Glyph width vs advance width

Pranay Samanta

Hello

I have a query regarding the glyph's width and the glyph's advance width.

Can glyph width be greater than adnvance width?

And if yes, can you please explain one scenario when and why will it be required?

Thanks and regards
Pranay Samanta

Re: Glyph width vs advance width

davelab6

hi

the w can often be a little wider in glyph width than advance width, to avoid distasteful gaps with other vertical letters like in www

also many fonts for Indian scripts with a head line like Devanagari have a similar slightly extending headline

cheers
dave

On Feb 25, 2015 2:56 AM, "Pranay Samanta" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello

I have a query regarding the glyph's width and the glyph's advance width.

Can glyph width be greater than adnvance width?

And if yes, can you please explain one scenario when and why will it be required?

Thanks and regards
Pranay Samanta

Re: Glyph width vs advance width

Behdad Esfahbod-3
Also, 'f' in many italic fonts for example.  Many glyphs in most script-style
fonts.

On 15-02-25 06:45 AM, Dave Crossland wrote:

> hi
>
> the w can often be a little wider in glyph width than advance width, to avoid
> distasteful gaps with other vertical letters like in www
>
> also many fonts for Indian scripts with a head line like Devanagari have a
> similar slightly extending headline
>
> cheers
> dave
>
> On Feb 25, 2015 2:56 AM, "Pranay Samanta" <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hello
>
>     I have a query regarding the glyph's width and the glyph's advance width.
>
>     Can glyph width be greater than adnvance width?
>
>     And if yes, can you please explain one scenario when and why will it be
>     required?
>
>     Thanks and regards
>     Pranay Samanta

behdad