Is it safe to static_cast<> Glib::VariantBase to a derived type?

Is it safe to static_cast<> Glib::VariantBase to a derived type?

Daniel Boles
e.g. in a signal handler that receives a VariantBase that I know is of a specific type (e.g. because I registered that type on the action)

It seems to be working for me, so far, but I feel like I might be skipping some GLib magic and living on borrowed time... such as the added stuff in cast_dynamic(). I get why static_cast<> could work, as it changes the methods used to pull the value out of the underlying GObject, but again I also feel like it may not be that simple and it only _happens_ to work right now.

I'm sure if I read the source for another day or two, I could answer this. ;)