dpi=160 --gravity=east --gravity-
> > hint=strong
> > --rotate=-90 test-combining.txt
> >
> > where test-combining.txt has the following characters:
> >
> > G̃g̃X̃x̃
> >
> > 1. Is this a bug? Or am I doing something wrong?
> >
> > 2. Shouldn't the width in PangoGlyphGeometry be the vertical height
> > when typeset in upright vertical mode (with combining marks having
> > vertical height of zero)?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Tav

Re: Upright glyphs with combining marks in vertical text.

Behdad Esfahbod-3
Care filing a bug please, so we don't lose?

On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 4:24 AM, Behdad Esfahbod <[hidden email]> wrote:
Renders fine with hb-view, but broken with pango-view.
I'll take a look.

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 1:34 AM, Tavmjong Bah <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, 2017-09-06 at 12:24 -0700, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> Pictures please?

Attached.

On Sun, 2017-09-10 at 04:24 -0700, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
Care filing a bug please, so we don't lose?

On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 4:24 AM, Behdad Esfahbod <[hidden email]> wrote:
Renders fine with hb-view, but broken with pango-view.
I'll take a look.

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 1:34 AM, Tavmjong Bah <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, 2017-09-06 at 12:24 -0700, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:< br> > Pictures please?

Attached.