Let Apport ignore unit tests

Tim Janik-6
Hi Martin,

I'm developing software packages under Ubuntu, and some are low-level enough
that I need to test assert_fail() / fatal_error() etc implementations.
These functions purposefully end in abort(), so I'm writing unit tests like:

./misctests --assert_return0 || die Testing --assert_return0 failed

However each time my unit test suite is executed, I and other developers on
the project get Apport crash dialogs, even with ulimit -c 0.

Is there a way to disable Apport via e.g. an environment variable in the env of
the unit test? Since we're talking about unit tests here, the executables can
reside in arbitrary directories (/usr/src/project or ~/project/).
And we may not have root privileges during build or execution time, so
installing /etc/apport hooks is also out of the question.

I.e. we're looking for a way to disable Apport for an arbitrary executable with
a non-root setting local to the executable, like an environment variable.

Any help (or pointer to redirect the discussion) is greatly appreciated.

Yours sincerely,
Tim Janik

Free software author.
beast mailing list