No protocol specified error

Lokesh Chakka
Hello,

I am using simple program

#include <gtk/gtk.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
    GtkWidget *window;
    gtk_init(NULL, NULL);
    window = gtk_window_new(GTK_WINDOW_TOPLEVEL);
    gtk_widget_show(window);
    g_signal_connect(window, "destroy", G_CALLBACK(gtk_main_quit), NULL);
    gtk_main();
    return 0;
}

I compiled it using gcc simple.c `pkg-config --cflags gtk+-3.0 --libs`
if I do ./a.out, GUI is showing up.

but if I do "sudo ./a.out", I am seeing the following error :

$ sudo ./a.out
No protocol specified
Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused

(a.out:7961): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0

As my application back end needs root privileges, I need to open the GUI
using sudo only.
Can some one help in fixing this issue ?

The same code was working fine in Ubuntu 17.04. But I am facing this issue
after upgrading to Ubuntu 17.10.

Thanks
--
Lokesh Chakka,
Mobile: 9731023458

Re: No protocol specified error

Felipe Borges
On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 1:01 PM, Lokesh Chakka
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am using simple program
>
> #include <gtk/gtk.h>
>
> int main(int argc, char *argv[])
> {
>     GtkWidget *window;
>     gtk_init(NULL, NULL);
>     window = gtk_window_new(GTK_WINDOW_TOPLEVEL);
>     gtk_widget_show(window);
>     g_signal_connect(window, "destroy", G_CALLBACK(gtk_main_quit), NULL);
>     gtk_main();
>     return 0;
> }
>
> I compiled it using gcc simple.c `pkg-config --cflags gtk+-3.0 --libs`
> if I do ./a.out, GUI is showing up.
>
> but if I do "sudo ./a.out", I am seeing the following error :

> $ sudo ./a.out
> No protocol specified
> Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused
>
> (a.out:7961): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0
>
> As my application back end needs root privileges, I need to open the GUI
> using sudo only.
> Can some one help in fixing this issue ?
>
> The same code was working fine in Ubuntu 17.04. But I am facing this issue
> after upgrading to Ubuntu 17.10.

Ubuntu 17.10 has switched to the Wayland display server, which is
designed to fix the security issues existent in X.

Wayland only allows the user who started the X server to connect clients to it.

For more info, see https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1266771

> Thanks
> --
> Lokesh Chakka,
> Mobile: 9731023458

Re: No protocol specified error

Lokesh Chakka
Dear Felipe,

Thanks for the information.
Is it possible to login with my credentials and execute as sudo ./a.out.

Can u help me how to make it work ?

Thanks & Regards
--
Lokesh Chakka,
Mobile: 9731023458

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 4:43 PM, Felipe Borges <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 1:01 PM, Lokesh Chakka
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am using simple program
> >
> > #include <gtk/gtk.h>
> >
> > int main(int argc, char *argv[])
> > {
> >     GtkWidget *window;
> >     gtk_init(NULL, NULL);
> >     window = gtk_window_new(GTK_WINDOW_TOPLEVEL);
> >     gtk_widget_show(window);
> >     g_signal_connect(window, "destroy", G_CALLBACK(gtk_main_quit), NULL);
> >     gtk_main();
> >     return 0;
> > }
> >
> > I compiled it using gcc simple.c `pkg-config --cflags gtk+-3.0 --libs`
> > if I do ./a.out, GUI is showing up.
> >
> > but if I do "sudo ./a.out", I am seeing the following error :

> > $ sudo ./a.out
> > No protocol specified
> > Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused
> >
> > (a.out:7961): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0
> >
> > As my application back end needs root privileges, I need to open the GUI
> > using sudo only.
> > Can some one help in fixing this issue ?
> >
> > The same code was working fine in Ubuntu 17.04. But I am facing this
> issue
> > after upgrading to Ubuntu 17.10.
>
> Ubuntu 17.10 has switched to the Wayland display server, which is
> designed to fix the security issues existent in X.
>
> Wayland only allows the user who started the X server to connect clients
> to it.
>
> For more info, see https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1266771
>

> > Thanks
> > --
> > Lokesh Chakka,
> > Mobile: 9731023458

Re: No protocol specified error

Felipe Borges
On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 1:18 PM, Lokesh Chakka
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear Felipe,
>
> Thanks for the information.
> Is it possible to login with my credentials and execute as sudo ./a.out.
>
> Can u help me how to make it work ?

Running GUI applications as root is hardly discouraged.

What you should be going for is to develop an application which runs
as a normal user and uses PolicyKit[0] to gain administrator
privileges whenever is necessary.

[0] https://www.freedesktop.org/software/polkit/docs/latest/polkit.8.html

> Thanks & Regards
> --
> Lokesh Chakka,
> Mobile: 9731023458
>
> On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 4:43 PM, Felipe Borges <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 1:01 PM, Lokesh Chakka
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I am using simple program
>> >
>> > #include <gtk/gtk.h>
>> >
>> > int main(int argc, char *argv[])
>> > {
>> >     GtkWidget *window;
>> >     gtk_init(NULL, NULL);
>> >     window = gtk_window_new(GTK_WINDOW_TOPLEVEL);
>> >     gtk_widget_show(window);
>> >     g_signal_connect(window, "destroy", G_CALLBACK(gtk_main_quit),
>> > NULL);
>> >     gtk_main();
>> >     return 0;
>> > }
>> >
>> > I compiled it using gcc simple.c `pkg-config --cflags gtk+-3.0 --libs`
>> > if I do ./a.out, GUI is showing up.
>> >
>> > but if I do "sudo ./a.out", I am seeing the following error :
>> >
>> > ================================================
>> > $ sudo ./a.out
>> > No protocol specified
>> > Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused
>> >
>> > (a.out:7961): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0
>> > ================================================
>> >
>> > As my application back end needs root privileges, I need to open the GUI
>> > using sudo only.
>> > Can some one help in fixing this issue ?
>> >
>> > The same code was working fine in Ubuntu 17.04. But I am facing this
>> > issue
>> > after upgrading to Ubuntu 17.10.
>>
>> Ubuntu 17.10 has switched to the Wayland display server, which is
>> designed to fix the security issues existent in X.
>>
>> Wayland only allows the user who started the X server to connect clients
>> to it.
>>
>> For more info, see https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1266771
>>

>> > Thanks
>> > --
>> > Lokesh Chakka,
>> > Mobile: 9731023458

Re: No protocol specified error

David Margerison
On 20 October 2017 at 22:33, Felipe Borges <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Running GUI applications as root is hardly discouraged.

The English language can be surprising, so I write this short note to help
avoid confusion.

400 years ago, your sentence above would be correct. But the meaning
of the word "hardly" has changed over time.

In modern language, your sentence above means: running GUI applications
as root is discouraged only a small amount.

(I suspect that is the opposite of what you wanted to say).

Because these days "hardly" means "not very much".

If a glass of water is almost empty, we can say: there is hardly any
water there.

The word "hardly" has lost its original connection to the word "hard".

So I would write that sentence as:
  Running GUI applications as root is severely discouraged.
or
  Running GUI applications as root is strongly discouraged.

Re: No protocol specified error

Felipe Borges
whatever man

On Sat, Oct 21, 2017 at 2:25 AM, David Margerison
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 20 October 2017 at 22:33, Felipe Borges <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Running GUI applications as root is hardly discouraged.
>
> The English language can be surprising, so I write this short note to help
> avoid confusion.
>
> 400 years ago, your sentence above would be correct. But the meaning
> of the word "hardly" has changed over time.
>
> In modern language, your sentence above means: running GUI applications
> as root is discouraged only a small amount.
>
> (I suspect that is the opposite of what you wanted to say).
>
> Because these days "hardly" means "not very much".
>
> If a glass of water is almost empty, we can say: there is hardly any
> water there.
>
> The word "hardly" has lost its original connection to the word "hard".
>
> So I would write that sentence as:
>   Running GUI applications as root is severely discouraged.
> or
>   Running GUI applications as root is strongly discouraged.

Re: No protocol specified error

Lokesh Chakka
Dear Felipe,

I have refereed the link. As the application I am writing needs root
privileges, I must use sudo ./a.out. No other option.

Dear Bruggemann,

I have gone through zenmap as suggested by you. But it is not going to work
as zenmap itself is failing to launch.

=============================
$ sudo zenmap
No protocol specified
No protocol specified
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/zenmap", line 181, in <module>
    import zenmapGUI.App
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/zenmapGUI/App.py", line 157, in
<module>
    import gtk
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py", line 69,
in <module>
    _init()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py", line 57,
in _init
    warnings.warn(str(e), _gtk.Warning)
gtk.GtkWarning: could not open display
=============================

I am absolutely stuck now. Can some one please help me how to tackle this
issue ?

Thanks & Regards
--
Lokesh Chakka,
Mobile: 9731023458

On Sun, Oct 22, 2017 at 10:22 PM, Felipe Borges <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> whatever man
>
> On Sat, Oct 21, 2017 at 2:25 AM, David Margerison
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 20 October 2017 at 22:33, Felipe Borges <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Running GUI applications as root is hardly discouraged.
> >
> > The English language can be surprising, so I write this short note to
> help
> > avoid confusion.
> >
> > 400 years ago, your sentence above would be correct. But the meaning
> > of the word "hardly" has changed over time.
> >
> > In modern language, your sentence above means: running GUI applications
> > as root is discouraged only a small amount.
> >
> > (I suspect that is the opposite of what you wanted to say).
> >
> > Because these days "hardly" means "not very much".
> >
> > If a glass of water is almost empty, we can say: there is hardly any
> > water there.
> >
> > The word "hardly" has lost its original connection to the word "hard".
> >
> > So I would write that sentence as:
> >   Running GUI applications as root is severely discouraged.
> > or
> >   Running GUI applications as root is strongly discouraged.

Re: No protocol specified error

Lokesh Chakka
Hello,

To add, I found gksudo might be helpful.

I found issue mentioned here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-themes/+bug/1723422
and work around
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sane-backends/+bug/1724078/comments/4

after that, I found the following issue:
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1803102

but now if I do "gksudo ./a.out" it is just exiting without any message or
log. If I use "gksudo gdb ./a.out" and try to run, cursor is just blinking
and nothing is showing up.

Thanks & Regards
--
Lokesh Chakka,
Mobile: 9731023458

On Sat, Nov 4, 2017 at 11:38 AM, Lokesh Chakka <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Felipe,
>
> I have refereed the link. As the application I am writing needs root
> privileges, I must use sudo ./a.out. No other option.
>
> Dear Bruggemann,
>
> I have gone through zenmap as suggested by you. But it is not going to
> work as zenmap itself is failing to launch.
>
> =============================
> $ sudo zenmap
> No protocol specified
> No protocol specified
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/zenmap", line 181, in <module>
>     import zenmapGUI.App
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/zenmapGUI/App.py", line 157, in
> <module>
>     import gtk
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py", line
> 69, in <module>
>     _init()
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py", line
> 57, in _init
>     warnings.warn(str(e), _gtk.Warning)
> gtk.GtkWarning: could not open display
> =============================
>

> I am absolutely stuck now. Can some one please help me how to tackle this
> issue ?
>

> Thanks & Regards
> --
> Lokesh Chakka,
> Mobile: 9731023458
>
> On Sun, Oct 22, 2017 at 10:22 PM, Felipe Borges <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> whatever man
>>
>> On Sat, Oct 21, 2017 at 2:25 AM, David Margerison
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > The English language can be surprising, so I write this short note to
>> help
>> > avoid confusion.
>> >
>> > 400 years ago, your sentence above would be correct. But the meaning
>> > of the word "hardly" has changed over time.
>> >
>> > In modern language, your sentence above means: running GUI applications
>> > as root is discouraged only a small amount.
>> >
>> > (I suspect that is the opposite of what you wanted to say).
>> >
>> > Because these days "hardly" means "not very much".
>> >
>> > If a glass of water is almost empty, we can say: there is hardly any
>> > water there.
>> >
>> > The word "hardly" has lost its original connection to the word "hard".
>> >
>> > So I would write that sentence as:
>> >   Running GUI applications as root is severely discouraged.
>> > or
>> >   Running GUI applications as root is strongly discouraged.

Re: No protocol specified error

Lokesh Chakka
okay...
after some more search I found here
<https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/wayland>

xhost si:localuser:root

is doing the job.

But is there a way to achieve this programatically in C language ?

Thanks & Regards
--
Lokesh Chakka,
Mobile: 9731023458

On Sat, Nov 4, 2017 at 2:53 PM, Lokesh Chakka <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> To add, I found gksudo might be helpful.
>
> I found issue mentioned here:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-themes/+bug/1723422
> and work around
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sane-backends/+
> bug/1724078/comments/4
>
> after that, I found the following issue:
> https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1803102
>
> but now if I do "gksudo ./a.out" it is just exiting without any message or
> log. If I use "gksudo gdb ./a.out" and try to run, cursor is just blinking
> and nothing is showing up.
>

> Thanks & Regards
> --
> Lokesh Chakka,
> Mobile: 9731023458
>
> On Sat, Nov 4, 2017 at 11:38 AM, Lokesh Chakka <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Dear Felipe,
>>
>> I have refereed the link. As the application I am writing needs root
>> privileges, I must use sudo ./a.out. No other option.
>>
>> Dear Bruggemann,
>>
>> I have gone through zenmap as suggested by you. But it is not going to
>> work as zenmap itself is failing to launch.
>>
>> =============================
>> $ sudo zenmap
>> No protocol specified
>> No protocol specified
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "/usr/bin/zenmap", line 181, in <module>
>>     import zenmapGUI.App
>>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/zenmapGUI/App.py", line 157, in
>> <module>
>>     import gtk
>>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py", line
>> 69, in <module>
>>     _init()
>>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py", line
>> 57, in _init
>>     warnings.warn(str(e), _gtk.Warning)
>> gtk.GtkWarning: could not open display
>> =============================
>>

>> I am absolutely stuck now. Can some one please help me how to tackle this
>> issue ?
>>

>> Thanks & Regards
>> --
>> Lokesh Chakka,
>> Mobile: 9731023458
>>
>> On Sun, Oct 22, 2017 at 10:22 PM, Felipe Borges <[hidden email]
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> whatever man

>>> help

Re: No protocol specified error

Emmanuele Bassi
On 4 November 2017 at 06:08, Lokesh Chakka
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear Felipe,
>
> I have refereed the link. As the application I am writing needs root
> privileges, I must use sudo ./a.out. No other option.

Of *course* there are other options for you: this is software
development, not surgery.

The appropriate course of action, as Felipe outlined, is:

 - split the business logic that requires administrator privileges of
your application from the GUI bits
 - move that business into a daemon listening on the system bus and
exposing a DBus interface
 - use polkit to deal with the privilege escalation, and write a small
policy file
 - have the GUI call into the DBus interface on the system bus

Alternatively:

 - do not write a GUI application
 - require running under X instead of Wayland, and assume
responsibility for the potential security side effects; not that
running applications under X as root is recommended, either

Running GUI applications as administrator means that your exposing
yours and your users' data to a massive, unaudited code base, that may
or may not open random shared modules — like input methods, image
loaders — and parse multiple files from random locations.

It's more secure to start from a completely sandboxed environment and
gradually opening it up on demand, than running a completely open
environment and then closing it down.

https://www.bassi.io
[@] ebassi [@gmail.com]

Re: No protocol specified error

Lokesh Chakka
Dear Emmanuele,

Sorry sir... NO NO NO. A Big NO.
I have already spent four years for developing the application I am
working. If I have to adopt that approach, I have to spend another one year
which I can't afford
Any ways, xhost +si:localuser:root solved my problem.

Thanks & Regards
--
Lokesh Chakka,
Mobile: 9731023458