Fwd: OSX and XQuartz support

Andrew Wagner

Begin forwarded message:

From: Andrew Wagner <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: OSX and XQuartz support
Date: November 27, 2017 at 4:22:45 PM EST
To: Paul Davis <[hidden email]>
Cc: Stephen Whiteley <[hidden email]>

Hi Paul,

The project isn’t meant to choose, just use the X11 backend. The reason is that its written to be cross platform as much as possible so X11 and GtK are the common framework. Its an open source project found here: https://github.com/wrcad/xictools and any help you or anyone can offer to streamline the GUI (or just the GUI library installation) would be very welcome.

Cheers,

Andrew

On Nov 27, 2017, at 4:12 PM, Paul Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

Why would your project choose to use the X11 backend? How would it choose?

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 2:48 PM, Andrew Wagner <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

I’m new to gtk and am installing it on my Mac since its a dependency for other code I’m developing. I successfully followed the OSX install instructions:

./gtk-osx-build-setup.sh
jhbuild bootstrap
jhbuild build python meta-gtk-osx-bootstrap meta-gtk-osx-core

but noticed afterword that the x11 include files in the source directory had not been installed in the inst/include directory. The project I’m working on uses gtk via x11 rather than the native osx quartz. I was wondering if there was a module like meta-gtk-osx-x11 or meta-gtk-osx-xquartz that would install these for me (I have Xquartz installed)? Is there a way in the mean time to do this by hand? I know that macports has this sorted out but I like to try to get code “from the horses mouth” rather than the various Mac porting platforms. Thanks very much for your help.

Cheers,

Andrew Wagner

Re: OSX and XQuartz support

Andrea Giammarchi
just wondering: wouldn't a quartz with XWayland on it be able to support that already?

Begin forwarded message:

Re: OSX and XQuartz support

Paul Davis
I think you're confused :)

Quartz is the native MacOS windowing system. X11 exists as a rootless X Window environment for Quartz. There is (to my knowledge) no sign of XWayland for Mac OS/Quartz.

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 5:29 PM, Andrea Giammarchi <[hidden email]> wrote:
just wondering: wouldn't a quartz with XWayland on it be able to support that already?

Begin forwarded message:

Re: OSX and XQuartz support

Andrea Giammarchi
I am, yes ... I gtk on Wayland too much and I thought quartz could handle wayland backend too, sorry.

I fade away from this thread now

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 7:32 PM, Paul Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think you're confused :)

Quartz is the native MacOS windowing system. X11 exists as a rootless X Window environment for Quartz. There is (to my knowledge) no sign of XWayland for Mac OS/Quartz.

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 5:29 PM, Andrea Giammarchi <[hidden email]> wrote:
just wondering: wouldn't a quartz with XWayland on it be able to support that already?

Begin forwarded message:

Re: OSX and XQuartz support

Andrew Wagner
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the clarification. Your point about using the native Quartz windowing system is well taken and may be implemented in the future but right now thats a bit of a distraction for me. The code I want to compile is actually sitting in the source that jhbuild pulls down, namely ~/gtk/source/gtk+-2.24.31/gdk/x11 and I have XQuartz installed on my machine so I have the necessary X11 dependencies but I’m not fluent enough in the gtk dependency scheme to understand how modify the makefiles to build gtk against x11 on a mac.

Cheers,

Andrew

On Nov 27, 2017, at 5:32 PM, Paul Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

I think you're confused :)

Quartz is the native MacOS windowing system. X11 exists as a rootless X Window environment for Quartz. There is (to my knowledge) no sign of XWayland for Mac OS/Quartz.

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 5:29 PM, Andrea Giammarchi <[hidden email]> wrote:
just wondering: wouldn't a quartz with XWayland on it be able to support that already?

Begin forwarded message:

Re: OSX and XQuartz support

Antoine Martin
On 28/11/17 09:45, Andrew Wagner wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> Thanks for the clarification. Your point about using the native Quartz
> windowing system is well taken and may be implemented in the future but
> right now thats a bit of a distraction for me. The code I want to
> compile is actually sitting in the source that jhbuild pulls down,
> namely ~/gtk/source/gtk+-2.24.31/gdk/x11 and I have XQuartz installed on
> my machine so I have the necessary X11 dependencies but I’m not fluent
> enough in the gtk dependency scheme to understand how modify the
> makefiles to build gtk against x11 on a mac.
You can build gtk2 for X11 using macports:
https://www.macports.org/ports.php?by=name&substr=gtk2

Cheers
Antoine

> Cheers,
>
> Andrew
>

>> On Nov 27, 2017, at 5:32 PM, Paul Davis <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> I think you're confused :)
>>
>> Quartz is the native MacOS windowing system. X11 exists as a rootless
>> X Window environment for Quartz. There is (to my knowledge) no sign of
>> XWayland for Mac OS/Quartz.
>>

>> On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 5:29 PM, Andrea Giammarchi
>>
>>     just wondering: wouldn't a quartz with XWayland on it be able to
>>     support that already?
>>
>>     On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 7:02 PM, Andrew Wagner
>>     <[hidden email]
>>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>

>>>         Begin forwarded message:
>>>
>>>         *From: *Andrew Wagner <[hidden email]
>>>         <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>>>         *Subject: **Re: OSX and XQuartz support*
>>>         *Date: *November 27, 2017 at 4:22:45 PM EST
>>>         *To: *Paul Davis <[hidden email]
>>>         <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>>>         *Cc: *Stephen Whiteley <[hidden email]
>>>         <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>>>
>>>         Hi Paul,
>>>
>>>         The project isn’t meant to choose, just use the X11 backend.
>>>         The reason is that its written to be cross platform as much
>>>         as possible so X11 and GtK are the common framework. Its an
>>>         open source project found
>>>         here: https://github.com/wrcad/xictools
>>>         <https://github.com/wrcad/xictools> and any help you or
>>>         anyone can offer to streamline the GUI (or just the GUI
>>>         library installation) would be very welcome.
>>>
>>>         Cheers,
>>>
>>>         Andrew

Re: OSX and XQuartz support

Rafal Luzynski
28.11.2017 03:45 Andrew Wagner <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Hi Paul,
>
>  Thanks for the clarification. Your point about using the native Quartz
> windowing system is well taken and may be implemented in the future but right
> now thats a bit of a distraction for me. The code I want to compile is
> actually sitting in the source that jhbuild pulls down, namely
> ~/gtk/source/gtk+-2.24.31/gdk/x11 and I have XQuartz installed on my machine
> so I have the necessary X11 dependencies but I’m not fluent enough in the gtk
> dependency scheme to understand how modify the makefiles to build gtk against
> x11 on a mac.

I'm not sure if I understand your issue correctly so I provide multiple
answers in hope that at least one of them is correct. X11 is a default
GTK backend for Linux and several other Unix-like operating systems.
For OS X the default backend is Quartz. X11 is not available (although
I'm not sure how XQuartz works). I don't know what your application
does. If it uses only the portable GTK and GDK API you should just
build GTK against Quartz (which is default) and your application
should work without any problem. Do you use any X Window System
Interaction API [1] or X API (like Xlib [2]) directly? They will not work
(again, I'm not sure about it and I'll appreciate if somebody explains).
If possible, please remove those calls from your code. You can use
conditional preprocessor directives (#ifdef ... #else ... #endif).

Hope that helps. Regards,

Rafal

[1] https://developer.gnome.org/gdk2/2.24/gdk2-X-Window-System-Interaction.html
[2] https://tronche.com/gui/x/xlib/function-index.html

Re: OSX and XQuartz support

Andrew Wagner
Hi Rafal,

I’m not a windowing systems expert but for all intents and purposes XQuartz is X11 for OSX, it literally gives OSX an X11 backend option. See https://www.xquartz.org/. As for the details of the project that use the windowing system, I’m uncertain and it would take some effort to figure out what breaks if I tried to switch to a Quartz backend. So asked another way, what are the jhbuild commands to build GTK on a linux/unix system?

Cheers,

Andrew

On Nov 28, 2017, at 5:53 AM, Rafal Luzynski <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Antoine,

This is the direction I’m heading in (using macports), my question is basically the feature request to add an X11 option (for users who have XQuartz) in the jhbuild module set.

Cheers,

Andrew

> On Nov 27, 2017, at 11:34 PM, Antoine Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 28/11/17 09:45, Andrew Wagner wrote:
>> Hi Paul,
>>
>> Thanks for the clarification. Your point about using the native Quartz
>> windowing system is well taken and may be implemented in the future but
>> right now thats a bit of a distraction for me. The code I want to
>> compile is actually sitting in the source that jhbuild pulls down,
>> namely ~/gtk/source/gtk+-2.24.31/gdk/x11 and I have XQuartz installed on
>> my machine so I have the necessary X11 dependencies but I’m not fluent
>> enough in the gtk dependency scheme to understand how modify the
>> makefiles to build gtk against x11 on a mac.
> You can build gtk2 for X11 using macports:
> https://www.macports.org/ports.php?by=name&substr=gtk2
>
> Cheers
> Antoine
>

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Andrew
>>

>>> On Nov 27, 2017, at 5:32 PM, Paul Davis <[hidden email]
>>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I think you're confused :)
>>>
>>> Quartz is the native MacOS windowing system. X11 exists as a rootless
>>> X Window environment for Quartz. There is (to my knowledge) no sign of
>>> XWayland for Mac OS/Quartz.
>>>

>>> On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 5:29 PM, Andrea Giammarchi
>>>
>>>    just wondering: wouldn't a quartz with XWayland on it be able to
>>>    support that already?
>>>
>>>    On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 7:02 PM, Andrew Wagner
>>>    <[hidden email]

Re: OSX and XQuartz support

Rafal Luzynski
28.11.2017 15:48 Andrew Wagner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...] As for the details of the project that use the windowing system, I’m
> uncertain and it would take some effort to figure out what breaks if I tried
> to switch to a Quartz backend.

Just try. Depending on what your project uses and requires it may
work without any problems. Or it may turn out that it does not compile
at all and it's better to rewrite the project from scratch.

> So asked another way, what are the jhbuild commands to build GTK on a
> linux/unix system?

If you are asking about GTK+ 2.x series, I've checked this and it looks
like it has been dropped from the main modulesets and moved to gnome-world.
[1] The command to build is: jhbuild build gtk+-2 [2] but it will not
work unless you enable gnome-world moduleset. You must create (or edit)
the file ~/.config/jhbuildrc and add this line:

moduleset = 'gnome-world'

More details: [3]

So maybe it's better to think about GTK+ 3.x or 4.x?

Regards,

Rafal

[1] https://git.gnome.org/browse/jhbuild/commit/?id=fdbdda7
[2] https://developer.gnome.org/jhbuild/stable/getting-started.html.en