Re: Moving from mailing lists to Discourse

Re: Moving from mailing lists to Discourse

Gtk+ - Apps Dev mailing list
More information on Discourse:

  - About: https://www.discourse.org/about
  - Features: https://www.discourse.org/features

Discourse is a forum software that has multiple ways to access it: web,
native apps, and email. It's not a mailing list software with a web
frontend.

The interesting (to me) parts are:

 - 2FA instead of Mailman's plaintext password
 - real moderation tools, that can scale with the community and encourage
civility and code of conduct compliant behaviour
 - anti-spam measures
 - open source software (kind of a pre-requisite)
 - good UI for reading and replying to topics

The Fedora (Silverblue) and Ubuntu communities already use Discourse, for
instance; the SDL community also does.

--
https://www.bassi.io
[@] ebassi [@gmail.com]

Re: Moving from mailing lists to Discourse

David C. Rankin
On 02/06/2019 05:46 AM, Emmanuele Bassi via gtk-app-devel-list wrote:
> Are there any objections? Did somebody already try out Discourse and has
> opinions about it that they want to share with the community?
>
> Ciao,
>  Emmanuele.

Improvements are always welcome, but I've seen a number of moves away from the
traditional mailing list, or fragmentation of a list into sub-topics fail
miserably. (it fragments the community as well)

I'm not sure I see the logic on how a mailing list change could make GTK more
friendly to newcomers. You have a good thing going here that has stood the
test of time. I would at least maintain the mailing list as is until you have
some confirmation that any change actually accomplishes its stated goals.

I for one see no benefit in discourse.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

Re: Moving from mailing lists to Discourse

Gtk+ - Apps Dev mailing list
Am Mittwoch, den 06.02.2019, 12:46 +0100 schrieb Emmanuele Bassi via
gtk-app-devel-list:

> [Cross-posted to various relevant mailing lists; please, reply to
> gtk-devel-list]
>
> As part of an attempt at making GTK more friendly to newcomers, I and
> other
> core developers were thinking of moving the mailing lists from the
> current
> mailman installation to Discourse:
>
>   https://discourse.org/
>
> Possibly still hosted on GNOME infrastructure, depending on the
> requirements for our sysadmins.
>
> The GTK project would have various sub-topics, mostly around
> development
> with and of GTK. Having a better archive search, a better moderation
> system, and a decent web UI are the major selling points for
> switching to
> Discourse. The fact that the project is also open source is neatly
> aligned
> with our values.
>
> Are there any objections? Did somebody already try out Discourse and
> has
> opinions about it that they want to share with the community?
>
> Ciao,
>  Emmanuele.

I'd very much welcome such a change. Being able to inline screenshots
would greatly improve discussions around certain problems IMHO.

--Tilo