Emoji with CoreText

John Ralls
Behdad,

Even with gtk-3.22.30, cairo-1.15.12, and pango 1.40.12 I'm not able to get most emoji (and not just the color ones) to display in GtkEntry or even in the Gtk emoji picker. I've tried setting font-family: Apple Color Emoji in gtk.css. Does the pango CoreText backend need some work to support this? How about flipping the font family to Apple Color Emoji to display the emoji block of code points if a different family is used for the "regular" text?

Regards,
John Ralls

Re: Emoji with CoreText

Behdad Esfahbod-3
Hi John,

I don't know how the CoreText backends in Pango / Cairo work. Cannot help I'm afraid :(.

On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 12:01 PM, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
Behdad,

Even with gtk-3.22.30, cairo-1.15.12, and pango 1.40.12 I'm not able to get most emoji (and not just the color ones) to display in GtkEntry or even in the Gtk emoji picker. I've tried setting font-family: Apple Color Emoji in gtk.css. Does the pango CoreText backend need some work to support this? How about flipping the font family to Apple Color Emoji to display the emoji block of code points if a different family is used for the "regular" text?

Regards,
John Ralls

Re: Emoji with CoreText

John Ralls

Behdad,

OK, thanks.

Regards,
John Ralls

> On May 22, 2018, at 4:07 PM, Behdad Esfahbod <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi John,
>
> I don't know how the CoreText backends in Pango / Cairo work. Cannot help I'm afraid :(.
>
> On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 12:01 PM, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Behdad,
>
> Even with gtk-3.22.30, cairo-1.15.12, and pango 1.40.12 I'm not able to get most emoji (and not just the color ones) to display in GtkEntry or even in the Gtk emoji picker. I've tried setting font-family: Apple Color Emoji in gtk.css. Does the pango CoreText backend need some work to support this? How about flipping the font family to Apple Color Emoji to display the emoji block of code points if a different family is used for the "regular" text?
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls
>

> --
> behdad
> http://behdad.org/

Re: Emoji with CoreText

Behdad Esfahbod-3
But yeah, one thing is true: when you see "emoji" in the requeste font family, you should replace it with Apple Color Emoji.

On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 4:28 PM, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:

Behdad,

OK, thanks.

Regards,
John Ralls

> On May 22, 2018, at 4:07 PM, Behdad Esfahbod <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi John,
>
> I don't know how the CoreText backends in Pango / Cairo work. Cannot help I'm afraid :(.
>
> On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 12:01 PM, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Behdad,
>
> Even with gtk-3.22.30, cairo-1.15.12, and pango 1.40.12 I'm not able to get most emoji (and not just the color ones) to display in GtkEntry or even in the Gtk emoji picker. I've tried setting font-family: Apple Color Emoji in gtk.css. Does the pango CoreText backend need some work to support this? How about flipping the font family to Apple Color Emoji to display the emoji block of code points if a different family is used for the "regular" text?
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls
>

> --
> behdad
> http://behdad.org/

Re: Emoji with CoreText

John Ralls
Behdad,

OK, thanks. Looks like it was Mathias Classen who did the patch that enabled color glyphs in cairo-ft-fonts.c, and they're so far not implemented anywhere else.

Regards,
John Ralls