Helping Document PHP-GTK

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Helping Document PHP-GTK

Paul Lashbrook
Hiya guys,

Ive just started my php-gtk app that ive been thinking about for awhile, it
will use GtkScintilla extensively and since the current documentation
information is sparse i would like to offer to help add documentation to the
manual as i go...

i just dont know how to go about it.. or if theres anyone still around as
the archive shows it's been awhile.

cheers guys (if anyone is there)

Paul Lashbrook
Systems Architect
Original Webware Limited

Freephone : 0800 5200 560
T : +44 (0)1884 30 80 20
F : +44 (0)1884 30 80 21
Skype : paul.lashbrook

Follow us on twitter! - http://twitter.com/owltd

Original Webware Limited is Registered in England no 6681968.  Registered
Office: Unit 9 Langlands Business Park, Uffculme, Devon, EX15 3DA
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Helping Document PHP-GTK

Bruce Weirdan
On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 2:01 PM, Paul Lashbrook
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hiya guys,
>
> Ive just started my php-gtk app that ive been thinking about for awhile, it
> will use GtkScintilla extensively and since the current documentation
> information is sparse i would like to offer to help add documentation to
> the
> manual as i go...
>

That would be great, especially for the GtkScintilla component. The project
of mine (http://code.google.com/p/gtk-xdebug-client, shameless plug :) )
uses GtkScintilla and it proved really hard to find the information on it.

--
 Best regards,
     Bruce Weirdan                                     mailto:
[hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Helping Document PHP-GTK

Paul Lashbrook
On 23 March 2010 13:06, Weirdan <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> That would be great, especially for the GtkScintilla component. The project
> of mine (http://code.google.com/p/gtk-xdebug-client, shameless plug :) )
> uses GtkScintilla and it proved really hard to find the information on it.
>
> --
>  Best regards,
>      Bruce Weirdan                                     mailto:
> [hidden email]
>

Thanks for the reply Bruce, dont supose you know who i need to bug to get on
the documentation team?

as for your project, ive sent you an email about using your project as im
not quite ready to let the details of my project go in the public domain
(started last night :) )

thanks


Paul Lashbrook
Systems Architect
Original Webware Limited

Freephone : 0800 5200 560
T : +44 (0)1884 30 80 20
F : +44 (0)1884 30 80 21
Skype : paul.lashbrook

Follow us on twitter! - http://twitter.com/owltd

Original Webware Limited is Registered in England no 6681968.  Registered
Office: Unit 9 Langlands Business Park, Uffculme, Devon, EX15 3DA
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Helping Document PHP-GTK

Bruce Weirdan
On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 6:23 PM, Paul Lashbrook
<[hidden email]>wrote:

Thanks for the reply Bruce, dont supose you know who i need to bug to get on
> the documentation team?
>

Folk used to hang on irc://freenode/#php-gtk - you might want to ask there.


--
 Best regards,
     Bruce Weirdan                                     mailto:
[hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Helping Document PHP-GTK

Madeleine D.-3
In reply to this post by Paul Lashbrook


You might try Fernando; he had a plan last year to accept docs and
convert them for the site.

Last email I have is:

[hidden email]

hth,
Madeleine D.



Paul Lashbrook wrote:

> On 23 March 2010 13:06, Weirdan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>  
>> That would be great, especially for the GtkScintilla component. The project
>> of mine (http://code.google.com/p/gtk-xdebug-client, shameless plug :) )
>> uses GtkScintilla and it proved really hard to find the information on it.
>>
>> --
>>  Best regards,
>>      Bruce Weirdan                                     mailto:
>> [hidden email]
>>
>>    
>
> Thanks for the reply Bruce, dont supose you know who i need to bug to get on
> the documentation team?
>
> as for your project, ive sent you an email about using your project as im
> not quite ready to let the details of my project go in the public domain
> (started last night :) )
>
> thanks
>
>
> Paul Lashbrook
> Systems Architect
> Original Webware Limited
>
> Freephone : 0800 5200 560
> T : +44 (0)1884 30 80 20
> F : +44 (0)1884 30 80 21
> Skype : paul.lashbrook
>
> Follow us on twitter! - http://twitter.com/owltd
>
> Original Webware Limited is Registered in England no 6681968.  Registered
> Office: Unit 9 Langlands Business Park, Uffculme, Devon, EX15 3DA
>
>  

--
PHP-GTK Documentation Mailing List (http://gtk.php.net/)
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Helping Document PHP-GTK

Elizabeth M Smith
In reply to this post by Paul Lashbrook
On 3/23/2010 8:01 AM, Paul Lashbrook wrote:

> Hiya guys,
>
> Ive just started my php-gtk app that ive been thinking about for awhile, it
> will use GtkScintilla extensively and since the current documentation
> information is sparse i would like to offer to help add documentation to the
> manual as i go...
>
> i just dont know how to go about it.. or if theres anyone still around as
> the archive shows it's been awhile.
>
> cheers guys (if anyone is there)
>


AHHH! people to draft into writing docs!

HURRAY (excuse the excess enthusiasm - docs are a thankless and frankly
slightly boring thing)

1st of all - yeah the (few) people who actually still do some php-gtk
work hang out in #php-gtk on freenode, great place to come if you're
interested in helping out.

2nd - the docs are all in docbook format in the PHP svn
http://svn.php.net/repository/gtk/php-gtk-doc/trunk/

php-gtk currently uses a rather proprietary format of docbook - with
it's own dtd extension and some stylesheets that make my head hurt that
are run through xsltproc in order to generate the actual html.

This is not fun.

The IDEAL thing would be to migrate the docs to docbook 5, using the php
xsd with some of our own extensions (like PEAR does for it's special
markup) and then we could use PhD (a php based docbook renderer written
for the PHP documentation that is fast and fun)  Some people started on
this... then floated away.

But that's a BIG project.

If you want to just help document now, feel free to check out the
documentation from svn, do some editing, and send patches for changes to
the php.gtk.dev mailing list.

After a few good patches someone (most likely me) will probably get sick
of applying said patches and get you an svn account and karma.

But yeah, patches first - on the docs in SVN.  You can really ignore a
lot of the stuff there, the actual "meat" of the manual is here
http://svn.php.net/repository/gtk/php-gtk-doc/trunk/manual/en/

the translations are horribly out of date as well.

Thanks,
Elizabeth Smith


--
PHP-GTK Documentation Mailing List (http://gtk.php.net/)
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: Helping Document PHP-GTK

Paul Lashbrook
|    php-gtk currently uses a rather proprietary format of docbook - with
it's own dtd extension and some stylesheets that make my head hurt that are
run
|    through xsltproc in order to generate the actual html.
|
|    This is not fun.


Yeah im not sure i like the sound of that! my head hurts enough as it is =)

so... the ideal would be what i would go for, when the last few peeps
started to convert the docs was it on svn? or has someone got a copy i can
take off from?

im thinking about starting a google code project so its under svn and open
to more people to help... what do you think?

|   HURRAY (excuse the excess enthusiasm - docs are a thankless and frankly
slightly boring thing)

its a shame that its the thing that makes or breaks a project... if it
wasn't for php's online manual i would of quit as a n00b, would be great to
have that standard for php-gtk... might help to get more people using
php-gtk which would do everyone's career options wonders!


has anyone heard about HipHop for php? its a php 2 C++ transformer and
compiles it with g++
url: http://developers.facebook.com/hiphop-php/

would be interesting to see if you could compile a php-gtk app with it

chears

Paul Lashbrook
Systems Architect
Original Webware Limited

Freephone : 0800 5200 560
T : +44 (0)1884 30 80 20
F : +44 (0)1884 30 80 21
Skype : paul.lashbrook

Follow us on twitter! - http://twitter.com/owltd

Original Webware Limited is Registered in England no 6681968.  Registered
Office: Unit 9 Langlands Business Park, Uffculme, Devon, EX15 3DA


On 24 March 2010 17:54, Elizabeth M Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> docbook 5
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: Helping Document PHP-GTK

Christian Weiske
In reply to this post by Elizabeth M Smith
Hi Elizabeth,



> php-gtk currently uses a rather proprietary format of docbook -
> with
> it's own dtd extension and some stylesheets that make my head hurt
> that are run through xsltproc in order to generate the actual html.
>
> This is not fun.

Oh, it actually is fun and was at the time of writing :)

--
Regards/Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Christian Weiske

-=≡ Geeking around in the name of science since 1982 ≡=-

signature.asc (205 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: Helping Document PHP-GTK

Elizabeth Smith
In reply to this post by Paul Lashbrook
On 3/24/2010 3:34 PM, Paul Lashbrook wrote:

>
> Yeah im not sure i like the sound of that! my head hurts enough as it
> is =)
>
> so... the ideal would be what i would go for, when the last few peeps
> started to convert the docs was it on svn? or has someone got a copy i
> can take off from?
>
> im thinking about starting a google code project so its under svn and
> open to more people to help... what do you think?
Actually, if you are serious about doing this - we'll do a branch in PHP
svn and you can have at it.  Yes, the work needs to be under svn where
anyone can help out with the project.
> has anyone heard about HipHop for php? its a php 2 C++ transformer and
> compiles it with g++
> url: http://developers.facebook.com/hiphop-php/
>
> would be interesting to see if you could compile a php-gtk app with it
I doubt it.  First of all hiphop doesnt' work on windows (major fale in
my book)
Secondly php-gtk extension for hiphop would need to be written - if you
look at the hiphop implementation each extension needs to basically be
rewritten to use it.  considering php-gtk doesn't even have all of the
gtk stuff covered, not going to happen any time soon ;)

Thanks,
Elizabeth Smith

--
PHP-GTK Documentation Mailing List (http://gtk.php.net/)
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: Helping Document PHP-GTK

Elizabeth M Smith
In reply to this post by Christian Weiske
On 3/24/2010 5:27 PM, Christian Weiske wrote:

> Hi Elizabeth,
>
>
>
>> php-gtk currently uses a rather proprietary format of docbook -
>> with
>> it's own dtd extension and some stylesheets that make my head hurt
>> that are run through xsltproc in order to generate the actual html.
>>
>> This is not fun.
>
> Oh, it actually is fun and was at the time of writing :)
>

LOL - yes I bet it was fun, and at the time was the best solution I'm
sure.  I'm just spoiled by PhD now ;)

Thanks,
Elizabeth

--
PHP-GTK Documentation Mailing List (http://gtk.php.net/)
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: Helping Document PHP-GTK

Mark Skilbeck
In reply to this post by Paul Lashbrook
On 24/03/10 19:34, Paul Lashbrook wrote:

> |    php-gtk currently uses a rather proprietary format of docbook - with
> it's own dtd extension and some stylesheets that make my head hurt that are
> run
> |    through xsltproc in order to generate the actual html.
> |
> |    This is not fun.
>
>
> Yeah im not sure i like the sound of that! my head hurts enough as it is =)
>
> so... the ideal would be what i would go for, when the last few peeps
> started to convert the docs was it on svn? or has someone got a copy i can
> take off from?
>
> im thinking about starting a google code project so its under svn and open
> to more people to help... what do you think?
>
> |   HURRAY (excuse the excess enthusiasm - docs are a thankless and frankly
> slightly boring thing)
>
> its a shame that its the thing that makes or breaks a project... if it
> wasn't for php's online manual i would of quit as a n00b, would be great to
> have that standard for php-gtk... might help to get more people using
> php-gtk which would do everyone's career options wonders!
>
>
> has anyone heard about HipHop for php? its a php 2 C++ transformer and
> compiles it with g++
> url: http://developers.facebook.com/hiphop-php/
>
> would be interesting to see if you could compile a php-gtk app with it
>
> chears
>
> Paul Lashbrook
> Systems Architect
> Original Webware Limited
>
> Freephone : 0800 5200 560
> T : +44 (0)1884 30 80 20
> F : +44 (0)1884 30 80 21
> Skype : paul.lashbrook
>
> Follow us on twitter! - http://twitter.com/owltd
>
> Original Webware Limited is Registered in England no 6681968.  Registered
> Office: Unit 9 Langlands Business Park, Uffculme, Devon, EX15 3DA
>
>
> On 24 March 2010 17:54, Elizabeth M Smith<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> docbook 5
>

Definitely an interesting project. Head to #php-gtk and we could discuss
the migration. The only thing holding me back from writing documentation
for PHP-GTK is the headache it entails. :)

--
Mark Skilbeck
mahcuz.com | gtk.php.net | pecl.php.net/cairo | docs.php.net

--
PHP-GTK Documentation Mailing List (http://gtk.php.net/)
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php