Building gtkmm in Visual Studio

Mateusz Adamczyk
Hi,

I am trying to build gtkmm on Windows for vcpkg. In this packages manager, there are already satisfied dependencies up to libsig++ (2.99.9). I would like to add gtkmm to vcpkg, but I am stuck on building glibmm. If I build sources from git, then there are missing files (eg. unicode.h). On the other hand, if I build sources from ftp, then there are no missing files, but files,  which weren't in git,  use old syntax for signals. What is the best way to build glibmm from sources with Visual Studio?

Best Regards,
Mateusz

Re: Building gtkmm in Visual Studio

Daniel Boles
Building from git master will build the current dev branch, but it sounds like your FTP archive was a snapshot of a stable branch.

Which FTP download did you use? There are some of the 3.9x branch that should incorporate the sigc++ template syntax changes, as they're up to date.

Re: Re: Building gtkmm in Visual Studio

Mateusz Adamczyk
By FTP I mean: http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/glibmm/ (version 2.52 and 2.54). As for git, I had in mind obtaining zip file from https://git.gnome.org/browse/glibmm/.

Now I see, that there are some files with .hg extension in git sources. Should I do something before opening solution file in Visual Studio?

Message: 5
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2017 12:12:52 +0100
From: Daniel Boles <[hidden email]>
To: gtkmm-list <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: Building gtkmm in Visual Studio

Building from git master will build the current dev branch, but it sounds
like your FTP archive was a snapshot of a stable branch.

Which FTP download did you use? There are some of the 3.9x branch that
should incorporate the sigc++ template syntax changes, as they're up to
date.
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

On 4 October 2017 at 14:22, Mateusz Adamczyk <[hidden email]> wrote:
By FTP I mean: http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/glibmm/ (version 2.52 and 2.54). As for git, I had in mind obtaining zip file from https://git.gnome.org/browse/glibmm/.

Yes, and I meant, which zip? If it was a master one, then it will require corresponding unstable versions of all related dependencies. You won't be able to mix and match e.g. master glibmm and stable sigc++.

Now I see, that there are some files with .hg extension in git sources. Should I do something before opening solution file in Visual Studio?

Well, before the library can be built and installed, the *.*g files need to be processed with gmmproc in order to generate actual C++ files.

If you're creating a VS project to build any mm library, that is pretty much the first step it needs to run.