Is there anyone out there?

Cowley Harris
Hi all,

A  few things,

1) Is this project still going?  Doesn't seem to be much (any) emails
coming through on the mailing list.

I'm migrating from Perl-Tk because it seems like a dying project. If
this project is in a similar state could somebody please turn off the
lights so others like myself don't end up wasting time working through
the tutorials,

2) If the Gtk2-perl project still has some life in it, what work is
ongoing for the tutorial? It seems to stop half-way through it. I've
emailed the two guys listed a few days ago, one email seems defunct,
the other is yet to reply. The tutorial is based on the C version that
is about 6-7 years old.

3)If work is still ongoing on the tutorial, is there a date for an
update?, If not, does anybody mind if I continue where the others left
off? Who would I contact to send an updated version?

4)The last notice said that the project has been switch to svn.
However svn has been depreciated on sourceforge. Is there a plan to
change to git?

Cheers

Harris.

--
"that which does not kill us will give us six  more weeks of winter",
Nietzschean Groundhog Theory

Re: Is there anyone out there?

Emmanuel Rodriguez

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 2:39 PM, Cowley Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

A  few things,

1) Is this project still going?  Doesn't seem to be much (any) emails
coming through on the mailing list.
The list is not too verbose, but it is alive.

I'm migrating from Perl-Tk because it seems like a dying project. If
this project is in a similar state could somebody please turn off the
lights so others like myself don't end up wasting time working through
the tutorials,

2) If the Gtk2-perl project still has some life in it, what work is
ongoing for the tutorial? It seems to stop half-way through it. I've
emailed the two guys listed a few days ago, one email seems defunct,
the other is yet to reply. The tutorial is based on the C version that
is about 6-7 years old.
If I'm not mistaken the C tutorial is not too far developed neither. But other alternatives are available! Perlmonks has a lot of examples using Gtk2. CPAN has a lot of modules and some programs using Gtk2. A lot of CPAN bundles come with examples, Gtk2 also does. Some of us hang in the IRC channel.

3)If work is still ongoing on the tutorial, is there a date for an
update?, If not, does anybody mind if I continue where the others left
off? Who would I contact to send an updated version?

4)The last notice said that the project has been switch to svn.
However svn has been depreciated on sourceforge. Is there a plan to
change to git?
The project is hosted in gnome's git repository.

--
Emmanuel Rodriguez

Re: Is there anyone out there?

Grant McLean
On Wed, 2009-05-13 at 14:39 +0200, Cowley Harris wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A  few things,
>
> 1) Is this project still going?  Doesn't seem to be much (any) emails
> coming through on the mailing list.

That strikes me as a rather odd observation.  A quick look at the
mailing list archives ( http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-perl-list/ )
shows a steady stream of messages every month.

Not only is there steady traffic, there are questions being asked and
answered by a healthy mix of new-comers and old-hands.  I've long held
this mailing list to be an excellent example of an open source community
in action.  There are a few key people who really set the tone nicely.

> I'm migrating from Perl-Tk because it seems like a dying project. If
> this project is in a similar state could somebody please turn off the
> lights so others like myself don't end up wasting time working through
> the tutorials,

A couple of resources that you might find useful include:

 * the examples directory in the Perl-Gtk2 distribution

 * the Gtk2-Perl Study Guide
   http://forgeftp.novell.com/gtk2-perl-study/homepage/

Cheers
Grant

Re: Is there anyone out there?

Mitchell Laks-2
I agree with all that has been said.

This is an active helpful group and you clearly have not reviewed the resources adequately.

Another must is Grant McLeans wonderful gtk2-perl glade tutorial talk.

http://gtk2-perl.sourceforge.net/links/
how can that web site not suffice?

MItchell

Re: Is there anyone out there?

Sergei Steshenko-2

> 1) Is this project still going?  Doesn't seem to be
> much (any) emails
> coming through on the mailing list.
>
> I'm migrating from Perl-Tk because it seems like a dying
> project. If
> this project is in a similar state could somebody please
> turn off the
> lights so others like myself don't end up wasting time
> working through
> the tutorials,
>
> 2) If the Gtk2-perl project still has some life in it, what
> work is
> ongoing for the tutorial? It seems to stop half-way through
> it. I've
> emailed the two guys listed a few days ago, one email seems
> defunct,
> the other is yet to reply. The tutorial is based on the C
> version that
> is about 6-7 years old.
>
> 3)If work is still ongoing on the tutorial, is there a date
> for an
> update?, If not, does anybody mind if I continue where the
> others left
> off? Who would I contact to send an updated version?
>
> 4)The last notice said that the project has been switch to
> svn.
> However svn has been depreciated on sourceforge. Is there a
> plan to
> change to git?
>
> Cheers
>
> Harris.
>

> --
> "that which does not kill us will give us six  more
> weeks of winter",
> Nietzschean Groundhog Theory

FWIW, there is a newer Tkx project/set of modules and it is shipped by
default by ActiveState. I also think that ActiveState Windows installer
GUI is based on Tkx.

Not that gtk-perl is worse, but just FYI.

Regards,
  Sergei.

Re: Is there anyone out there?

muppet-6

On May 13, 2009, at 8:39 AM, Cowley Harris wrote:

> 1) Is this project still going?  Doesn't seem to be much (any) emails
> coming through on the mailing list.

It's still going.  However, the maintainers are volunteers and have
other things to do in life, and the bindings are rather stable, so
we're not exactly a hotbed of activity.

> 2) If the Gtk2-perl project still has some life in it, what work is
> ongoing for the tutorial? It seems to stop half-way through it. I've
> emailed the two guys listed a few days ago, one email seems defunct,
> the other is yet to reply. The tutorial is based on the C version that
> is about 6-7 years old.

Again, it was a volunteer effort.

> 3)If work is still ongoing on the tutorial, is there a date for an
> update?, If not, does anybody mind if I continue where the others left
> off? Who would I contact to send an updated version?

If you make a patch available here on the list, we'll get it
committed.  Looking around, i think the tutorial is still hosted on
sourceforge, so that might require a bit of swizzling.  :-/

http://git.gnome.org/cgit/perl-Gtk2/

--
me, while driving the car: Okay, girls, what do you want for lunch?
yvonne: I wan' noo-tulls!

Re: Is there anyone out there?

Cowley Harris
>> 1) Is this project still going?  Doesn't seem to be much (any) emails
>> coming through on the mailing list.

>That strikes me as a rather odd observation.  A quick look at the
>mailing list archives ( http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-perl-list/ )
>shows a steady stream of messages every month.

When I tried to review the archives I got a 404 error. I used the link
from the Documents page, not the one on the FAQs page.

>Not only is there steady traffic, there are questions being asked and
>answered by a healthy mix of new-comers and old-hands.  I've long held
>this mailing list to be an excellent example of an open source community
>in action.  There are a few key people who really set the tone nicely.

My rationale for making the observation was  that I signed up to the
list a few days ago and didn't get a single email from the list. I was
comparing that to debian mailing lists where I'm getting emails every
quarter hour.
I understand that that it is volunteer based project and in a stable
state, but I've just recently invested a lot of time learning what
turned out to be a dead project and would rather not do the same
again. At the same time I wanted to start learning the API and
migrating to Gtk2 as soon as possible.

That said, I asked if anybody was out there and now I got the answer.

>This is an active helpful group and you clearly have not reviewed the resources adequately.

Actually I believe I reviewed the resources in depth, which is was
what also prompted the question.

For some examples, there doesn't seem to be any recent tutorials
(latest I found with a date was 2006).  The main English version for
Gtk2-perl is half completed and is still in alpha.  The "search the
list archives link" 404s on me. (The one on the documentation page,
not the one I just found on the FAQ page). On the main page, the most
recent news leads to svn, while at svn.gnome.org you have the message
"All content on this site is obsolete. "

I'm just pointing out that the sourceforge site has a ghost-town feel
to it.  And as it turns up first on a google search, it could be
off-putting to people who may be migrating from Perl-Tk who are
evaluating the alternatives. I think as I have "new eyes" I'm going to
see the stuff you may be oblivious too.

I'm also offering to help out with the documentation as per the Intro.

Cheers.

Harris

Re: Is there anyone out there?

Dave Howorth
Cowley Harris wrote:
> I'm just pointing out that the sourceforge site has a ghost-town feel
> to it.  And as it turns up first on a google search, it could be
> off-putting to people who may be migrating from Perl-Tk who are
> evaluating the alternatives. I think as I have "new eyes" I'm going to
> see the stuff you may be oblivious too.

I'm just an occasional user and initially I had many of the same
reactions you did. But the group has been very helpful and now I've
climbed at least part way up the learning curve. Now you're subscribed
to the list you'll soon see the effort that is put into maintenance and
enhancements.

As well as the gtk-perl documentation, you will need to become familiar
with the C documentation, because a lot of the perl docs don't repeat
info that is already in the C docs. Start with the doc links at
<http://www.gtk.org/>.

Also very helpful is the Python documentation, e.g.
<http://www.pygtk.org/pygtk2tutorial/> which is more extensive and
generally fairly easy to understand in a perl context.

> I'm also offering to help out with the documentation as per the Intro.

If there are broken links on the sourceforge site, I'm sure patches
would be welcome, or any other improvements you can suggest.

Cheers, Dave

Re: Is there anyone out there?

muppet-6

Cowley Harris wrote:
>>> 1) Is this project still going?  Doesn't seem to be much (any) emails
>>> coming through on the mailing list.
>
>>That strikes me as a rather odd observation.  A quick look at the
>>mailing list archives ( http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-perl-list/ )
>>shows a steady stream of messages every month.
>
> When I tried to review the archives I got a 404 error. I used the link
> from the Documents page, not the one on the FAQs page.

Oh, dear --- looks like markmail changed the link format.

http://perl.markmail.org/search/#query:list%3Aorg.gnome.gtk-perl-list

is what you want, i'll get that updated when i get home this evening.  Thanks
for pointing that out.

> I understand that that it is volunteer based project and in a stable
> state, but I've just recently invested a lot of time learning what
> turned out to be a dead project and would rather not do the same
> again. At the same time I wanted to start learning the API and
> migrating to Gtk2 as soon as possible.

I think a difference between Tk and Gtk2 is that Gtk2 is based on a modern and
active upstream, while Tk is long stable and, well, kinda ugly by comparison.

> For some examples, there doesn't seem to be any recent tutorials
> (latest I found with a date was 2006).  The main English version for
> Gtk2-perl is half completed and is still in alpha.  The "search the
> list archives link" 404s on me. (The one on the documentation page,
> not the one I just found on the FAQ page). On the main page, the most
> recent news leads to svn, while at svn.gnome.org you have the message
> "All content on this site is obsolete. "

You have to admit, the gnome project's switch to git is practically on the
heels of their switch to subversion.  It took us an embarrassingly long time
to get away from sourceforge cvs.

> I'm just pointing out that the sourceforge site has a ghost-town feel
> to it.  And as it turns up first on a google search, it could be
> off-putting to people who may be migrating from Perl-Tk who are
> evaluating the alternatives. I think as I have "new eyes" I'm going to
> see the stuff you may be oblivious too.

I think you're right, honestly.  We should knock down the cobwebs.  Please
report any broken links here.

> I'm also offering to help out with the documentation as per the Intro.

Excellent.  Patches here.  Start anywhere you like.

--
muppet <scott at asofyet dot org>

Re: Is there anyone out there?

muppet-6

On May 14, 2009, at 5:49 PM, muppet wrote:

> Cowley Harris wrote:

>> When I tried to review the archives I got a 404 error. I used the
>> link
>> from the Documents page, not the one on the FAQs page.
>
> Oh, dear --- looks like markmail changed the link format.

Stranger -- it looks like the file somehow got corrupted, with the
"ht" in "http" for that link changing to some strange non-ascii junk.

At any rate, it's fixed, now.

--
The Master in the art of living makes little distinction between his
work and his play, his labor and his leisure, his mind and his body,

   -- Zen Philosophy