Heap corruption and other problems (was: Heap corruption and other problems)

Heap corruption and other problems (was: Heap corruption and other problems)

Dmitry A. Kazakov

From: "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [gtkada] Heap corruption and other problems
To: Chris Sparks <[hidden email]>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 09:19:34 +0200

On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 23:20:49 -0700, you wrote:

> I have been using GtkAda more to see if I can get something of what I
> had before running.  It seems that
> my dependence on main_loops and a task router is not working, along with
> setting an Event_Handler.  So it
> seems that I have make my own infinite loop and check for pending
> events.

I don't understand why are you doing it in this way. It is relatively
simple to have a custom drawn widgets (or cell renderers). I did it both
based on GDK and lately in Cairo. I also successfully ported GDK based
widgets to Cairo, which is not very difficult, just tedious.

It seems to me that you rather have a design problem relying on events you
don't need to catch.

> Cairo seems to be taking care of all the draw events but I
> have notice that my handler is
> being called way too much and I think using Ada delays (I know it is not
> a desired approach) drops drawing
> events.

In fact, new Cairo works pretty well. I successfully ported this library

   http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de/ada/aicwl.htm

to GtkAda 3.4. Everything worked smoothly, after fixing some subtle issues
with Pango (which is a bit broken, but nothing one could not work around).
I cannot release AICWL though, because of the problems with GTK. They do
not affect this library because it practically does not use dynamic memory
upon rendering.

Dmitry A. Kazakov
http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de