Pango modules Hebrew heurisics

Dov Grobgeld-2
While playing around with pango rendering did I notice a regression in the placement of Hebrew diacritics marks for fonts that lack a GPOS table. In my old Hebrew pango module, I had added some heuristics for how to do such placement, and the result was quite acceptable for most fonts. From what I understand from the logs the language specific modules were discarded when Harfbuzz was introduced as a pango dependency (in 2012), and with it my  placement heuristics.

The question is if this was intentional, and whether you consider this is a "font problem" and not something that the pango should deal with?

Regards,
Dov

Re: Pango modules Hebrew heurisics

Behdad Esfahbod-5
Hi Dov,

Yes, I removed those.  There *is* fallback positioning in HarfBuzz for fonts
that don't have GPOS, so theoretically you can contribute improvements to
that.  But I'd really be cautious about taking any changes in this day and age...

Here's the code:

https://github.com/behdad/harfbuzz/blob/master/src/hb-ot-shape-fallback.cc