About Contributions

Gage Morgan
Hey, guys, I'm having the same problem Bruno has, and I'm a bit irritated about it:

In order to contribute to PHP.net, you need an insane amount of requirements completed to contribute to any projects under PHP.net. It's a bureaucracy, and if they say its meritocracy, they should go look at WordPress. WordPress actually votes on what gets added in the next release, but if you do a project and bring it to the table, you are judged on how many contributions were made prior and your level of "merit" is decided based on how many contributions for the good were made in the past. Although what gets in and out is up to the leads, what projects get worked on can be brought to the table and worked on, but then to get into the release a team from WordPress core and the community will look into each project and either say it will or it won't be added. I did ask over there to work on a project, and Andrew Nacin replied that projects don't go by a version basis but instead a completion. So if your project doesn't make it, there's always next time.

But I'm not seeing the same drive at php.net. Putting politics aside, wouldn't you think they would WANT contributions? And the same with WordPress.org, though you usually go through someone else with commit access, as I've read that usually only leads keep commit rights, and leads get chosen by Matt Mullenwag or something like that, every two years. But anyway, I'm finding it increasingly harder to do things around here. I don't know why they need to make things harder than they should be, especially for side projects of theirs that they keep like this one. I'm not giving up at all, but if possible, they got two people with potential that need appropriate rights, one with very basic knowledge of C++, the other with none, and that's with me and Bruno: He doesn't like KARMA any more than I do, and I realize what they're trying to do (security, etc.) but it only ever makes things harder to do for those who are new and mean well (like me and Bruno).

Now, I realize to develop this you do need some C/C++ knowledge, but to get git commit access/KARMA, you need to write C code for the PHP main branch first, which is where I'm stuck at in the process, instead of doing what I came here to do in the first place, which is working with Alexandre and Bruno, who happens to have the same issue as the one I just mentioned here. So, before anyone is offended, I apologize for the rant, but this project is going nowhere fast without contributors, and those contributors that this particular project need the most are stuck on the other side of the front door without a key. You have two contributors; one who gave up trying to get in, the other weighing his options. Bruno and I can only do what we came here to do if we're given appropriate permissions, and right now, there's no proper way for PHP.net to tell we're not two trolls on the Internet looking to grief some data (which we're not; we are actually quite the exact opposite). I don't know whether he meant to send this to the group or not, but he sent me this message, and my God he sounded desperate:

> Hello Gage, sorry for delay to answer you, first for my personal issues,
> second for my bad english
>
> ​For years I have see​n very enthusiasts people, who never seen c/c++
> sources and with alot of pression to do the project. So I decided to create
> my own repo on github, and make some tests
>
> My tests are not definitively, and has alot of things to think about.
> Structures, generators, people to code, and alot other things
>
> I have created this repo about a year ago, and nobody contribute with one
> line of code, and think about all php-gtk structure alone can be hard
>
> I think you can see how disappointed I am, but my tests will continue, on
> my time, but will continue
>
> Thank you, and whisp me for ANYTHING you need

So, while I finish this message, please consider contacting SOMEBODY who can do something about this, even if you disagree with what I'm saying. I forget whether or not it was PHP that said it was a meritocracy, because I'm starting to see more and more of them by the day, such as Ubuntu. But regardless, in order to help, it shouldn't mean you should have to go through Mission Impossible in order to do so.

I don't mean to sound like Tupac when I say this, but don't you think it might be time for a change, albeit a small one? Well, there's two guys waiting to get started, and one of them is me, so while I struggle to get in, someone else gave up, and that someone else gave up because no matter how hard he knocked, apparently nobody let him in.

Thank you; you are probably the best community of developers I've seen, and a appreciate your support and/or patience.

--MGage--

Re: About Contributions

Ben Ramsey
Contributing code to the PHP core is not a requirement for getting karma to PHP-GTK. If you have patches for PHP-GTK, send them as pull requests, and I can get them in for you (I have PHP-GTK karma). After I've merged in a pull request or two, we can do a karma request, and I'll be happy to vouch for you.

- Ben

> [...]
>
> I don't mean to sound like Tupac when I say this, but don't you think it might be time for a change, albeit a small one? Well, there's two guys waiting to get started, and one of them is me, so while I struggle to get in, someone else gave up, and that someone else gave up because no matter how hard he knocked, apparently nobody let him in.
>
> Thank you; you are probably the best community of developers I've seen, and a appreciate your support and/or patience.

Re: About Contributions

Mihamina Rakotomandimby
On 06/22/2015 01:56 AM, Gage Morgan wrote:
> Hey, guys, I'm having the same problem Bruno has, and I'm a bit irritated about it:
>
> In order to contribute to PHP.net, you need an insane amount of requirements completed to contribute to any projects under PHP.net. It's a bureaucracy,

I really agree that this is bureaucracy.
But on the other hand, remind that PHP *had* (note it's in the past) a
long time reputation of "amateur langage" and they (PHP Bureau) really
need to get rid of it.
I dont have the full story, but one solution for you is to get you
patches through Ben, as he suggested.

Keep going on, Gage.
Cheers.