Agreed - KARMA By Mid-July Explanation

Gage Morgan
Here in about a week I'll be out in the middle of the Carribean without Internet on a cruise ship, so I'm just putting that out there. As for the extreme amount of activity, that probably happened as soon as I got here, as the first person to respond was Madeleine, and it went downhill when I started to "bug" the devs - pun intended. I don't mean to be most of the time, but I end up a walking, talking controversy for only God knows what reason.

After I arrived, I saw a lot of people show up I hadn't seen before, particularly Bruno and Alexandre. I needed this for a project being worked on by myself and my friend, Elijah. So I was persistant and people showed up.

As for the website, does anyone here think a wiki would fit? Anyways, I partially want to retheme the website because this one still uses the legacy theme. So, I started with the mailing list first because I tried IRC and it was like radio silence out there. I just thought this looked like a good place to kickstart, and now look, people!

Anyways, I appreciate the support I've been able to find here, because most communities would rather argue with me for some reason or other, and that rant I just went on (sorry about that, but bureaucracies do happen to piss me off) was one hing that draws negative attention. If it's to the point past that I usually just leave, but this community is starting to dig itself back out of its grave that an assumption made people think it was in. And then that assumption that it was dead put it underground for some time, although it never died officially. Now we're kickstarting, and I cannot wait for about halfway into July, because that's possibly the best time to start trying for karma (I'm writing on an iPad right now) because I'm on vacation with one side of my family but in about a week I'll be heading out to Puerto Rico to board a cruise ship and I'm a bit sad Internet is like $0.50 a minute. I can do some of the basic stuff, but you know it's an iPad, and sometimes carrying a laptop around with you if not at a developer conference or similar event can be a risk. I've taken it to WordCamp, but I'm in a cabin in the woods for about a week. Then there's the TSA that we have to worry about, and my trust with them is low due to past experience (go study up on some regulations etc., before flight because there may be fight beforehand, they are kinda snoopy) and a $500 laptop that works great for $500. I would take it but I have other developer projeccts on there that I don't want someone else to have, and it's running on Ubuntu, which is Linux on physical hardware, and if you know anything about that, you can do bad things with access to the physical hardware.

So, having said that, I'm gonna try to get karma in about two to two and a half weeks, it may toward the middle of next month. Thanks guys, this is why I've stayed. ;)

--MGage--

Re: Agreed - KARMA By Mid-July Explanation

Ángel González
Gage Morgan wrote:
> Here in about a week I'll be out in the middle of the Carribean without Internet on a cruise ship, so I'm just putting that out there. (...) Now we're kickstarting, and I cannot wait for about halfway into July, because that's possibly the best time to start trying for karma (I'm writing on an iPad right now) because I'm on vacation with one side of my family but in about a week I'll be heading out to Puerto Rico to board a cruise ship and I'm a bit sad Internet is like $0.50 a minute. I can do some of the basic stuff, but you know it's an iPad, and sometimes carrying a laptop around with you if not at a developer conference or similar event can be a risk. I've taken it to WordCamp, but I'm in a cabin in the woods for about a week. Then there's the TSA that we have to worry about, and my trust with them is low due to past experience (go study up on some regulations etc., before flight because there may be fight beforehand, they are kinda snoopy) and a $500 laptop that works great for $500. I would take it but I have other developer projeccts on there that I don't want someone else to have, and it's running on Ubuntu, which is Linux on physical hardware, and if you know anything about that, you can do bad things with access to the physical hardware.
Note that git is wonderful for offline working. You can clone php-gtk,
and any other project you may need (glib, cairo...) and work
disconnected for a month,* then merge your changes.
You will need a laptop, though. You could take an image of your laptop
(leave that at home), then format it and reinstall with a crypted
filesystem (LUKS), so no data can extracted unless you provide the
password at boot (however there's the "$5 wrench attack"). I'm not sure
if you are concerned about the TSA messsing with your hardware, either.

* Most likely, you will realise you miss many dependencies at the
beginning, so I don't recommend not using it until you're in the ocean.

RE: Agreed - KARMA By Mid-July Explanation

Gage Morgan
I cannot take my laptop with me; family members get agrivated though I want to.