I really need help with themes and setting css items in program

I really need help with themes and setting css items in program

Damon Register
I have been using gtkmm 2.22 for many years but would really like to move
on to Gtk3.  I have made a few attempts over the years but the thing that
always stops me is dealing with themes in the Gtk3 world.  A simple
hello world program produces ugly oversized widgets.  Over the last few
days I have put some effort into learning gtk3 theme tampering and have
made quite a bit of progress.

Perhaps the biggest roadblock for me is that most (if not all) of the
Gtk3 themes override widget size and usually make them bigger than what
what I specified in my Glade file.  Is there a way to stop that behavior
on a global level or will I just have to tamper with theme settings for
things on a more individual level?

 From a post to this list 4 years ago I have learned that the win32 theme
is built in now.  The answer then was to tamper with gtk-3.0/gtk.css
but I don't find this at all in my msys2 setup on Windows 10.  I do find
C:\msys64\mingw64\share\themes and there is a Default\gtk-3.0 but would
be Adwaita, wouldn't it?  Is there a css file for win32 or is it built
into the code?

If there is no css file for the default or win32, how can I do this within
the program?  I am slowly finding info about working with css and have
learned a little tampering but I find nothing about doing this in the
program.

I am really stuck here and would greatly appreciate any help with this.
Thanks.

Damon Register

RE: I really need help with themes and setting css items in program

Gtk+ - General mailing list

Hi Damon,

The thing is that Adwaita is now the default theme for GTK+3.x.  The win32 theme, though, as it is not maintained much nowadays, should not be used unless one is intending to make it up-to-date.

The reason why you don’t see it in your installation is that the Adwaita theme files are built directly into the GTK DLL via GResources (see the gtk.gresource.xml that is generated during the build).

Unfortunately I can’t help very much on the theme part nor CSS (which is what is used to create the GTK themes), but it might help to post a link to the screenshots that you might have which you think is problematic for you and any gtkrc (or so, I may be wrong on this) that you might be using.

Note for Adwaita to work fully, you need the adwaita-icon-themes package installed at the right place, and you would likely need librsvg (specifically, the GDK-Pixbuf svg loader that comes with librsvg, which clearly will depend on the librsvg DLL).

Hope this helps

With blessings, and cheers!

Re: EXTERNAL: RE: I really need help with themes and setting css items in program

Damon Register
On 3/3/2019 1:48 AM, 范,君維 wrote:
Hi Damon,

The thing is that Adwaita is now the default theme for GTK+3.x.  The win32 theme, though, as it is not maintained much nowadays, should not be used unless one is intending to make it up-to-date.
I don't really have to have win32, I just want a light weight theme that
doesn't override what I specify for size.

The reason why you don’t see it in your installation is that the Adwaita theme files are built directly into the GTK DLL via GResources (see the gtk.gresource.xml that is generated during the build).

That is what I was beginning to suspect.

Unfortunately I can’t help very much on the theme part nor CSS (which is what is used to create the GTK themes), but it might help to post a link to the screenshots that you might have which you think is problematic for you and any gtkrc (or so, I may be wrong on this) that you might be using.
glade, default,
      win32
Top left is glade and is what I expect program output to be.  Top middle is default theme
and top right is win32 theme.
In the second row I have overridden the default "width in chars" for the entry widgets
for both themes.  The main problem I have is that it seems all the themes I have
tried this far are imposing minimum sizes that are unacceptable.   In a post to this list
in 2017 subject: Re: How to get a "traditional" file-chooser
one person said it far better than I could with "Screen space is a premium, a pretty UI is not".

I really want to move forward with Gtk3 and I don't object to making adjustments
to get that goal.  Is there a global way to stop Gtk3 and its themes from making any
changes to the sizes specified in the Glade file?  At this point I am guessing the
answer is no.  So I see that probably have to find a theme that doesn't change sizes
or learning how to customize a theme.  Does anyone know of a theme that doesn't
have this size modifying behavior?

Note for Adwaita to work fully, you need the adwaita-icon-themes package installed at the right place, and you would likely need librsvg (specifically, the GDK-Pixbuf svg loader that comes with librsvg, which clearly will depend on the librsvg DLL).
I am using msys2 on Windows 10.  I believe that the msys2 installer along with
pacman -S mingw-w64-x86_64-gtk3
got all I need.   I see a tree under C:\msys64\mingw64\share\icons\Adwaita

Hope this helps
It does.  Many thanks.

Damon Register