Gnome2::About

Fabio Marzocca
Is there any way to make a Gnome2::About dialog "transient" to main
window? I have tried set_transient_for($window) but it introduces some
oddity..

Re: Gnome2::About

muppet-6

The Saltydog said:
> Is there any way to make a Gnome2::About dialog "transient" to main
> window? I have tried set_transient_for($window) but it introduces some
> oddity..

Could you be more specific?  What is the "oddity"?  Possibly post a small
example?

--
muppet <scott at asofyet dot org>

Re: Gnome2::About

Fabio Marzocca
On 6/30/05, muppet <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Could you be more specific?  What is the "oddity"?  Possibly post a small
> example?

Sorry, I made confusion.
Using
$ga->set_transient_for($main_window)
doesn't change anything in the behaviour of the window. Main window
remains clickable and works normally with the Gnome2::About above it.

I have tried with $ga->set_modal(TRUE) and this works for this first
about window (it is really modal in respect to the main window) but
the oddity is that if you open the second dialog by clicking on the
"Acknowledgments" button, the second dialog's Close button doesn'ìt
work anymore.

I hope I have been much clear now. Sorry.

Re: Gnome2::About

muppet-6

The Saltydog said:
> Using
> $ga->set_transient_for($main_window)
> doesn't change anything in the behaviour of the window. Main window
> remains clickable and works normally with the Gnome2::About above it.

A little sandboxing shows that this (transient child behavior) happens without
application code intervention.

> I have tried with $ga->set_modal(TRUE) and this works for this first
> about window (it is really modal in respect to the main window) but
> the oddity is that if you open the second dialog by clicking on the
> "Acknowledgments" button, the second dialog's Close button doesn'ìt
> work anymore.

It sounds like this is happening:  about dialog is made transient child of
main window.  app code makes about dialog modal, so it is the only one that
accepts events (at the x server).  about dialog creates a new transient child,
but does not know that it needs to make the child modal, so the about dialog
is still the only one getting any events.

>From what i can tell, Gnome doesn't want About dialogs to be modal.  :-/

Also, Gnome2::About has been replaced, as of gtk+ 2.6, by Gtk2::AboutDialog.
I don't have gtk+ 2.6 on this desktop, so i can't really tell you if it
exhibits the same behavior.

--
muppet <scott at asofyet dot org>

Re: Gnome2::About

Fabio Marzocca
On 6/30/05, muppet <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Also, Gnome2::About has been replaced, as of gtk+ 2.6, by Gtk2::AboutDialog.
> I don't have gtk+ 2.6 on this desktop, so i can't really tell you if it
> exhibits the same behavior.

I am using Gtk2 v.2.6.4, but I don't have Gtk2::AboutDialog... I have
read that Gnome2::About is becoming obsolete, but I have no substitute
and I'm too lazy to write a new one just to use it once..:-)

Re: Gnome2::About

Fabio Marzocca
On 6/30/05, The Saltydog <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am using Gtk2 v.2.6.4, but I don't have Gtk2::AboutDialog... I have
> read that Gnome2::About is becoming obsolete, but I have no substitute
> and I'm too lazy to write a new one just to use it once..:-)

maybe it is due to perl-gtk2 v. 1.061??

Re: Gnome2::About

muppet-6

The Saltydog said:
> On 6/30/05, The Saltydog <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I am using Gtk2 v.2.6.4, but I don't have Gtk2::AboutDialog... I have
>> read that Gnome2::About is becoming obsolete, but I have no substitute
>> and I'm too lazy to write a new one just to use it once..:-)
>>
> maybe it is due to perl-gtk2 v. 1.061??

That'd be it.  perl-Gtk2 1.080 added support for new widgets in gtk+ 2.6.0.
The current stable release is 1.082.

One day the bindings will be introspection-based and this sort of versioning
trouble will be a faint memory -- new objects and methods will just pop into
existence when you upgrade gtk+.  :-)  Until then, always use the most recent
stable version of the bindings.

--
muppet <scott at asofyet dot org>