Dead links to documentation

Kasper Peeters-2
The links to the glibmm documentation on

  https://www.gtkmm.org/en/documentation.html

all lead to empty pages. The only thing that works is going via the
'developer.gnome.org C++ Bindings' link.

Cheers,
Kasper

Re: Dead links to documentation

Daniel Boles

Re: Dead links to documentation

Kasper Peeters-2
> The links to the glibmm documentation on
>
>   https://www.gtkmm.org/en/documentation.html
>
> all lead to empty pages. The only thing that works is going via the
> 'developer.gnome.org C++ Bindings' link.

And even that now leads to empty pages; there seems to be no site
anymore that carries the gtkmm docs.

If I can help getting this back online, let me know.

Thanks,
Kasper

Re: Dead links to documentation

Gtkmm mailing list
Yes, clearly the new releases of 3.22 and/or 3.24 just suffer from the same problem (3.22 does not work, and stable is either that or 3.24), and it's going to keep happening and become more of a problem until someone fixes it. Either way, there is a bug for it (see below), and unfortunately all of us just posting "me too" doesn't help fix that.

This seems to require someone from the GNOME documentation site helping out the gtkmm team, because they haven't conclusively figured out the problem or a fix, otherwise the bug would be resolved: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/glibmm/issues/26

In terms of a quick workaround The latest gtkmm docs that work are 3.20; substitute "3.20" for "stable" in any doc URLs, and hope the old docs are still accurate enough, or just read the header Doxygen documentation. For glibmm, the substitution for stable will be 2.52 I would guess (at least that's what I most recently used).

On 2018-11-13 14:23, Daniel Boles via gtkmm-list wrote:

> Yes, clearly the new releases of 3.22 and/or 3.24 just suffer from the
> same problem (3.22 does not work, and stable is either that or 3.24),
> and it's going to keep happening and become more of a problem until
> someone fixes it. Either way, there is a bug for it (see below), and
> unfortunately all of us just posting "me too" doesn't help fix that.
>
> This seems to require someone from the GNOME documentation site
> helping out the gtkmm team, because they haven't conclusively figured
> out the problem or a fix, otherwise the bug would be resolved:
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/glibmm/issues/26
>
> In terms of a quick workaround The latest gtkmm docs that work are
> 3.20; substitute "3.20" for "stable" in any doc URLs, and hope the old
> docs are still accurate enough, or just read the header Doxygen
> documentation. For glibmm, the substitution for stable will be 2.52 I
> would guess (at least that's what I most recently used).

See also https://gitlab.gnome.org/Infrastructure/Websites/issues/236

This has been a known problem for more than a year. The program that
publishes reference documentation for released modules at
https://developer.gnome.org/<module-name>/<version> is not compatible
with new versions of Doxygen. The reference documentation in tarballs of
glibmm, gtkmm and many other *mm modules consists of html files,
generated by Doxygen. Some program modifies these html files before they
are published at https://developer.gnome.org/<module-name>/<version>.

/Kjell

Re: Dead links to documentation

Kasper Peeters-2
> This has been a known problem for more than a year. The program that
> publishes reference documentation for released modules at
> https://developer.gnome.org/<module-name>/<version> is not compatible
> with new versions of Doxygen.

Does anyone know who is in charge of this? Not having documentation
for large parts of gnome online is a sure way to lose users. I'm happy
to help, but I don't even know whom to contact (have posted to
[hidden email] as well but no response so far).

On 2018-11-13 19:46, Kasper Peeters wrote:
This has been a known problem for more than a year. The program that
publishes reference documentation for released modules at
https://developer.gnome.org/<module-name>/<version> is not compatible
with new versions of Doxygen.
Does anyone know who is in charge of this? Not having documentation
for large parts of gnome online is a sure way to lose users. I'm happy
to help, but I don't even know whom to contact (have posted to
[hidden email] as well but no response so far).

Cheers,
Kasper

I see now that the issue that I linked to in my previous post has been moved to
https://gitlab.gnome.org/Infrastructure/library-web/issues/12

Infrastructure/library-web is probably the right place to start looking, especially the library-web/src/modtypes/htmlfiles.py file. I think that's where our Doxygen-generated html files are transformed to what's shown at developer.gnome.org. The htmlfiles.py file was last updated in February 2014. Many recent commits to library-web have been done by Frédéric Péters [hidden email].

/Kjell

On 2018-11-14 13:18, Kjell Ahlstedt wrote:
On 2018-11-13 19:46, Kasper Peeters wrote:
[...]

Kasper, have you tried to find anyone that can fix the missing documentation? Or have you tried to look into library-web yourself? It would certainly be fine to have this problem fixed. I feel that I'm not the right person to fix it. I've tested some local fixes in library-web, as I've said in a comment and an attached patch in library-web issue #12. Probably data/xslt/html2html.xsl and data/skin/doxygen.css need some patching. I know very little about these types of files.

If this is not fixed, I suppose we will have to use an old version of Doxygen when we generate documentation for tarballs. It's unfortunate that library-web depends so much on the exact structure of the html files that Doxygen generates.

/Kjell

Re: Dead links to documentation

Kasper Peeters-2
> Kasper, have you tried to find anyone that can fix the missing
> documentation? Or have you tried to look into library-web yourself?

I have tried several people directly and have also posted to the
contact address for the web team, but no response. I get the feeling
this has been totally abandonded, which is a real shame because there
are people like me who would be willing to contribute.

I am happy to do the digging myself, but only if I can get through to
someone who can then push it to the gitlab repo and anywhere else it
needs to go to make the change take effect. Without that guarantee it's
a waste of my time as well.

So if _anyone_ here with write access to the relevant bits of the
gitlab repo could just say "sure, I'll push it once you have fixed it",
that would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Kasper