Moving from mailing lists to Discourse

Gtk+ - General mailing list
[Cross-posted to various relevant mailing lists; please, reply to gtk-devel-list]

As part of an attempt at making GTK more friendly to newcomers, I and other core developers were thinking of moving the mailing lists from the current mailman installation to Discourse:

  https://discourse.org/

Possibly still hosted on GNOME infrastructure, depending on the requirements for our sysadmins.

The GTK project would have various sub-topics, mostly around development with and of GTK. Having a better archive search, a better moderation system, and a decent web UI are the major selling points for switching to Discourse. The fact that the project is also open source is neatly aligned with our values.

Are there any objections? Did somebody already try out Discourse and has opinions about it that they want to share with the community?

Re: Moving from mailing lists to Discourse

Paul Davis
Emmaneule,

at ardour.org, we recently switched from using Drupal forums to Discourse. The results have been delightful. We managed to get single sign on integration with our existing site working, which was important for us, but probably not so much for a GTK Discourse. More notably, once you figure out how to get the settings right, the integration with email was also a pleasure. The move has definitely made our forums more active, easier to manage, nicer to interact with and has also largely solved the spam problems that we had before, even when we used Mollum. So ... although our needs and goals were slightly different from yours, I can say that for us, the move was very successful and we like Discourse very much.

--p

On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 4:46 AM Emmanuele Bassi via gtk-list <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

One benefit I find to mailing lists is that they are search engine
indexed, meaning when I google a warning or assertion error I often get
pointed to a mailing list thread that discusses the issue I am trying to
fix.

Being able to find such discussions and then follow them in thread
format is very valuable and saves quite a bit of time. I haven't used
Discourse so I don't know what the state of such a workflow is --
apologies in advance if this use-case is a non-issue.

Eric

On Thu, 7 Feb 2019 at 13:16, Eric Williams via gtk-list <[hidden email]> wrote:
One benefit I find to mailing lists is that they are search engine
indexed, meaning when I google a warning or assertion error I often get
pointed to a mailing list thread that discusses the issue I am trying to
fix.

Being able to find such discussions and then follow them in thread
format is very valuable and saves quite a bit of time. I haven't used
Discourse so I don't know what the state of such a workflow is --
apologies in advance if this use-case is a non-issue.

Discourse has fully searchable archives, and allows indexing on Google, so you'd very likely get more relevant results with it than with generic Google searches.