Release: 2008.233.0533Z-odin

Brian Manning
Hi,

I just posted a new release of Camelbox, a Gtk2-Perl stack for
Windows.  More info, including a link to the installer, changes for
this release, and upgrade recommendations, can be found here:

http://groups.google.com/group/camelbox/t/d96a0947c07b61db

Major changes for this release include PostgreSQL support via DBD::Pg,
and bundling of the 'Sprog' application and the Gtk2::Ex::DBI and
Gtk2::Ex::Datasheet:DBI modules.

Thanks,

Brian

Re: Release: 2008.233.0533Z-odin

Grant McLean
Hi Brian (or should I call you Spicy?)

Man YOU ROCK!

Back when you announced an early release of camelbox, the reason I
enquired about gnomecanvas support was because that was the major
missing piece to enable Sprog to run on Windows.  Now you've even thrown
Sprog itself into the bundle.

So I booted my laptop up into Windows, installed camelbox, fired up
Sprog and it worked!  (Yay for Perl's cross-platform portability).
There are a few bits of functionality that don't work quite right but
the fact that it runs at all is kind of amazing.

Hopefully I'll be able to put some time into fixing the broken bits
soonish.

The downside of all this was that I experienced Windows again for the
first time in a while and was reminded of what a woeful environment it
is for getting things done :-(

Thanks again
Grant

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 3:28 AM, Grant McLean <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Brian (or should I call you Spicy?)

Brian works.

> The downside of all this was that I experienced Windows again for the
> first time in a while and was reminded of what a woeful environment it
> is for getting things done :-(

It's not so bad; I have a copy of gvim installed, Camelbox includes a
decent shell that I can actually write POSIX-compatable shell scripts
for, the scripts I have written have generally run on *NIX and Windows
if I originally programmed them that way (no hardcoding of paths for
example).  Firefox works the same on both platforms.  It's not as
seksi as my Mac, but it's still livable.  For computers that can't be
slicked to run something besides Windows (like my work laptop), it's
another option.

Thanks,

Brian