Precarious status of Shutter in Debian

Dominique Dumont
[ re-sent with right From address ]

Hello

Debian is moving away from Gnome2::VFS [1] . This obsolete module will be
removed from next release of Debian.

Unfortunately, shutter, a very nice Gtk2 screenshot application,  depends on
Gnome::VFS, which means that shutter will be removed from Debian unless this
dependency is removed from shutter [2].

I guess that the options are:
* port shutter from Gnome2::VFS to GVFS or GIO
* replace Gnome2::VFS with other Perl modules.

Unfortunately, Debian perl team do not have the skills or bandwidth to work on
this port, I hope that someone on this list will be able to help.

Does anyone on this list have better ideas ?

All the best

Dod, on behalf of Debian Perl team

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=870418
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/shutter/+bug/1006290
--
 https://github.com/dod38fr/   -o- http://search.cpan.org/~ddumont/
http://ddumont.wordpress.com/  -o-   irc: dod at irc.debian.org

Re: Precarious status of Shutter in Debian

Emmanuele Bassi
Hi;

On 20 October 2017 at 13:24, Dominique Dumont <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [ re-sent with right From address ]
>
> Hello
>
> Debian is moving away from Gnome2::VFS [1] . This obsolete module will be
> removed from next release of Debian.
>
> Unfortunately, shutter, a very nice Gtk2 screenshot application,  depends on
> Gnome::VFS, which means that shutter will be removed from Debian unless this
> dependency is removed from shutter [2].
>
> I guess that the options are:
> * port shutter from Gnome2::VFS to GVFS or GIO
> * replace Gnome2::VFS with other Perl modules.
>
> Unfortunately, Debian perl team do not have the skills or bandwidth to work on
> this port, I hope that someone on this list will be able to help.
>
> Does anyone on this list have better ideas ?

Considering that:

 - upstream development seems dead
 - Shutter uses GTK+ 2.x, which is the old-stable version of GTK
 - Shutter is also heavily tied to X11 and does not work on Wayland

I'm not entirely sure why you think the whole thing shouldn't be
retired altogether.

https://www.bassi.io
[@] ebassi [@gmail.com]

Re: Precarious status of Shutter in Debian

Norbert Preining
> I'm not entirely sure why you think the whole thing shouldn't be
> retired altogether.

Because it simply works nicely? Only because Gtk/Gnome maniacs are
switching to something rather useless, doesn't mean that old software
is becoming useless, too.

Norbert

--
PREINING Norbert                               http://www.preining.info
Accelia Inc.     +    JAIST     +    TeX Live     +    Debian Developer

Re: Precarious status of Shutter in Debian

Christopher Hoskin
On 20 October 2017 at 14:28, Emmanuele Bassi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Considering that:

 - upstream development seems dead

They did manage to put out a new point release recently:

http://shutter-project.org/2017/09/after-a-long-time-a-new-bug-fix-release-0-94/

I suspect it needs more work than that though to make it useable in sid - which is a shame as it's a nice tool.

Christopher

On 20 October 2017 at 14:53, Norbert Preining <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm not entirely sure why you think the whole thing shouldn't be
>> retired altogether.
>
> Because it simply works nicely? Only because Gtk/Gnome maniacs

Nice contribution.

Could you please try to avoid insulting other people in the free
software community, especially when looking to get their help?

Otherwise you should reconsider replying at all.

> are switching to something rather useless,

We clearly have different definitions of "useless".

> doesn't mean that old software
> is becoming useless, too.

Unmaintained software that uses long since deprecated functionality is
not strictly speaking "useless", but it's definitely a source of risk,
especially when running it inside a platform that is still maintained.

Of course, you're absolutely free to keep using old, unmaintained
software; you can either choose never to upgrade the environment in
which it runs, or you get to pick up its maintenance.

https://www.bassi.io
[@] ebassi [@gmail.com]

Re: Precarious status of Shutter in Debian

Marc Chantreux
On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 10:53:53PM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
> > I'm not entirely sure why you think the whole thing shouldn't be
> > retired altogether.
>
> Because it simply works nicely?

this was a usefull answer (at least it is something to care about)...
but

> Only because Gtk/Gnome maniacs are
> switching to something rather useless, doesn't mean that old software
> is becoming useless, too.

wow ... even if i don't buy all the "gnome maniacs" mindshare (which
actually is a very friendly community), i have to admit i'm pissed off
to see those kind of answer, this isn't only rude (Emmanuele just wanted
to share an opinion) but *this* was useless, whatever your definition of
useless is.

reading those kind of quotes in an open source mailing list in 2017
looks awkward to me...

regards
--
Marc Chantreux (eiro on github and freenode)
http://eiro.github.com/

On Friday, 20 October 2017 14:28:25 CEST Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
> I'm not entirely sure why you think the whole thing shouldn't be
> retired altogether.

Well, as mentioned by others, it's a really nice screenshot application. One
of the best looking Perl application, like gcstar or frozen-bubble. It's a
shame that there's no "powered by Perl" somewhere on the UI.

And shutter is still quite popular according to popcon [1].

That said, if it's not popular enough to find a maintainer, we'll have no
choice but to remove it from Debian.

I guess that the next step is to announce the probable demise of shutter on
debian-devel and debian-users in the (slim) hope that someone steps up.

All the best

Dod

PS: I wonder what is shutter's status in other distro ...

[1] https://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=shutter

--
 https://github.com/dod38fr/   -o- http://search.cpan.org/~ddumont/
http://ddumont.wordpress.com/  -o-   irc: dod at irc.debian.org