Glibmm-2.52: Shall StreamIOChannel and IOChannel vfuncs be undeprecated?

Glibmm-2.52: Shall StreamIOChannel and IOChannel vfuncs be undeprecated?

Kjell Ahlstedt

This concerns glibmm-2.52, the future API/ABI-breaking release.

The whole StreamIOChannel class is deprecated. So are all virtual functions in IOChannel. A now removed comment explained why:

This feature of being able to implement a custom Glib::IOChannel is
deprecated in glibmm 2.2.  The vfunc interface has not yet stabilized
enough to allow that -- the C++ wrapper went in by pure accident.

Is "not yet stabilized enough" still true? The latest ABI change in the vfuncs was made in February 2002. I can certainly remove StreamIOChannel and the vfuncs in glibmm 2.52, but wouldn't it be at least as good to keep them and undeprecate them? IMO the comment about not yet stabilized vfuncs is obsolete.

Re: Glibmm-2.52: Shall StreamIOChannel and IOChannel vfuncs be undeprecated?

Murray Cumming-5
On Fri, 2017-03-03 at 13:46 +0100, Kjell Ahlstedt wrote:

> This concerns glibmm-2.52, the future API/ABI-breaking release.
> The whole StreamIOChannel class is deprecated. So are all virtual
> functions in IOChannel. A now removed comment explained why:
> This feature of being able to implement a custom Glib::IOChannel is
> deprecated in glibmm 2.2.  The vfunc interface has not yet stabilized
> enough to allow that -- the C++ wrapper went in by pure accident.
> Is "not yet stabilized enough" still true? The latest ABI change in
> the vfuncs was made in February 2002. I can certainly remove
> StreamIOChannel and the vfuncs in glibmm 2.52, but wouldn't it be at
> least as good to keep them and undeprecate them? IMO the comment
> about not yet stabilized vfuncs is obsolete.

Thanks for investigating.

Would it be useful? Could we even create a test case showing how to use
this feature?

--
Murray Cumming
[hidden email]

On Thu, 2017-03-16 at 14:32 +0100, Kjell Ahlstedt wrote:
>  I don't know if it's useful.

Then let's not have it unless we at least have a test case that uses
it, please.

>  Anyway, if the vfuncs in IOChannel are removed, GlibmmIOChannel in
> iochannel.ccg must also be removed. It uses the vfuncs. And the
> default constructor, which uses GlibmmIOChannel, must be removed, I
> suppose.

That makes sense. Thanks.

--
Murray Cumming