Beast freeze the system after play any sound

Beast freeze the system after play any sound

CidoLoco
i compiled beast and bse-alsa in a slackware 10.2
the program runs fine and the sound too
but when i press the stop button or the song/sample finish, all the system freeze, not only beast, but all the system

anybody have any idea?

thanks

Re: Beast freeze after play any sound

Tim Janik
On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, CidoLoco (sent by Nabble.com) wrote:

> i compiled beast and bse-alsa in a slackware 10.2
> the program runs fine and the sound too
> but when i press the stop button or the song/sample finish, all the system freeze, not only beast, but all the system
>
> anybody have any idea?

this sounds like a kernel bug in the sounddriver, definitely.
no unix user-space application should ever be able to bring the
whole system down.
several (older) OSS and ALSA linux sound drivers are known to
be buggy and have stability problems. chances are, that upgrading
your kernel or sound driver will fix the problem. also, you can
try reporting it to the development list of your sound driver,
e.g. if you're using an ALSA driver.

> thanks

---
ciaoTJ

Re: Beast freeze after play any sound

Will Light
On 1/17/06, CidoLoco (sent by Nabble.com) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  i compiled beast and bse-alsa in a slackware 10.2
> the program runs fine and the sound too
> but when i press the stop button or the song/sample finish, all the system
> freeze, not only beast, but all the system
>
> anybody have any idea?

I had this exact same problem with 2.6.9, I fixed it by downgrading to
2.6.8.1, and in 2.6.15_rc5 Beast works fine.

> thanks

Hope that helps.

Re: Beast freeze after play any sound

CidoLoco
thanks for the replies =)

i'm using the 2.4.34 kernel (because of my modem), and i saw something curious:
when i use the command "beast --bse-driver-list" it show the pcm device right, but after this, when will show the midi device it wait a few seconds, print some text to the screen and after this the system freeze (again =( )
i don't have a midi soundcard, and don't get midi to work correctly in my system using a sis 7018 wave (pc-chips m 810, sis 630 chipset) and i don't need the midi working because i only have to use a few samples and synthetyzers

may be my soundcard?

thanks for the replies, and i solved my problem =)

its actually my midi sound driver, and the only thing i had to do is start beast with "beast -m null", and everything runs fine =)

thanks =)