Gauge BSE file compat requirements

Tim Janik-6
Hi Stefan et all,

as mentioned recently, I've been looking into writing an XML serializer that can
help with Beast's future file format. It's coming along nicely and I've pondered
how to auto convert the old sexpr BSE files to XML.

Also, with some googling, I managed to quickly cook up a Python sexpr parser
that can read BSE files into Python lists. I need a bit of an idea on how much
effort the compatibility conversion code deserves, could you please run
something like the following and send me the counts?

grep -ao 'bse-version "[^"]*"' $(find  ~/  /other-paths-to-bse-files/  \
  -name '*.bse')  | sed 's/.*://' | sort | uniq -c | sort -n

So I get an idea of how many old BSE files are lying around and about version
clusters...

--
Yours sincerely,
Tim Janik

https://testbit.eu/timj/
Free software author.

Re: Gauge BSE file compat requirements

Stefan Westerfeld
   Hi!

On Sun, Aug 20, 2017 at 11:38:21PM +0200, Tim Janik wrote:

> Hi Stefan et all,
>
> as mentioned recently, I've been looking into writing an XML serializer that can
> help with Beast's future file format. It's coming along nicely and I've pondered
> how to auto convert the old sexpr BSE files to XML.
>
> Also, with some googling, I managed to quickly cook up a Python sexpr parser
> that can read BSE files into Python lists. I need a bit of an idea on how much
> effort the compatibility conversion code deserves, could you please run
> something like the following and send me the counts?
>
> grep -ao 'bse-version "[^"]*"' $(find  ~/  /other-paths-to-bse-files/  \
>   -name '*.bse')  | sed 's/.*://' | sort | uniq -c | sort -n
>

> So I get an idea of how many old BSE files are lying around and about version
> clusters...

I did one additional exclusion step to avoid counting .bse files lying around in
various beast git source tree checkouts. Here are the results:

$ grep -ao 'bse-version "[^"]*"' $(cat /tmp/bse-files-excl) | sed 's/.*://' | sort | uniq -c | sort -n
      1 bse-version "0.11.1"
      1 bse-version "0.6.0"
      1 bse-version "0.7.9"
      2 bse-version "0.5.0"