GTK install help

Tina Nemarnik
I have a MacBook Pro and I ma trying to install GTK. After executing ./configure I get the following error, please help!

checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... (cached) yes
checking for pkg-config... no
checking for BASE_DEPENDENCIES... configure: error: The pkg-config script could not be found or is too old.  Make sure it
is in your PATH or set the PKG_CONFIG environment variable to the full
path to pkg-config.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables BASE_DEPENDENCIES_CFLAGS
and BASE_DEPENDENCIES_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.

To get pkg-config, see <http://www.freedesktop.org/software/pkgconfig>. /// the web site in so longer available.

Thank you in advance.