Maemo port?

cohort
Title says it all, really.  Is there one?  If not, is anyone with the
expertise willing to take it on?

Re: Maemo port?

cohort
FGM wrote:
> It seems the first problem would be to build PHP on it. From the specs,
> it appears it currently has GTK+, but not PHP.

Not really.  It's an ARM platform, and there are already compile targets
for it (my NAS has an ARM processor and has thttpd+php running on it).

The biggest "problem" (IMHO) would be hildonizing the interface, but
that might be a worthy goal in and of itself.
(an overview of working with the Hildon framework is here:
<http://maemo.org/development/documentation/tutorials/maemo_4-0_tutorial/#gui>)

> In addition, given the limited resources available on a phone, it seems
> suboptimal to develop for it in a scripting language.

Maemo isn't only used on phones, but on Nokia Internet Tablets (the
prime target, IMHO), which are really just linux-based handheld computers.

There are currently 281 user-created applications for OS2008 (n800 and
n810), including python and ruby, several editors, and a port of the
game "Battle for Wesnoth" (wesnoth.org).  I would like to write some
things for it, but only really know php.  Otherwise, I'd probably try to
take this one on myself.  :)