Generating glib-genmarshal

John Emmas-2
Hi guys...

       python  win32/gen_util_scripts.py --type=glib-genmarshal
--version=<WHATEVER>

If I'm building glib from git master, the above command works fine (if I
issue it from a DOS window or from my MSVC project file). However... it
produces an error if I try to build from the 'glib-2-52' branch.  Is
that to be expected?

In case it helps, the error message that I see is:-

         File "win32/gen_util_scripts.py", line 30, in main
            raise ValueError('Type must be glib-mkenums or gdbus-codegen')

It's probably something that's been changed in 2-52 but not merged into
master yet.  Anyway... just flagging it up,

Thanks, John

Re: Generating glib-genmarshal

Emmanuele Bassi
In GLib 2.52, glib-genmarshal is a C program. In GLib master, which
will become GLib 2.54 soon, glib-genmarshal is a Python program.

The change from C to Python will *not* be backported to GLib 2.52.

https://www.bassi.io
[@] ebassi [@gmail.com]

On 06/09/2017 17:37, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
> In GLib 2.52, glib-genmarshal is a C program. In GLib master, which
> will become GLib 2.54 soon, glib-genmarshal is a Python program.

Ah... possibly the error message needs to change then at line 35 of
'win32/gen_util_scripts.py' (in master) ?

John

Re: Generating glib-genmarshal

Gtk+ - Dev - General mailing list
Hi John,

Thanks for pointing this out (oversight on my side), the fix for this
has been pushed to master.

p.s. Were you able to build GDK-Pixbuf succesfully?

With blessings, and cheers!

On 07/09/2017 03:59, Chun-wei Fan (范君維) via gtk-devel-list wrote:

> p.s. Were you able to build GDK-Pixbuf succesfully?

Hi Chun-wei,

I'm going through the process of adapting my MSVC projects to
accommodate the fact that some old perl scripts are now python scripts
(and glib-genmarshal is now a python script too). Gdk-pixbuf (and Gtk+2)
are both on my radar for this afternoon so I'll let you know how I get
on! Regards,

On 07/09/2017 08:44, John Emmas wrote:

> On 07/09/2017 03:59, Chun-wei Fan (范君維) via gtk-devel-list wrote:
>>
>> p.s. Were you able to build GDK-Pixbuf succesfully?
>>

> I'm going through the process of adapting my MSVC projects to
> accommodate the fact that some old perl scripts are now python scripts
> (and glib-genmarshal is now a python script too). Gdk-pixbuf (and
> Gtk+2) are both on my radar for this afternoon so I'll let you know
> how I get on!

Hi Chun-wei,

gdk-pixbuf and gdk+2 both built fine for me.  The only odd thing I
noticed was when building gtk (from gtk-2-24) I saw quite a few warning
messages looking like this:-

       WARNING: The token "BOOL" is deprecated; use "BOOLEAN" instead
       WARNING: The token "NONE" is deprecated; use "VOID" instead

They're probably nothing to worry about (I think they might be coming
from 'gtk/gtkmarshal.list').  In fact it's possible they've always been
there but I don't remember noticing them before...

On 7 September 2017 at 16:35, John Emmas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> gdk-pixbuf and gdk+2 both built fine for me.  The only odd thing I noticed
> was when building gtk (from gtk-2-24) I saw quite a few warning messages
> looking like this:-
>
>       WARNING: The token "BOOL" is deprecated; use "BOOLEAN" instead
>       WARNING: The token "NONE" is deprecated; use "VOID" instead
>
> They're probably nothing to worry about (I think they might be coming from
> 'gtk/gtkmarshal.list').  In fact it's possible they've always been there but
> I don't remember noticing them before...

No, the deprecation warnings are new, and were added with the rewrite to Python.

The `BOOL` and `NONE` keywords have been deprecated for 17 years —
they were deprecated when glib-genmarshal was added to the GLib
repository. Older versions of GTK+ still use those keywords because
they haven't been touched in years, and people cargo-culted their way
out of these things.

The deprecation warnings are there to let people know that
copy-pasting from old projects does not imply that things will never
change. :-)

https://www.bassi.io
[@] ebassi [@gmail.com]