Is Meson on the horizon?

Ian Martin-6
Hi,

Looking around, I see GTK seems to be adding Meson support (and possibly
dropping autotools).  From what I can see, it looks like it's going to
be easier to understand; are there plans to add support in the *mm projects?

Ian

Re: Is Meson on the horizon?

Murray Cumming-5
On Fri, 2017-07-28 at 17:51 +1200, Ian Martin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Looking around, I see GTK seems to be adding Meson support (and
> possibly
> dropping autotools).  From what I can see, it looks like it's going
> be easier to understand; are there plans to add support in the *mm
> projects?

I have not looked at meson yet. I don't know what support would be
needed.

I guess someone should try to create a hello world project with meson
and gtkmm.

--
Murray Cumming
[hidden email]

Re: Is Meson on the horizon?

Russel Winder-2
On Fri, 2017-07-28 at 08:49 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:

[…]
> I have not looked at meson yet. I don't know what support would be
> needed.

Personally I find Autotools a disaster, and Meson extremely acceptable.

> I guess someone should try to create a hello world project with meson
> and gtkmm.

Works fine. One shouldn't expect any problems and there aren't any.

(This is a real project or three, not just Hello World.)

The gtkmm project mayhap wants to switch to build with Meson instead of
Autotools.

--
Russel.

Re: Is Meson on the horizon?

Murray Cumming-5
On Fri, 2017-07-28 at 11:48 +0100, Russel Winder wrote:
> The gtkmm project mayhap wants to switch to build with Meson instead
> of
> Autotools.

Maybe we could try having build file for Meson alongside the autotools
files. Patches would be welcome. Someone might want to work in a branch
for a while until it works. I suggest starting with glibmm.

--
Murray Cumming
[hidden email]

Re: Is Meson on the horizon?

Russel Winder-2
On Fri, 2017-07-28 at 12:54 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
> […]
>
> Maybe we could try having build file for Meson alongside the autotools
> files. Patches would be welcome. Someone might want to work in a branch
> for a while until it works. I suggest starting with glibmm.

The GStreamer folk built their Meson build alongside the Autotools build in
master rather than a separate branch. The Autotools was the official build,
but having the Meson build being constructed in master got (at least in my
view) more input from more people.

They also created a build super-project that pulled in all the libraries via
git submodules and then built all at once. This helped a lot with ensuring
always using a consistent set of libraries for people building from source.

I could be inveigled upon to get involved in building a Meson build for
glibmm, gtkmm, etc. but I cannot get stuck in till September.

--
Russel.

Re: Is Meson on the horizon?

Murray Cumming-5
On Fri, 2017-07-28 at 12:46 +0100, Russel Winder wrote:

> On Fri, 2017-07-28 at 12:54 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > […]
> >
> > Maybe we could try having build file for Meson alongside the
> > autotools
> > files. Patches would be welcome. Someone might want to work in a
> > branch
> > for a while until it works. I suggest starting with glibmm.
>
> The GStreamer folk built their Meson build alongside the Autotools
> build in
> master rather than a separate branch. The Autotools was the official
> build,
> but having the Meson build being constructed in master got (at least
> in my
> view) more input from more people.
>
> They also created a build super-project that pulled in all the
> libraries via
> git submodules and then built all at once. This helped a lot with
> ensuring
> always using a consistent set of libraries for people building from
> source.
>
> I could be inveigled upon to get involved in building a Meson build
> for
> glibmm, gtkmm, etc. but I cannot get stuck in till September.

Thanks. I'd rather not have it in glibmm's git master until it can
actually build glibmm. I might change my mind if many people appear who
want to work on it.

--
Murray Cumming
[hidden email]

Re: Is Meson on the horizon?

Marcin Kolny
Hi all,
I've started porting glibmm build to meson. You can find my work in mkolny/meson-build branch (https://git.gnome.org/browse/glibmm/log/?h=mkolny/meson-build). For now, I managed to build glibmm library, I hope giomm will be relatively easy now.
Currently my solution is very 'hacky' - sometimes because of lack of experience in meson build system, sometimes because of limited features.
I expect that we might have some issues when we're going to generate release tarballs, however, I'm not that far yet so I can't provide any details yet.

Any feedback/contribution to the branch is very welcome.

On Fri, 2017-07-28 at 12:46 +0100, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Fri, 2017-07-28 at 12:54 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > […]
> >
> > Maybe we could try having build file for Meson alongside the
> > autotools
> > files. Patches would be welcome. Someone might want to work in a
> > branch
> > for a while until it works. I suggest starting with glibmm.
>
> The GStreamer folk built their Meson build alongside the Autotools
> build in
> master rather than a separate branch. The Autotools was the official
> build,
> but having the Meson build being constructed in master got (at least
> in my
> view) more input from more people.
>
> They also created a build super-project that pulled in all the
> libraries via
> git submodules and then built all at once. This helped a lot with
> ensuring
> always using a consistent set of libraries for people building from
> source.
>
> I could be inveigled upon to get involved in building a Meson build
> for
> glibmm, gtkmm, etc. but I cannot get stuck in till September.

Thanks. I'd rather not have it in glibmm's git master until it can
actually build glibmm. I might change my mind if many people appear who
want to work on it.

--
Murray Cumming
[hidden email]