Feature suggest for GTK 4

Natanael Barbosa Santos
English: Add retrocompatibility with GTK 2.x or easy port like QT 4 to QT 5:

https://wiki.qt.io/Transition_from_Qt_4.x_to_Qt5

This would keep the developers in GTK and avoid the massive migration from GTK to QT

Português brasileiro: Adicionar retrocompatibilidade com GTK 2.x ou um port facilitado como o QT4 para o QT

https://wiki.qt.io/Transition_from_Qt_4.x_to_Qt5

Isso manteria os desenvolvedores no GTK e evitaria a migração maciça de GTK para QT

Thanks for reading/Obrigado por ler

Re: Feature suggest for GTK 4

Emmanuele Bassi
Hi;

you probably want to use [hidden email]. Having said that:

> English: Add retrocompatibility with GTK 2.x or easy port like QT 4 to QT 5:

Definitely not going to happen.

A lot of API provided by GTK is defined at run time — properties,
signals, even the object types. This means we cannot provide a
compatibility layer like Qt does. Types would collide, properties
would behave differently, signals would not be emitted.

Additionally, a compatibility between GTK 2.x and 4.x is absolutely
out of the question; at most, backward compatibility would extend to
the latest stable release (GTK 3.22) not to the old stable release.

https://www.bassi.io
[@] ebassi [@gmail.com]

Re: Feature suggest for GTK 4

Igor Korot
Hi,
In addition to Emmanuele response:

The retrocompatibility you ae talking about is fom Qt4 to Qt5. Its not
from Qt3 to Qt5.
So the GTK will be backward compatible with GTK3 to GTK4 not GTK2 to GTK4.

Thank you.