OFF-TOPIC: Can we have a Subject: with a [listname]?

OFF-TOPIC: Can we have a Subject: with a [listname]?

Frank Neumann

Hi list,

though I joined this list only recently, and though there hasn't been too
much mail traffic since then, I was wondering whether you can configure
your mailman to prefix each mail's subject through the list with an
identifier like [beast] so that it can be easily sorted by a mail filter
rule? Would be quite handy..

Thanks,
Frank

Re: OFF-TOPIC: Can we have a Subject: with a [listname]?

Tim Janik-2
On Mon, 22 May 2006, Frank Neumann wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> though I joined this list only recently, and though there hasn't been too
> much mail traffic since then, I was wondering whether you can configure
> your mailman to prefix each mail's subject through the list with an
> identifier like [beast] so that it can be easily sorted by a mail filter
> rule? Would be quite handy..

hi Frank.

this list (and mayn others hosted at mail.gnome.org) has no "[beast]" or
other square bracket tags for a number of reasons:
- the tags tend to clutter up subject lines
- the tags are often inappropriate, especially with private replies and
   cross-postings
- subject tags can not be used to reliably filter list messages
- reliable filtering can be achieved by mailman header rules.

that is, to reliably filter beast list messages, you can use
the following rule:

:0 H :

i.e. every email to the list has a
header line.