Licensing

Gtk+ - Dev - General mailing list
Hi guys - whilst checking something else this morning I came across an
anomaly in the licensing mechanism for glib / gtk+ etc.

The vast majority of the header files state that it's LGPL.  But
occasionally there are GPL headers here and there.  For example in
glib-2, the following 11 header files stipulate GPL:-

       gbase64.h
       gbookmarkfile.h
       gchecksum.h
       ghmac.h
       glib-private.h
       glib-unix.h
       gmain.h
       gmain-internal.h
       gmessages-private.h
       goption.h
       gpoll.h

Just thought I'd flag it up in case it's unintentional,

John

Re: Licensing

Sébastien Wilmet-2
On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 09:02:21AM +0100, John Emmas via gtk-devel-list wrote:

> Hi guys - whilst checking something else this morning I came across an
> anomaly in the licensing mechanism for glib / gtk+ etc.
>
> The vast majority of the header files state that it's LGPL.  But
> occasionally there are GPL headers here and there.  For example in glib-2,
> the following 11 header files stipulate GPL:-
>
>       gbase64.h
>       gbookmarkfile.h
>       gchecksum.h
>       ghmac.h
>       glib-private.h
>       glib-unix.h
>       gmain.h
>       gmain-internal.h
>       gmessages-private.h
>       goption.h
>       gpoll.h
>
> Just thought I'd flag it up in case it's unintentional,

I've checked the 3 first files that you list, and they are correctly
licensed under the LGPL (up until recently it was the "GNU Library
General Public License", it's now the "GNU Lesser General Public
License").

Please double check the list.

--
Sébastien

Re: Licensing

On 28/05/2017 14:41, Sébastien Wilmet wrote:
On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 09:02:21AM +0100, John Emmas via gtk-devel-list wrote:
the following 11 header files stipulate GPL:-

      gbase64.h
      gbookmarkfile.h
      gchecksum.h
      ghmac.h
      glib-private.h
      glib-unix.h
      gmain.h
      gmain-internal.h
      gmessages-private.h
      goption.h
      gpoll.h

Just thought I'd flag it up in case it's unintentional,
I've checked the 3 first files that you list, and they are correctly
licensed under the LGPL (up until recently it was the "GNU Library
General Public License", it's now the "GNU Lesser General Public
License").

Please double check the list.

Hi Sebastien,

I updated from git master just now and the above files are all okay now.  However, in the latest stable branch (glib-2-52 ?) they're still showing the older licenses.

John

Re: Licensing

Sébastien Wilmet-2
On Sun, May 28, 2017 at 05:38:26PM +0100, John Emmas via gtk-devel-list wrote:

> On 28/05/2017 14:41, Sébastien Wilmet wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 09:02:21AM +0100, John Emmas via gtk-devel-list wrote:
> > > the following 11 header files stipulate GPL:-
> > >
> > >        gbase64.h
> > >        gbookmarkfile.h
> > >        gchecksum.h
> > >        ghmac.h
> > >        glib-private.h
> > >        glib-unix.h
> > >        gmain.h
> > >        gmain-internal.h
> > >        gmessages-private.h
> > >        goption.h
> > >        gpoll.h
> > >
> > > Just thought I'd flag it up in case it's unintentional,
> > I've checked the 3 first files that you list, and they are correctly
> > licensed under the LGPL (up until recently it was the "GNU Library
> > General Public License", it's now the "GNU Lesser General Public
> > License").
> >
> > Please double check the list.
>
> I updated from git master just now and the above files are all okay now.
> However, in the latest stable branch (glib-2-52 ?) they're still showing the
> older licenses.

gbase64.h on glib-2-52 has the LGPLv2+ license, there is nothing wrong
with that.

See: https://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/old-licenses.html#LGPL

--
Sébastien