License information for Glib2

ANDY KENNEDY
All,

While reading through the license information about Glib2, I found what
appears to be two different licenses for the product.  First, the readme
file seems to indicate that the license is meant to be LGPL, or the
lesser GPL.  However, the copying file indicates that the license is
Library GPL (which is a completely different license and one that seems
to have more stringent requirements).

What is the intent of the license for GPL2?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide,
Andy

Re: License information for Glib2

A. Walton-2
On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 1:06 PM, ANDY KENNEDY <[hidden email]> wrote:
> All,
>
> While reading through the license information about Glib2, I found what
> appears to be two different licenses for the product.  First, the readme
> file seems to indicate that the license is meant to be LGPL, or the
> lesser GPL.  However, the copying file indicates that the license is
> Library GPL (which is a completely different license and one that seems
> to have more stringent requirements).

GLib is licensed LGPLv2 or later per its file headers. Some of the
test programs and ancillary scripts are licensed GPLv2 or have other
licenses on a per file basis, but the library is intended to be linked
to and distributed under the LGPL.

The Library GPL is the old name for the Lesser GPL.

(Obligatory IANAL, Use your own judgment, etc.)

-A. Walton

> What is the intent of the license for GPL2?
>
> Thanks in advance for any information you can provide,
> Andy

RE: License information for Glib2

ANDY KENNEDY
> GLib is licensed LGPLv2 or later per its file headers. Some of the
> test programs and ancillary scripts are licensed GPLv2 or have other
> licenses on a per file basis, but the library is intended to be linked
> to and distributed under the LGPL.

Okay, Thanks!

> The Library GPL is the old name for the Lesser GPL.
>
> (Obligatory IANAL, Use your own judgment, etc.)

I would say that the Library was a predecessor, however, not really
the "old name" for the LGPL.  I believe these two were completely
different (from reading the history).  Though, we haven't consulted
our "L" yet.

> -A. Walton

Thanks for the quick reply!

Andy

Re: License information for Glib2

Emmanuele Bassi
On 8 May 2017 at 16:00, ANDY KENNEDY <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The Library GPL is the old name for the Lesser GPL.
>>
>> (Obligatory IANAL, Use your own judgment, etc.)
>
> I would say that the Library was a predecessor, however, not really
> the "old name" for the LGPL.  I believe these two were completely
> different (from reading the history).  Though, we haven't consulted
> our "L" yet.

The Lesser GPL version 2.1 is essentially the Library GPL version 2.0,
with the change from Library to Lesser and the addition of point 6.b,
which clarifies the combined work exception when it comes to dynamic
linking with a shared library:

+    b) Use a suitable shared library mechanism for linking with the
+    Library.  A suitable mechanism is one that (1) uses at run time a
+    copy of the library already present on the user's computer system,
+    rather than copying library functions into the executable, and (2)
+    will operate properly with a modified version of the library, if
+    the user installs one, as long as the modified version is
+    interface-compatible with the version that the work was made with.

https://www.bassi.io
[@] ebassi [@gmail.com]