Announcement of Visual Studio 2015 projects and solutions for Gtkmm and GTK+

12

Announcement of Visual Studio 2015 projects and solutions for Gtkmm and GTK+

codekiddy
Hello there!

I'm glad to be able to announce new release of Visual Studio 2015 projects and solutions to compile GTK+, Gtkmm, all it's dependencies
solely by using Visual Studio, as well as few other popular "hard to build" libraries.

To best illustrate which packages you can build with these projects and solutions see this image

Entry repository is available on GitHub Visual Studio gtkmm

There is also an updated Visual Studio gtkmm wiki to help beginners building gtkmm from scratch.

Any possible updates will be pushed to msvc-140 branch, up to next release of Visual Studio.

Thank you!

~codekiddy

Re: Announcement of Visual Studio 2015 projects and solutions for Gtkmm and GTK+

Miroslav Rajcic-3
Looks nice, it's appreciated very much!
Any chance to add GtkSourceView library in the mix ?

Regards,
  Miroslav

On 27.11.2015. 7:59, codekiddy wrote:
Hello there!

I'm glad to be able to announce new release of Visual Studio 2015 projects and solutions to compile GTK+, Gtkmm, all it's dependencies
solely by using Visual Studio, as well as few other popular "hard to build" libraries.

To best illustrate which packages you can build with these projects and solutions see this image

Entry repository is available on GitHub Visual Studio gtkmm

There is also an updated Visual Studio gtkmm wiki to help beginners building gtkmm from scratch.

Any possible updates will be pushed to msvc-140 branch, up to next release of Visual Studio.

Thank you!

~codekiddy

Re: Announcement of Visual Studio 2015 projects and solutions for Gtkmm and GTK+

Ignacio Casal Quinteiro
Also I started to work in a way to automatize the builds:
https://github.com/nacho/icbuild

Still far from ready but any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 8:18 AM, Miroslav Rajcic <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

And to point out that most of the gtk projects and deps
already provide the visual studio projects. i.e you can see them here:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/tree/build/win32

Cheers.

--
Ignacio Casal Quinteiro

Re: Announcement of Visual Studio 2015 projects and solutions for Gtkmm and GTK+

codekiddy
Hi Miroslav!

I have added your suggestion to my TODO list, which is at present already too long, I truly hope to clear this list one day.
But for now, I don't know, it's too early and there is still a lot of stuff to do with current status as you can see.

Thank you for feedback!

[...]

Wow, so happy to meet other people with so rare interests!

I think You, Fan-Chun-wei and me should join forces. and merge our hard work into one common ultimate repo!

Together we should do stuff better than each one their own side.

On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 8:29 AM, Ignacio Casal Quinteiro <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I've checked the git repository:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtksourceview/tree

but I fail to see any VS2015 related files.

Regards,
  Miroslav

On 27.11.2015. 8:29, Ignacio Casal Quinteiro wrote:
[...]

I've seen most of the links before in the past.
Hexchat seemed promising at the time, but their unwillingness to fix or change anything to the project that is not related to them (including building GtkSourceView) was a big disappointment.
Some other projects are for GTK+ 3.x only, and that makes them unusable to me.

Msys2 project is currently the easiest way to build the GTK stack on Windows, but the issue here is the use of mingw compiler. My measurements show that my own program compiled with msys2 stack (using -O2 optimization level) is up to 50% slower in some tasks compared to binary produced by VS2013/VS2015.

In the end, I must say, that as the time passes, I appreciate more and more the work that Tor Lillqvist used to put to provide GTK+ binaries for Windows. I don't think any other project has matured to step in and to the work that he has provided.

On Windows, IMO, the ideal project would have to provide binaries (not just source), probably built with VS2015 and support both GTK2.x and GTK3.x stack. Additional points would be to build gstreamer, GtkSourceView and many other commonly used libraries.

Currently, I see many projects related to building GTK for Windows, each doing work on their own without central/common project.

Regards,
  Miroslav

On 27.11.2015. 8:27, Ignacio Casal Quinteiro wrote:
[...]

I've just cloned the GtkSourceView from here
I'll try to create solution for VS 2015 and send you a link for download.

On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 8:50 AM, Miroslav Rajcic <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

See that you need at least 2 kind of binaries, one created with mingw64 and another with visual studio. Since you should not mix the runtimes.
For GtkSourceView we would welcome visual studio projects upstream but we still did not have time to make them. Right now Fan is the only
one that is able to make proper visual studio projects in a maintainable way.

About merging efforts I completely agree, see that Fan has pushed lately lots of patches to Harfbuzz to get proper support for VS and he is
also working on nmake makefiles for it.
From my side you can find quite a few patches in libsoup master to make it build properly. The visual studio projects are in my downstream
repo since they need to be reviewed by Fan.

Cheers.

LRN

On 27.11.2015 9:59, codekiddy wrote:
> compile GTK+, Gtkmm, all it's dependencies
> solely by using Visual Studio, as well as few other popular "hard to build"
> libraries.

Is there a particular reason to use MSVS as-is instead of using a
multi-toolchain buildsystem (such as CMake) with the MS toolchain?

--
O< ascii ribbon - stop html email! - www.asciiribbon.org

Re: Announcement of Visual Studio 2015 projects and solutions for Gtkmm and GTK+

Murray Cumming-5
On Fri, 2015-11-27 at 07:59 +0100, codekiddy wrote:

> Hello there!
>
> I'm glad to be able to announce new release of Visual Studio 2015
> projects and solutions to compile GTK+, Gtkmm, all it's dependencies
> solely by using Visual Studio, as well as few other popular "hard to
> build" libraries.
>
> To best illustrate which packages you can build with these projects
> and solutions see this image
>
> Entry repository is available on GitHub Visual Studio gtkmm
>
> There is also an updated Visual Studio gtkmm wiki to help beginners
> building gtkmm from scratch.
>
> Any possible updates will be pushed to msvc-140 branch, up to next
> release of Visual Studio.

Well done.

We have MS Visual Studio project files in our regular *mm repositories.
Could you submit patches to those, if they are not complete, please?

For instance:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/glibmm/tree/MSVC_Net2013

--
Murray Cumming
[hidden email]

Re: Announcement of Visual Studio 2015 projects and solutions for Gtkmm and GTK+

codekiddy
Yes, CMAKE is not very user friendly and for most of dependencies (actually almost all) one needs to create cmake files first.

Also creating projects with VS is far easier than doing all from scratch with cmake.

Not only that but most beginners who ie. just want to have gtk+/gtkmm run in latest VS might have hard time
to learn how to debug possible build errors with cmake.

I know it's possible to generate Solutions with cmake, but making build system with VS just goes faster (for me at least).

On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 9:15 AM, LRN <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 27.11.2015 9:59, codekiddy wrote:
> compile GTK+, Gtkmm, all it's dependencies
> solely by using Visual Studio, as well as few other popular "hard to build"
> libraries.

Is there a particular reason to use MSVS as-is instead of using a
multi-toolchain buildsystem (such as CMake) with the MS toolchain?

--
O< ascii ribbon - stop html email! - www.asciiribbon.org

Re: Announcement of Visual Studio 2015 projects and solutions for Gtkmm and GTK+

Asterix86
Le 2015-11-27 09:04, Miroslav Rajcic a écrit :

> I've seen most of the links before in the past.
> Hexchat seemed promising at the time, but their unwillingness to fix
> or change anything to the project that is not related to them
> (including building GtkSourceView) was a big disappointment.
> Some other projects are for GTK+ 3.x only, and that makes them
> unusable to me.
>
> Msys2 project is currently the easiest way to build the GTK stack on
> Windows, but the issue here is the use of mingw compiler. My
> measurements show that my own program compiled with msys2 stack (using
> -O2 optimization level) is up to 50% slower in some tasks compared to
> binary produced by VS2013/VS2015.
>
> In the end, I must say, that as the time passes, I appreciate more and
> more the work that Tor Lillqvist used to put to provide GTK+ binaries
> for Windows. I don't think any other project has matured to step in
> and to the work that he has provided.
>
> On Windows, IMO, the ideal project would have to provide binaries (not
> just source), probably built with VS2015 and support both GTK2.x and
> GTK3.x stack. Additional points would be to build gstreamer,
> GtkSourceView and many other commonly used libraries.

It's available here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pygobjectwin32/

> Currently, I see many projects related to building GTK for Windows,
> each doing work on their own without central/common project.

It's exactly what GTK developpers want, the same as under linux: each
distrib build it's own binaries
--
Yann

Re: Announcement of Visual Studio 2015 projects and solutions for Gtkmm and GTK+

codekiddy
Sure, why not, Actually I used these as a starting point, I'll be glad to contribute!
.
Although instead of working on patches on existing solutions (and working on multiple versions for each VS), it should be easier to just push new "reworked" solutions somehow?

Although I'm not sure how to make them work inside source tree (because project properties are one folder level outside of source tree), but it's worth discussing to see what changes can be done to make them work and incorporate into source tree.

What say you?

On Fri, 2015-11-27 at 09:55 +0100, codekiddy wrote:
> Sure, why not, Actually I used these as a starting point, I'll be
> glad to contribute!
> .
> Although instead of working on patches on existing solutions (and
> working on multiple versions for each VS), it should be easier to
> just push new "reworked" solutions somehow?

It's important that improvements can be tracked as distinct commits, so
we can see what has actually changed and why.

At first, you'd have to submit patches to bugzilla, but you can quickly
earn my trust so I just let you push directly. For instance, I'm happy
for Chun-wei Fan to just make the changes he thinks are necessary.
Hopefully you can work together on this, with others too.

> Although I'm not sure how to make them work inside source tree
> (because project properties are one folder level outside of source
> tree), but it's worth discussing to see what changes can be done to
> make them work and incorporate into source tree.
>
> What say you?

Apparently the existing projects work so far at least for some people,
so please do try to work with the existing system.

--
Murray Cumming
[hidden email]

Re: Announcement of Visual Studio 2015 projects and solutions for Gtkmm and GTK+

Miroslav Rajcic-3
Hi Yann,

On 27.11.2015. 9:40, Yann Leboulanger wrote:

>> On Windows, IMO, the ideal project would have to provide binaries (not
>> just source), probably built with VS2015 and support both GTK2.x and
>> GTK3.x stack. Additional points would be to build gstreamer,
>> GtkSourceView and many other commonly used libraries.
>
> It's available here:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/pygobjectwin32/

Doesn't seem that user friendly to me (at least if not interested in
Python part):
- single installer forcing me to pre-install Python or else it will quit
- wiki seems to indicate that it is focused to GTK v3, what about GTK
2.x? (links to some legacy versions exists but their installers are big
500kB only, and there is no documentation on what they contain)
- uses gcc to build modules, not VS2015
- general lack of documentation of what is to be found within
- probably lacks 64-bit builds

>> Currently, I see many projects related to building GTK for Windows,
>> each doing work on their own without central/common project.
>
> It's exactly what GTK developpers want, the same as under linux: each
> distrib build it's own binaries

I don't agree with such view: Windows can be viewed as single distro, so
it makes no sense to me why having so many projects?
I very much admire how Qt provides clean installer for Windows,
installing also debug together with release versions of the libraries.

The idea is to enable developers to have as painless experience as possible.
I don't see the reason why would some GTK+ application developer be
forced to build entire stack before starting to program its app.

Regards,
   Miroslav

Re: Announcement of Visual Studio 2015 projects and solutions for Gtkmm and GTK+

codekiddy
>It's important that improvements can be tracked as distinct commits, so
>we can see what has actually changed and why.

I understand, and thank you for your trust. I'll give my best to take time when possible.
Can't promise to much since I'm pushing most of free time into my own project designs.

What can't be misdone for sure is to add test projects, to existing solutions, since almost every
source tree has sources for test projects but no actual project files to perform tests against the
library once build is done.

There is nothing wrong with currently present projects in source tree, and they work fine, assuming
one follows directions mentioned in readme files and additionally follows Fan's tutorial, of course to
make things easy.

problem is building dependencies, there is no single place on the internet where users could
download VS projects for dependencies that will truly work without build errors.

I made my VS repo just because of this, to have and share a single place of projects within reach whenever needed.

I'm not sure where and how to start?

obviously first thing is to adjust dependencies first to make it possible
to validate actions done in projects before submitting any patches.