Re: [PHP-DOC] [PhD] CHM Support

Hannes Magnusson-3
Hi all
(crossposting to pear-doc@ and php-gtk-doc@)

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 2:56 AM, Loudi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I'm Rudy Nappée, a Google Summer of Code student.
>
> I work this summer on PhD and will implement some new output formats such as
> PDF or Unix-Manpage and new themes (PHP-GTK, Pear...).
>
> I made my first commit in the PhD repository with the CHM theme which allow
> to generate CHM files with PhD. You'll find an example of a generated CHM
> file at http://iutinfoa1.free.fr/SoC/php_manual_en.chm and a HOWTO about
> generating CHM file in the PhD root of the CVS.
>
> I request for comments about the output CHM file, wait for any rendering
> questions and especially want to know what do you think I should do (CHM
> improvements, whished formats, ...).

The CHM looks good! I wasn't really expecting it to be done so quickly :)

I'd say the next task would be to check the status of the php-gtk and
pear docs, these are still in DocBook4? Any ETA on DB5 upgrade?

If it is still to soon to create PhD themes for pear/php-gtk I think
unix man page output is the next item on Rudy's schedule..

php-gtk/pear-doc guys: By all means, let us know if there is anything
we can do to help you out upgrading to DB5/PhD :)

-Hannes

Re: [PEAR-DOC] Re: [PHP-DOC] [PhD] CHM Support

Brett Bieber
Hello

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 9:23 AM, Hannes Magnusson
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'd say the next task would be to check the status of the php-gtk and
> pear docs, these are still in DocBook4? Any ETA on DB5 upgrade?

I put together a script to handle the upconvert of peardoc to DB5.
http://wiki.pear.php.net/index.php/PEARDocMoveToDocbook5#Conversion_Script

So getting to DB5 is fine... the question is - where we go from there?
I think we really need help with the build magic to get the
.manual.xml, a minimal setup utilizing PhD, and some recommendations
on the set/book structure we need to target.

Can we use our existing build scripts to get all the way up to
.manual.xml with the new DB5 sources? For some reason I was thinking
we have to rewrite our entire build process.

That's where peardoc is at... ready to move to DB5, just not sure what
the next step is.

--
Brett Bieber

http://saltybeagle.com/

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 7:00 PM, Brett Bieber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello
>
> On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 9:23 AM, Hannes Magnusson
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I'd say the next task would be to check the status of the php-gtk and
>> pear docs, these are still in DocBook4? Any ETA on DB5 upgrade?
>
> I put together a script to handle the upconvert of peardoc to DB5.
> http://wiki.pear.php.net/index.php/PEARDocMoveToDocbook5#Conversion_Script
>
> So getting to DB5 is fine... the question is - where we go from there?
> I think we really need help with the build magic to get the
> .manual.xml, a minimal setup utilizing PhD, and some recommendations
> on the set/book structure we need to target.
>
> Can we use our existing build scripts to get all the way up to
> .manual.xml with the new DB5 sources? For some reason I was thinking
> we have to rewrite our entire build process.

No no. There is no need to rewrite anything.
The configure.php changes in phpdoc/ are completely separate from PhD.
All PhD needs is a file containing the XML (i.e. .manual.xml) which
can be created with PHP:
<?php
$dom = new DOMDocument();
$dom->load("manual.xml", LIBXML_NOENT | LIBXML_NSCLEAN);
$dom->xinclude();

if ($dom->validate()) {
    $dom->save(".manual.xml");
}
?>

The .manual.xml isn't technically even required for PhD, it is just faster :)

Since pear-doc is using Docbook-DSSSSL you will not be able to build
the manual after upgrading to DB5 since the DSSSL stylesheets simply
don't support it, so before you upgrade the PhD theme/stylesheet needs
to be ready.

The last step (optional) is to upgrade to set/book structure like
phpdoc/ did few weeks ago.. I don't exactly recommend you upgrade just
yet though, start small (DB5&PhD) then maybe restructure late on.

Rudy: I guess you should check out that DB5 upgrade script and produce
a .manual.xml file which you can use a test file until you've created
the theme...

-Hannes

Re: [PHP-DOC] Re: [PEAR-DOC] Re: [PHP-DOC] [PhD] CHM Support

philipo

> The configure.php changes in phpdoc/ are completely separate from PhD.
> All PhD needs is a file containing the XML (i.e. .manual.xml) which
> can be created with PHP:

On a related note, it's worth mentioning that using "configure.php" is
a temporary measure until PhD-Setup (its replacement) exists. Gwynne
is working on that now but I'm sure she would enjoy some collaboration
with others too.

Also, welcome to the team Rudy! :)

Regards,
Philip

Fwd: Re: [PHP-DOC] Re: [PEAR-DOC] Re: [PHP-DOC] [PhD] CHM Support

Leon Pegg
php-gtk-doc status
we are already working with the php.doc guys to move our manual to phd.
we have our basic manual completed and our currently working on our
build system.
regards Leon Pegg