Boot error after install gtk-3-0

윤진영

Dear gtk-list

Hi, I'm Jin Young Youn.

I have problems in installing gtk3.

I want to install GXSM 3 for MK3-PLL.

I'm using ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS.

Because GXSM3 needs gtk3, I tried to install gtk3 following this guide.

(Before my gtk3 version is 3.20.8 and I need 3.21.9 at least.)

https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/gtk-building.html

I have installed Glib2.52, pango, atk, gtk 3.22.4(use ./configure make make install ) also any other dependencies.

But after installing, the version of gtk3 doesn't change.

More serious is Computer can't boot after I tried reboot.

Thanks you and please help me.

ps.  I'm a beginner of linux. I can't attached any terminal message .

Re: Boot error after install gtk-3-0

Igor Korot
Hi,

On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 11:26 AM, 윤진영 <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear gtk-list

Hi, I'm Jin Young Youn.

I have problems in installing gtk3.

I want to install GXSM 3 for MK3-PLL.

I'm using ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS.

Because GXSM3 needs gtk3, I tried to install gtk3 following this guide.

(Before my gtk3 version is 3.20.8 and I need 3.21.9 at least.)

https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/gtk-building.html

Dependencies. Before you can compile the GTK+ widget toolkit, you need to have various other tools and libraries installed on your system.

I have installed Glib2.52, pango, atk, gtk 3.22.4(use ./configure make make install ) also any other dependencies.

But after installing, the version of gtk3 doesn't change.

More serious is Computer can't boot after I tried reboot.

Thanks you and please help me.

Why are you compiling by yourself and not installing from repository?
Moreover, it should not prevent you from booting.

What error did you get after reboot?

Thank you.

ps.  I'm a beginner of linux. I can't attached any terminal message .

Re: Boot error after install gtk-3-0

Gtk+ - General mailing list

Hi Jin Young Youn,

Stick with what apt-get retrieves on Ubuntu16.04. As far as I know it is GTK3.18. That is what Ubuntu16.04 is designed to work with. If you want to test with another version of GTK on Ubuntu16.04 use jhbuild to set up the version of GTK you want to use. That way you can test with GTK3.18 and GTK3.22 or a newer version of GTK on Ubuntu16.04.

Eric

Re: Boot error after install gtk-3-0

Rafal Luzynski
22.10.2017 20:20 Igor Korot <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
>  On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 11:26 AM, 윤진영 <[hidden email]
> mailto:[hidden email] > wrote:
>    > >
> >    Dear gtk-list
> >

> >    Hi, I'm Jin Young Youn.
> >
> >    I have problems in installing gtk3.
> > [...]
>  Why are you compiling by yourself and not installing from repository?
>  Moreover, it should not prevent you from booting.
>
>  What error did you get after reboot?
> [...]

I think that the answer to your question "why are you compiling..."
is already below:

> >    ps.  I'm a beginner of linux. I can't attached any terminal message .

Indeed, there is an instruction how to compile GTK+ from scratch but
it does not say that this instruction is not encouraged for modern
Linux distributions which deliver GTK+ in a built binary.

Also the incorrectly installed GTK+ does not prevent the system from
booting but may prevent GUI (X, Wayland, GDM, GNOME) from starting
which may mean the same from  the beginner's point of view.

Jin, you should not follow that instruction which you followed.
This is not for beginners. Now as you say that your system does
not boot, in your case probably it's easier to reinstall it from
scratch.

If you really need GTK+ version 3.21.9 and newer (note: the number
21 or any other odd number instead means this is a developers release,
for developers who develop GTK+ itself, not those who use GTK+ to
develop other applications, you should need 3.22.0 instead) and
it really looks like you do you should instead (choose one):

- use a newer version of Ubuntu, it does not have to be LTS,
- use a different distribution (e.g., Fedora 25 which is the oldest
  supported version ships GTK+ 3.22 series),
- create a virtual machine and install a newer distribution,
- use JHBuild [1] which will download the newest GTK+ source and
  build and install it locally without destruction of your whole
  Linux installation.

Regards,

Rafal

[1] https://wiki.gnome.org/HowDoI/Jhbuild