Is PHP-GTK dead ?

Bernard Fouché
Hi List,

we were trying to install some php-gtk app on a Fedora 17 system
(running PHP 5.4.7)  but php-gtk 2 doesn't compile with php 5.4, with
have to backtrack to php 5.3 .

The last message on gtk.php.net dates back to 2010,  the last commit in
the php-gtk svn project is from January 2011. Even if there are more
files that pass compilation with the svn trunk, the build still fails.

No more development activity for 18 months (at least no visible
activity), no news for more than 2 years, a project that gets
disconnected from the PHP roadmap, 4 messages in php-gtk-general in
2012, it seems that we have to also abandon the ship asap and rebuild
our app with some other solution :-(

  Bernard

Re: Is PHP-GTK dead ?

Gianluca Faieta-2
Bernard,

On Tuesday 20 November 2012 11:05:02 Bernard Fouché wrote:
> we were trying to install some php-gtk app on a Fedora 17 system
> (running PHP 5.4.7)  but php-gtk 2 doesn't compile with php 5.4, with
> have to backtrack to php 5.3 .

AFAIK, it correctly builds with PHP 5.4. I've built php-gtk against PHP 5.4.5
a few months ago on windows (https://github.com/gfaieta/phpgtk-build). I
suspect linux build should be more straightforward; maybe you should try the
latest sources.

SVN was abandoned in favor of git: see https://github.com/php/php-gtk-src and
https://github.com/auroraeosrose/php-gtk-src

> No more development activity for 18 months (at least no visible
> activity), no news for more than 2 years, a project that gets
> disconnected from the PHP roadmap, 4 messages in php-gtk-general in
> 2012, it seems that we have to also abandon the ship asap and rebuild
> our app with some other solution :-(

php-gtk is not abandoned; IMHO it only needs more visibility (and more
contributors). I currently maintain 3 php-gtk applications on Windows and the
customer is planning 2 more.

Hope this helps.

Gianluca

--
Gianluca Faieta
http://faieta.net/

Re: Is PHP-GTK dead ?

Bernard Fouché
Le 20/11/2012 14:52, Gianluca Faieta a écrit :

> Bernard,
>
> On Tuesday 20 November 2012 11:05:02 Bernard Fouché wrote:
>> we were trying to install some php-gtk app on a Fedora 17 system
>> (running PHP 5.4.7)  but php-gtk 2 doesn't compile with php 5.4, with
>> have to backtrack to php 5.3 .
> AFAIK, it correctly builds with PHP 5.4. I've built php-gtk against PHP 5.4.5
> a few months ago on windows (https://github.com/gfaieta/phpgtk-build). I
> suspect linux build should be more straightforward; maybe you should try the
> latest sources.

Following my message, I received an email from Timothy Warren explaining
the same thing. I downloaded the .tgz from
https://github.com/php/php-gtk-src and it works!

Now it seems that there are a few people continuing development but who
manages the project's coordination if there is such a person?

>> No more development activity for 18 months (at least no visible
>> activity), no news for more than 2 years, a project that gets
>> disconnected from the PHP roadmap, 4 messages in php-gtk-general in
>> 2012, it seems that we have to also abandon the ship asap and rebuild
>> our app with some other solution :-(
> php-gtk is not abandoned; IMHO it only needs more visibility (and more
> contributors). I currently maintain 3 php-gtk applications on Windows and the
> customer is planning 2 more.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Gianluca

This is the least that can be said regarding visibility! This is what I
bumped into while looking for solutions:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/fedora-35/fedora-17-php-5-3-downgrade-4175413875/
.

When googling for "php-gtk", the first link is http://gtk.php.net/ which
says nothing about github nor about any further development.

Googling "github php-gtk" points to different git repo, how one can
knows about which is the correct repo? Or 'a' correct repo?

So it's unclear if there is still a project leader (Elizabeth Smith?
You? Someone else?) even if it appears that there are still a few
persons investing time in the project. This situation makes me think
than continuing to use php-gtk for our small (but important) app is a
risk and we must move on to some other solution: enthusiasm about
php-gtk seems to have faded away and this is usually the first step
toward a complete stop sooner or later.

Anyway many thanks to you, Timothy and Elizabeth!

     Bernard