How to in GTK3 set global default text size?

How to in GTK3 set global default text size?

Igor Chetverovod
Hello list,
I am making porting my own win32 application from GTK2 to GTK3.6.4. I have
an issue, for GTK3 all text labels on the user interface have  a bigger
font size then for GTK2. Is there global setting which can control default
font size for UI elements?

Best regards,
Igor

Re: How to in GTK3 set global default text size?

Emmanuele Bassi
First of all, GTK+ 3.6.4 was released in January 2013, which means
it's 4.5 years old and it's completely unsupported.

The latest (long-term support) stable release is 3.22.15; please use
that, especially if you're developing for Windows.

Follow the instructions on the GTK+ website to know how to install on
your development machine:

  https://www.gtk.org/download/windows.php

then you can package up all the shared libraries and other assets when
distributing your application.

On 16 May 2017 at 14:04, Igor Chetverovod <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am making porting my own win32 application from GTK2 to GTK3.6.4. I have
> an issue, for GTK3 all text labels on the user interface have  a bigger
> font size then for GTK2. Is there global setting which can control default
> font size for UI elements?

You can set a font size using a settings.ini file:

  https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/GtkSettings.html

or you can control the font size for your application programmatically
using the GtkSettings singleton.

https://www.bassi.io
[@] ebassi [@gmail.com]

Re: How to in GTK3 set global default text size?

Igor Chetverovod
Hello, Emmanuele!

In the  installation sequence for windows there is a trap - msys2 version
for WinXP(my application is using this OS)  is not  more provided.  So, I
can install only GTK3.6 version which was provided Tarnyko ( thanks to
him!) (http://www.tarnyko.net/dl/gtk.htm).

Thank you, I will try GtkSettings.

Best regards,
Igor

> First of all, GTK+ 3.6.4 was released in January 2013, which means
> it's 4.5 years old and it's completely unsupported.
>
> The latest (long-term support) stable release is 3.22.15; please use
> that, especially if you're developing for Windows.
>
> Follow the instructions on the GTK+ website to know how to install on
> your development machine:
>
>   https://www.gtk.org/download/windows.php
>
> then you can package up all the shared libraries and other assets when
> distributing your application.
>
> On 16 May 2017 at 14:04, Igor Chetverovod <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I am making porting my own win32 application from GTK2 to GTK3.6.4. I
> have
> > an issue, for GTK3 all text labels on the user interface have  a bigger
> > font size then for GTK2. Is there global setting which can control
> default
> > font size for UI elements?
>
> You can set a font size using a settings.ini file:
>
>   https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/GtkSettings.html
>
> or you can control the font size for your application programmatically
> using the GtkSettings singleton.
>
> Ciao,
>  Emmanuele.
>
> --
> https://www.bassi.io
> [@] ebassi [@gmail.com]

Re: How to in GTK3 set global default text size?

Emmanuele Bassi
Windows XP is a completely unsupported platform that just recently had
a major vulnerability that exposed systems worldwide to ransomware,
and it's well-known that state actors (and people who managed to get
access to state actors tools) are still sitting on other
vulnerabilities.

GTK+ does *not* support Windows XP any more either; you're running an
application using an unsupported version of a toolkit on an
unsupported operating system.

*Please* stop using or supporting Windows XP.

--
https://www.bassi.io
[@] ebassi [@gmail.com]

Re: How to in GTK3 set global default text size?

Igor Chetverovod
Done! I had copied changed settings.ini file to the folder  /etc/gtk-3.0 in
aplication folder and font size was updated in whole UI of application.